• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why Conservatives Are Obsessed With Cultural Issues

Are you seriously unaware the Liberals do this with at least the same frequency as do Conservatives?

Actually, a huge reason why I moved from the right to the left was because conservatives always seemed obsessed with stupid ass culture wars that age poorly. Remember 'freedom fries?' Or that PoS Kim Davis and her refusal to marry a gay couple?

And I'm not saying there aren't leftists out there with cringey takes on cultural issues. Some do actually take 'cancel culture' too far (just as the right do on their end). But conservatives are mostly just raging at Twitter warriors and woke teenagers. They are nobodies. The somebodies in leftwing media typically focus on economic issues. I'm talking ACTUAL leftwing media like Democracy Now, David Pakman, Majority Report, etc.

Of course, we can't throw out ALL regulations of small businesses. I don't want to end food inspections of a family-owned restaurant I may dine at.

Agreed, where would we be without government food inspectors?

Here's a restaurant in one of the most highly regulated cities in the country. It's just another success of the progressive regulatory state:

GOP policies are all pro-corporate, so when discussing economics, the best they can do is blow smoke, since most of their constituents are in fact benefited by Democratic economic policies.

So... keep them scared about immigrants, trans, Muslims, black people, etc., to distract from the reality that the GOP is in fact their enemy.
Eh white wingers have been known to nuke anything that could benefit us all just because a black guy would benefit (see the racist backlash towards the great society)

Seems like more than ever conservatives are hyper focused on cultural debates and far less focused on economic issues. While I consider many cultural and societal issues to be important, they are often used as a distraction from our economic problems. I think a big reason why conservatives are so focused on culture is because they dont know where they stand on economics. Are they free market or protectionist? Pro big corporation or anti big corporation? They dont know. It seems like the American conservative movement is stuck in limbo and so they direct their ire towards non issues like Mr Potato Head or publication of Dr. Seuss books no one has ever read.
Ironic title since it takes two to tango.

The Republican economic policies have historically done the avg American, incl the Rep base, no good.
Really?

Unemployment %s were down at record lows for ALL demographics before the pandemic.

Eh white wingers have been known to nuke anything that could benefit us all just because a black guy would benefit (see the racist backlash towards the great society)
Look who has latched on to Master Debator's race-baiting slur.

Agreed, where would we be without government food inspectors?

Here's a restaurant in one of the most highly regulated cities in the country. It's just another success of the progressive regulatory state:

Not sure what your point is with that video. The restaurant was closed down by that 'oppressive overregulated' city. In your society, that restaurant would remain open.

Seems like more than ever conservatives are hyper focused on cultural debates and far less focused on economic issues. While I consider many cultural and societal issues to be important, they are often used as a distraction from our economic problems. I think a big reason why conservatives are so focused on culture is because they dont know where they stand on economics. Are they free market or protectionist? Pro big corporation or anti big corporation? They dont know. It seems like the American conservative movement is stuck in limbo and so they direct their ire towards non issues like Mr Potato Head or publication of Dr. Seuss books no one has ever read.
Conservatives care about fundamental issues because we have principles. I understand that this is hard for a person like yourself to understand.

Conservatives care about fundamental issues because we have principles. I understand that this is hard for a person like yourself to understand.

The guy who cheerleads for a genocidal junta wants to pretend he has “principles”.

😂😂😂

Too ****ing funny.

Conservatives care about fundamental issues because we have principles
Nobody who supports and defends Donald Trump has principles. Taking a political stance is one thing, defending Trump, his language, his disdain for democracy and his hateful, divisive rhetoric is something altogether different.

Nobody who supports and defends Donald Trump has principles. Taking a political stance is one thing, defending Trump, his language, his disdain for democracy and his hateful, divisive rhetoric is something altogether different.
I know you have a paranoid, borderline pathological obsession with Donald Trump, but this thread really isn't about him.

Conservatives threw their 'principles' out the door when they decided turn the GOP into a cult.

I know you have a paranoid, borderline pathological obsession with Donald Trump, but this thread really isn't about him.

The obsession comes from those with the MAGA hats who tried to overthrow the election and hang the vice president who dared follow the law.

Not to mention, worried about rising debt if there is a democratic pres. But not concerned about it at all if the pres. Is Republican.

No principles.

Really?

Unemployment %s were down at record lows for ALL demographics before the pandemic.

Somehow I doubt you would give Obama the same credit:

unemployment.jpg

Was it Goebbels who said to convince the people they’re under attack...?

That's exactly how fascists obtain power. Fear is a powerful motivator.

The average Joe--and Jill--doesn't know anything about economics and only cares that the economy is working for them. They don't care how. Mr. Potato Head they know. LGBTQ they can grasp. Guns they understand. The RNC started campaigning for the WH again on November 4.

I know you have a paranoid, borderline pathological obsession with Donald Trump, but this thread really isn't about him
I know it's not about Trump, my comment was specifically directed at your comment that conservatives have principals. If you read my post carefully you will see that I differentiate between those who hold conservative principals and conservatives who support and defend Trump....two different things.

The gop has no policies and no new ideas for america other than rigging things so severely even when they lose the popular vote they win seats. Let me guess what their ideas will be as election time approaches. No new taxes, no messing with their guns and no abortion. Same old story same old song and dance.

An inequitable tax system is a tax on those that suffer the outcomes. Our tax system favor the rich and large corps, the outcomes from which they benefit and the avg American and those with the least suffer.

Seems like @Callen 's comment about Trump supporters hit a nerve.

That's funny, seeing as Wokeism has turned into a cult all it's own.
Seeing that Democrats are supporting, and are part of, that Wokeism cult, dare I say.

"Why Conservatives Are Obsessed With Cultural Issues"
It is response to the constant cram down from the left on cultural issues.

Why are liberals so obsessed With cultural issues that they feel they have to constantly cram down their views on others?

Old saying:
"How you shout into the forest is how how the echo comes back".
First, love the last line, hadn't heard it. But I agree that the left often tends to get focused on cultural issues as well, when - in my view - they would do better on economic issues. ("Conservatives marched on the White House," went the saying, "while liberals marched on the English Department"). But a lot of the left's focus on language is confined to academia, tho it trickles out to democrats and can be annoying to the average person. The left will still talk about economic issues as they should since they they are winners there in public opinion. The right gives the impression, however, that cultural issues are all they've got, when they can act usefully with cautionary tales concerning liberal ideas and proposed policies. DeSantis's pilgrimage to the border and attacking critical race theory seem obviously a prelude to a run in 2024, not steps to introduce innovative policy proposals that have practical applications in people's lives.

Back
Top Bottom