• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why China is winning the economic war

The Giant Noodle

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
This better be within posting regulations! I followed every rule I saw!
Anyhow China... a COMMUNIST Country is kicking our ass! WHY?!?!? :thinking

During the ‘cold war,’ a term used to describe the tension between communist and capitalist countries that lasted from 1947 to 1991, one of the fears was a military conflict between Russia or China and the U.S.

It didn’t happen. The potential of a military war instead morphed into an economic war.
The U.S. was winning hands down for a long time, but not so much anymore. It used to be that the U.S. was number one in pretty much everything: education, technology, standard of living, economic and military strength, admired world leadership. It was leading the rest of the world into the future with the demonstrative power of democracy and free markets, new technological breakthroughs in automation, computers, communications, energy, medicine, space travel, to name a few.
Why China is winning the economic war - Business - Forbes.com - msnbc.com

Last edited:
This better be within posting regulations! I followed every rule I saw!
Anyhow China... a COMMUNIST Country is kicking our ass! WHY?!?!? :thinking

A bigger population for starters.

Alot of people will come in here and say simply: Well they work for less.

That's true but it's far more complicated then that. China is swallowing EVERY SINGLE natural resource we have left on Earth at an alarming rate, Entire cities of millions that you've never even heard of have just popped up in the last 20 years.

The other thing that makes China so appealing to foreign investors, is the government. If one were to use the 3 Gorges Dam as an example, the Chinese government can simply say. "Right, city of a million people, get up, we're moving you somewhere else, come quickly now!". One should admire such, efficiency, even if it is wrong.

As far as I'm aware workers simply cannot Unionize but before you think that's a given, consider that as any population becomes more and more affluent, they inevitably demand better everything, from government services to wages, and as the Chinese government gets more and more revenue from Chinese spenders and taxes, balancing against foreign investors, they'd have to make at least some concessions.

But we'll see. As I said in another post, the Chinese economy is heavily dependent on Cheap Natural Resources and a massive growth rate to continue to prosper, if Natural Resource prices went through the roof, as they're expected to do, the drop in growth rate might have severe consequences for the country, and quite possibly the world.

Thats extremely well said and thought out Jet. Good insight!

thank_you_cat_flower.gif

It's simple.

They're winning because they have a huge population, no human rights, no right to protest government action, and the people in charge have an equally competent outlook on economics as their counterparts in the west, with the exception that they don't have to care what the peons think of their grand plans.

Depends on how you quantify winning, I suppose. If America goes down, the rest of the world goes down. We're all interdependant on each other, however, the USA can survive without China, China not so much without the USA. They would survive, as a nation, but many in China will not..

Tim-

I wouldnt be so quick to say China is 'winning.' Ignoring the obvious problem that there doesn't seem to be a standard given by Forbes to determine who is 'winning' and who is losing, China has a huge amount of problems. I could go into all their different issues from local politics to international concerns, but fact is that China and the US are as much competitors economically as they are partners and both sides have their strong and weak points.

I would sooner argue that its a still a race with no clear winner and we have to wait to see who comes out ahead in the future, but given the nature of history there are never any clear winners and losers. One nation may pull ahead of its competitors and neighbors for decades or even centuries but something always changes and suddenly they may not be on top anymore and a once weak rival is now challenging them or already on top.

Meh... it's a race that none of us are going to win, really. Our economic model is non-sustainable and is based on western consumerism and developing nation manufacturing. China will be lucky if it survives its own development given how fast it's going. The U.S. is also a heavy polluter but at least it can convert to a service-based industry without letting its economy get hit too hard. Ultimately crony capitalism and joint corporate-state power are going to undo the entire house of cards, and I don't think that chain reaction will start with China. It's going to happen right here.

Back
Top Bottom