• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why Conservatives Are Obsessed With Cultural Issues

Geoist

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
Seems like more than ever conservatives are hyper focused on cultural debates and far less focused on economic issues. While I consider many cultural and societal issues to be important, they are often used as a distraction from our economic problems. I think a big reason why conservatives are so focused on culture is because they dont know where they stand on economics. Are they free market or protectionist? Pro big corporation or anti big corporation? They dont know. It seems like the American conservative movement is stuck in limbo and so they direct their ire towards non issues like Mr Potato Head or publication of Dr. Seuss books no one has ever read.

Seems like more than ever conservatives are hyper focused on cultural debates and far less focused on economic issues. While I consider many cultural and societal issues to be important, they are often used as a distraction from our economic problems. I think a big reason why conservatives are so focused on culture is because they dont know where they stand on economics. Are they free market or protectionist? Pro big corporation or anti big corporation? They dont know. It seems like the American conservative movement is stuck in limbo and so they direct their ire towards non issues like Mr Potato Head or publication of Dr. Seuss books no one has ever read.
Imo, most “cultural” issues are just dog whistles. And dog whistles work well on the Fox News, talk radio crowd.

Because its the only set of issues that they can win on. Generally the public is against them when it comes to economic issues.

GOP policies are all pro-corporate, so when discussing economics, the best they can do is blow smoke, since most of their constituents are in fact benefited by Democratic economic policies.

So... keep them scared about immigrants, trans, Muslims, black people, etc., to distract from the reality that the GOP is in fact their enemy.

Everything they are on about is focused on what liberals are doing wrong no matter the issue because they have zero positive ideas. Their platform is non-existent so pointing to liberals is all they got. They can't put forward constructive policies of their own because Trump hasn't told them what they are yet. He is way too busy talking about him and his stolen election.

The GOP cannot run on economic issues without exposing their hypocrisy. The concept of conservatism is partly based on smaller government and fiscal responsibility. Yet, when in power the deficits continue to grow….

The Republican economic policies have historically done the avg American, incl the Rep base, no good. But their base loves the moralizing, socio-cultural-anthropological messaging that includes condemnation of the left. The Dems have historically proved themselves impotent in responsive messaging, let alone taking initiative, and are thus constantly put on defense by the Reps.

Here's the backdrop...

Southern-Social-Hierarchy.jpg

The gop has no policies and no new ideas for america other than rigging things so severely even when they lose the popular vote they win seats. Let me guess what their ideas will be as election time approaches. No new taxes, no messing with their guns and no abortion. Same old story same old song and dance.

"Why Conservatives Are Obsessed With Cultural Issues"
It is response to the constant cram down from the left on cultural issues.

Why are liberals so obsessed With cultural issues that they feel they have to constantly cram down their views on others?

Old saying:
"How you shout into the forest is how how the echo comes back".

Because its the only set of issues that they can win on. Generally the public is against them when it comes to economic issues.

But they don’t win culture war stuff either.

Why are liberals so obsessed With cultural issues that they feel they have to constantly cram down their views on others?

Old saying:

When you say “cram” what specifically are you referring to?

But they don’t win culture war stuff either.
Conservatives tend to be true believers and if they lose due to a cultural issue, they rationalize it by deciding they didn't have enough faith and trying to believe even harder. Its a mental trap they tend to fall into.

Old saying:
This is backwards. The Left crams nothing. The Left can say "we oppose racism against black people," and the white right hears, "We care only about black people."

But then, the white right are a pack of delusional nuts, so why would we expect any reason or reasonableness from them?

I think their focus on cultural issues is to deflect from the horror they constantly inflict on this nation. It's also their source of false comparisons - "See? The left wants to cancel Mr. Potato head, so you pay attention to that, and not the fact we're trying to take healthcare away from millions of Americans during a deadly pandemic". The American right are truly equivalent to Hitler followers of the 1930's as are GOP elected politicians. Today's right makes me sick to my stomach.

When you say “cram” what specifically are you referring to?
You know, like when Obama dare to MENTION that he was "black", and the white right immediately started screaming that he was trying to incite a race war.

You know, like when Obama dare to MENTION that he was "black", and the white right immediately started screaming that he was trying to incite a race war.

I’m guessing by “cram” he means “non white men have gotten things.”

As members of the general class called "politicians", both "Conservative" and "Liberal" politicians are all LYING THIEVES.

Your observations seems to ignore that both sides of the political divide cherish the idea and process of dividing according to "societal issues".

Are you seriously unaware the Liberals do this with at least the same frequency as do Conservatives? It's a pretty common diversion used by the lying thieves, who lie to and steal from, us.

As long as we fail to watch them, they will have an open path to steal and enrich themselves. Distracting us from their true occupations is what the divisive ploys they use is for.

They have been perfecting their craft for more than 200 years and have succeeded since the year 2000 in adding more debt every four years on average than was accumulated during the previous 220 years.

They are really good for the theft, corruption, dishonesty and treason that they perform every day against the American people.

At least this shows that they are good for something.

This is backwards. The Left crams nothing.
🤣
The Left can say "we oppose racism against black people," and the white right hears, "We care only about black people."

But then, the white right are a pack of delusional nuts, so why would we expect any reason or reasonableness from them?
🤣

Beginning to realize that trying to have a reasonable discussion here an unreasonable expectation.

You're right that distraction is a big part of it.

These sorts of issues are things that most everyone feels comfortable having an opinion about.
They are the sorts of things where someone can feel that they have something to say.
So, folks'll talk about these issues instead of other more pressing issues which may require a bit more knowledge or information to discuss.

Engagement is another part of it.
When people spend their time and energy on something (lie talking about social issues)
they get a little pride and ownership over whatever they have been working on —
in this case their opinions and conversations.
Engagement promotes group cohesion and member loyalty.

You're also right that the GOP and Trumpco don't give a flip about principles atm.
Everything is only about surviving right now.

Are they free market or protectionist?

Unfortunately, Rebublicans today seem to be very protectionist. Trump was a complete idiot regarding trade.

Pro big corporation or anti big corporation?

Based on intentions or results?

The progressive regulatory state is a huge gift to big corporations because (a) it it's much easier for a large corporation to comply with burdensome regulatory shit then it is for their smaller competition, and (b) large corporations can use their lobbying power to tailor regulation in a way which actually benefits them. I've said it a million times so one more time won't hurt: the modern progressive is the best friend a big corporation ever had.

Old saying:
Dishonest hypocritical tinfoil hat victim hood nuttery like this always cracks me up. Honest, educated and objective people right left and center just laugh at it for its stupidity LOL

Old saying:
Good grief. The nuttery does just jump off the screen here, especially the disingenuous statement I highlighted in bold.

Ay, Eoh. Did you read about the prayer amendment er, "moment of silence" law that the RIGHT passed in Florida? Ah, I guess that beats being "forced" to see some black guy kneel before a football game, amirite?

GOP policies are all pro-corporate, so when discussing economics, the best they can do is blow smoke, since most of their constituents are in fact benefited by Democratic economic policies.

So... keep them scared about immigrants, trans, Muslims, black people, etc., to distract from the reality that the GOP is in fact their enemy.

Yup. Divide and conquer.

Unfortunately, Rebublicans today seem to be very protectionist. Trump was a complete idiot regarding trade.

We agree there.
Based on intentions or results?

The progressive regulatory state is a huge gift to big corporations because (a) it it's much easier for a large corporation to comply with burdensome regulatory shit then it is for their smaller competition, and (b) large corporations can use their lobbying power to tailor regulation in a way which actually benefits them. I've said it a million times so one more time won't hurt: the modern progressive is the best friend a big corporation ever had.

I've argued for years there needs to be a tier system when it comes to business regulations. Lighter burdens on small businesses and heavier burdens the bigger they are. Of course, we can't throw out ALL regulations of small businesses. I don't want to end food inspections of a family-owned restaurant I may dine at.

But while progressives/liberals should refine their policies, conservatives are disingenuous in their corporate hate, targeting only those who 'promote woke culture' or supposedly 'censor' conservative voices. Just like with everything else, their beliefs revolve around how it affects them personally.

Back
Top Bottom