• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why close national parks

then by allowing the government to shut down they have failed to serve their constituiant's

I thought their constituents wanted the federal government eliminated?

Dude, lose the hyperventilation.

What I'm talking about here is shutting down operations that are self sustaining. It's a stupid way to go about things. In fact it's so stupid that the only logical reason to order such a shutdown would be for purely political reasons.

The shutdown is for political reasons alright. The T's are trying to break down our laws and form of Govt. They are sadly mistaken about our will and will be dealt with harshly. It can't come too soon for me.

The running of the National parks are part of the US budget. No money , no parks.
The ****ing asshole anarchists of your repiglicon party are committing political suicide and you think it's funny?
Well you are right ... it is.:2wave::lamo:2wave:

It might have more to do with the fact that people are, by and large, stupid and there will be no staff of any kind for rescues or medical treatment if needed.

In the case I was specifically talking to in my post #30 staff isn't there normally.

To think that the House biting off their nose to spite their face is something the Founders would have condoned or that purposely short circuiting our economy and costing us billions that we supposedly don't have is part of the "job" of House members is more than a perception problem. You are knee deep in the Koolaid.
The 18% of the population that the T's represent must not be allowed to circumvent our laws or we are lost. I think you will see Obama take that stance in the next 2 weeks as the T's force the "showdown" on the debt ceiling. We may finally get some permanent fix for this after all. Because Obama will go to the wall on this.....make no mistake about it.

I appreciate your opinion, but it has no meaning as it relates to the facts. No laws related to the shutdown have been circumvented that I know of.

In fact, the one thing that has been done that has many scratching their heads, is the President's unilateral decision to delay the implementation of the Employer Mandate. According to the information I have seen on the subject, the Obamacare Legislation doesn't allow for it, and the Constitution doesn't allow for it. If true, it's interesting how he appears to be getting a pass.

My guess it his signature legislation is known as such a botched attempt, nobody wants to touch it, other than to get the minions spun into a confused state of disfunction.

Is that why you appear to be so confused over the Constitutionally sanctioned events that are taking place in D.C.?

I appreciate your opinion, but it has no meaning as it relates to the facts. No laws related to the shutdown have been circumvented that I know of.

In fact, the one thing that has been done that has many scratching their heads, is the President's unilateral decision to delay the implementation of the Employer Mandate. According to the information I have seen on the subject, the Obamacare Legislation doesn't allow for it, and the Constitution doesn't allow for it. If true, it's interesting how he appears to be getting a pass.

My guess it his signature legislation is known as such a botched attempt, nobody wants to touch it, other than to get the minions spun into a confused state of disfunction.

Is that why you appear to be so confused over the Constitutionally sanctioned events that are taking place in D.C.?

You are right about one thing. Nothing the T's do will change our Constitution or how laws get repealed. And we won't let our monuments and Parks be trashed by a-holes either. They will not open until they have their employees back on the job. Got it?
Your "guess" is as clueless as it gets. Why are you so afraid to let the American people SEE what the AHC act can do for them? Because you now it will be so well liked that no one will ever dare repeal it. It is so obvious it isn't funny.

Last edited:
You are right about one thing. Nothing the T's do will change our Constitution or how laws get repealed. And we won't let our monuments and Parks be trashed by a-holes either. They will not open until they have their employees back on the job. Got it?
Your "guess" is as clueless as it gets. Why are you so afraid to let the American people SEE what the AHC act can do for them? Because you now it will be so well liked that no one will ever dare repeal it. It is so obvious it isn't funny.

Well, there are many things that are obvious. Thank you for removing any doubt.

On the subject of afraid, why did the President unilaterally delay the implimentation of the employer mandate?

:peace

have you seen the upkeep requirements of national parks?

besides the parks can't open if they don't have anyone being paid to maintain them. and i do believe that the national park service cannot pay its workers during the shutdown.

And it's not just a matter of paying them it's a matter of making contributions to pension plans, contributions to 401(k)'s, continuing to provide health benefits, and other insurance benefits (for families as well), etc. I'm sure it all comes to much more than the gate receipts. And they can't just take the gate receipts and spend them, I'm sure there's some accounting and payroll processes that all has to go through that takes time.

I'll tell you why they are closing national parks, it is designed to hurt Americans and get media coverage, no other reason at all. There is always a line at the entrance to every NP with people paying 20 bucks to get in and that is plenty to pay the staff and keep parks open during a temporary gov shut down like this. It may or may not be enough to actually maintain the roads and facilities long term but there is no reason to shut our parks down other than the very reason Obama closed white house tours, make it hurt. The democrats and Obama are using us as pawns in their power play and I for one am sick of being sacrificed to protect the king.

Barricading of the Veteran's Memorial Park is a prime example of the evil partisanship pulled by this administration.

Well, there are many things that are obvious. Thank you for removing any doubt.

On the subject of afraid, why did the President unilaterally delay the implimentation of the employer mandate?

:peace

Because employers asked for the delay and it was agreed to. Not that you care but the REAL purpose of the AHC act is to help the UNINSURED get covered. Since most employees are already insured and not affected by the act, it was not considered damaging to its implementation like delaying the individual mandate would be. You do know that pre-existing conditions can only be eliminated if there is a individual mandate don't you?

Because employers asked for the delay and it was agreed to. Not that you care but the REAL purpose of the AHC act is to help the UNINSURED get covered. Since most employees are already insured and not affected by the act, it was not considered damaging to its implementation like delaying the individual mandate would be. You do know that pre-existing conditions can only be eliminated if there is a individual mandate don't you?

So you bought the propaganda hook, line, and sinker...

How will it cost billions?

The last shutdown by the Republicans in the 90's cost $56 Billion, assuming this one goes on as long, it will cost the Country about $118 Billion in todays dollars.
Money is growing on trees in the T's mind I guess.

Barricading of the Veteran's Memorial Park is a prime example of the evil partisanship pulled by this administration.

Right we should have left it open and unguarded so it could be defaced by vandals. That would show how much we respect Veterans.

I thought you objected to the barricades? Now you want them?
I object to this stupidity.

Gated national parks take tolls, maintain restrooms, parking, etc. The closing of this area that is always open to the public otherwise is pure stupidity, pure evil, pure partisan politics, etc. take your pick. They all apply in my mind, and then some. They spent money barricading the area unnecessarily. Partisan politics at it's worse.

I don't know. Do bank vaults stop bank robbers? There are also guards by the way.

What government employees are usually at the monument that aren't now and who costs less to employ, the employees or new security gaurds?

I object to this stupidity.

Gated national parks take tolls, maintain restrooms, parking, etc. The closing of this area that is always open to the public otherwise is pure stupidity, pure evil, pure partisan politics, etc. take your pick. They all apply in my mind, and then some. They spent money barricading the area unnecessarily. Partisan politics at it's worse.

Then write your Congressman and tell him to pass a clean CR. There is no money to pay anybody but essential personnel like guards with the shutdown. It is what it is. You wanted it you got it.

Just to give you one example: We have Saguaro National Monument here in Tucson. It's actually two parks that sit east and west of the city proper. The facilities at these parks which require maintenance are a bunch of hiking trails and maybe 15 miles of paved road. I may be mistaken but I don't believe that there is even an outhouse in either part of the park. It will actually cost MORE money to keep people out of the park than it would to leave it open.

Sure. Until some yahoo drives an ATV through it and starts cutting down Saguaros.

And if I recall,they have a great visitors center with a really impressive film on the desert, ending with a lifting screen that shows a desert panorama. Very cool.

What government employees are usually at the monument that aren't now and who costs less to employ, the employees or new security gaurds?

Guards are considered essential personnel and are not subject to the shutdown. It is illegal to pay regular employees anything. The shutdown is costing us billions a day and the added costs of guards to protect our national treasures is only one of the reasons. What's the matter? Getting cold feet?

Then write your Congressman and tell him to pass a clean CR. There is no money to pay anybody but essential personnel like guards with the shutdown. It is what it is. You wanted it you got it.

I want Obamacare-snare to be done away with. It's bad law ramrodded down everyone's throats. There will never be peace over this issue with the way in was nearly unilaterally voted in by democrats.

Guards are considered essential personnel and are not subject to the shutdown. It is illegal to pay regular employees anything. The shutdown is costing us billions a day and the added costs of guards to protect our national treasures is only one of the reasons. What's the matter? Getting cold feet?

I'm most certainly not getting cold feet.

Now that the democrats have caused this shutdown crisis, I want it to continue for months. I want the public to see that it doesn't really affect them.

Tell me.

How is this shutdown affecting you?

Do you know anyone it has affected?

Back
Top Bottom