• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why black lives matter

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
One thing that always gets me about the anti-black lives matter crowd is that they want all people to be treated equally, with no special treatment. I want to ask, when has that applied to our countries history, ever, where everybody has been treated equally?

Our country has always been divided by different groups - race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, etc.. etc... IMO it is completely tone-deaf to say every person is the same and we need to treat each person equally. Every group is different and diverse.

If you are a parent who on earth treats their son exactly the same as their daughter? So why would we treat a black kid the same as a white kid? Transgender the same as a cisgender?

IMO looking at people all the same, is a very simplistic and black/white view on our society. It ignores a lot.

Last edited:
The 14th amendment guarantees equal protection under the law. However, that is clearly not what is happening and never has been. When unarmed black citizens are murdered by the authorities with little noticeable consequences, when black children are denied equal education funding, etc., etc, it indicates not any naturally existing difference but a deliberate, state-sanctioned inequality.

So, your analysis is self serving. If we can't begin this discussion with an agreed reality, asking why black lives matter seems more like just another statement that they actually don't. Not enough, any way, for your ilk to have even a moment of introspection about it. Why do that when you can defend injustice with the argument that it's normal?

The 14th amendment guarantees equal protection under the law. However, that is clearly not what is happening and never has been. When unarmed black citizens are murdered by the authorities with little noticeable consequences, when black children are denied equal education funding, etc., etc, it indicates not any naturally existing difference but a deliberate, state-sanctioned inequality.

Gee, you finally figured out that government is the problem.

One thing that always gets me about the anti-black lives matter crowd is that they want all people to be treated equally, with no special treatment. I want to ask, when has that applied to our countries history, ever, where everybody has been treated equally?

Our country has always been divided by different groups - race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, etc.. etc... IMO it is completely tone-deaf to say every person is the same and we need to treat each person equally. Every group is different and diverse.

If you are a parent who on earth treats their son exactly the same as their daughter? So why would we treat a black kid the same as a white kid? Transgender the same as a cisgender?

IMO looking at people all the same, is a very simplistic and black/white view on our society. It ignores a lot.

Why did Obama and Biden not fix your complaint over 8 years? Maybe more election year high-jinks in 2020?

When you're referencing "treated equally," is your focus on equal opportunities, equal outcomes or something different?

When you're referencing "treated equally," is your focus on equal opportunities, equal outcomes or something different?

One example from people like you is that you claim affirmative action policies are racist against whites. It would be silly to treat blacks equally as whites when it comes to employment opportunities when they have been discriminated against for so long.

Gee, you finally figured out that government is the problem.

No, genius, the corrosive, fascist, culture of bribery is the problem. The government OF the people is the victim.

No, genius, the corrosive, fascist, culture of bribery is the problem.

That's funny, because you didn't mention anything about fascism or a "culture of bribery" (whatever that dumbass term is suppose to mean). You claimed there has never been equality under the government's law:

The 14th amendment guarantees equal protection under the law. However, that is clearly not what is happening and never has been.

Then you claimed the US government is murdering unarmed blacks, and denying black kids an education:

When unarmed black citizens are murdered by the authorities with little noticeable consequences, when black children are denied equal education funding, etc.,

And then, again, you point out the state is to blame for situation:

it indicates not any naturally existing difference but a deliberate, state-sanctioned inequality.

You provided multiple examples of the state oppressing black people, and from that evidence you come to the conclusion that the real problem is a "culture of bribery".

Good grief.

So, your analysis is self serving. If we can't begin this discussion with an agreed reality, asking why black lives matter seems more like just another statement that they actually don't. Not enough, any way, for your ilk to have even a moment of introspection about it. Why do that when you can defend injustice with the argument that it's normal?

First of all, name all the black persons murdered who were unarmed and were not trying to either escape arrest, fight with police, steal the police officers weapon. The problem in school equality is from democrats and teacher unions who fight against things like school choice. Clearly you don't have the facts.

Treating people the same is not the goal, treating people equally is.

The Black Lives Matter crowd also wants all people to be treated equally with no special treatment. The anti-BLM crowd just mistakenly believes that they already are.

I'm curious, is Joe Biden in that group of people you are referring to as the problem?

Joe Biden is not currently in the govt. While not restricted to a single party, the current group of R senators are the biggest problem in our govt today. If they don't want to take up House passed bills, pass their own and send them to conference, the way it has always been done. Do you think that djt is not a problem?

Joe Biden is not currently in the govt.

True, but he's been in government for literally 47 years. You claimed it is the people in government who are the problem, so I'd like to know if Joe Biden was part of the group that is the problem.

The history of our country has many examples of discrimination. It’s not a exclusive claim of blacks. The Chinese (railroad builder slaves) the Japanese (interment camps) the Italians and Jews to name a few. We’re a country that recognizes its faults and tries to change. But change is a gradual matter. Forcing it sometimes only slows it down. MLK had a dream, a dream that in my life I’ve seen glimpses of coming true. What I’ve been seeing lately has a potential of moving us backwards because violence doesn’t bring peace. It usually only brings resistance.

That's funny, because you didn't mention anything about fascism or a "culture of bribery" (whatever that dumbass term is suppose to mean). You claimed there has never been equality under the government's law:

First of all, you can't comprehend that we have a culture of bribery in our country? Really? Have you heard of Citizens United? It sanctifies that culture and normalizes this act of fascism. Look it up.

Secondly, the law is only as good as the men who interpret it and prosecute those who ignore it. And, across the board, there have been some very creative interpretations of law and some glaring miscarriages of justice that have manifest as racism and classism that was not the intent of the original law. Consider the decision in Santa Clara county VS Southern Pacific. The court decided AGAINST corporate personhood as we know it but a clerk, who had personal interests in the decision going the other way, wrote up the summary in a way that contradicted the decision and that summary was used as precedent for subsequent laws that screwed the people. Today, because so much law has been founded on that original, fascist lie, there is no hope of changing it without toppling our entire system of greed.

So, when I say the law has not prevented inequality, it hasn't. But, it's not the fault of your boogyman, government. It's the fault of unscrupulous fascists and racists, throughout history, who have corrupted the law for profit. Don't get it twisted.

Then you claimed the US government is murdering unarmed blacks, and denying black kids an education:

Ever watch the news? Black people are being shot by cops and have received greater sentences for the same crimes. It's true.

As for black children not receiving equal protection under the law in education spending, that is also the result of a supreme court decision that appeased racists. Decisions like the ones I've mentioned represent the enshrined racism and classism in our system that conservatives have wrought. They are government legislation but they are shaped by entrenched racists, they are not "THE government". On paper, we're all equally deserving the protection of government. In reality, that idea has been corrupted by fascists and elitists.

And then, again, you point out the state is to blame for situation:

I pointed at the ways that bad actors have corrupted the ideals set forth in the constitution. It's not blaming the state except to point how how badly the state has failed to stand against the fascists and racists. We had congressional hearings in the 50s and destroyed the lives of hundreds of people who were suspected of communism. Yet, fascists have tried to pull off an actual military coup in the US, they've covertly taken hold at the highest offices of our government, unchecked, and we've also fought wars against fascists in other countries that cost millions of American lives. But, where's the McCarthyist confrontation of fascism in the USA? There isn't one and never will be one because they are in power here.

They borrow money to give tax breaks to the richest few. They use our military to strong arm those foreign powers who don't play nice with our corporate rulers. We're fully ****ed and it's not the government but the culture of corruption that is the problem.

You provided multiple examples of the state oppressing black people, and from that evidence you come to the conclusion that the real problem is a "culture of bribery".

Good grief.

YES! Quit playing dumb. The rich have, at every turn, corrupted laws intended to protect people and turned them into mechanisms of fascism. In the false Santa Clara decision, they used the 14th amendment to give EQUAL protection to corporate persons. That's a travesty of justice. Corporations can't be imprisoned, they can live forever, they control enough wealth to make their political voice much louder in our system of bribery. Disenfranchising the poor and the minorities is in the best interest of those who want to exploit this land and its people. How can you be so obtuse not to understand that?

Aw, what's the point of trying to explain cancer to a tumor? The right worships money, period. They value property rights over human rights every time and our history proves it. Own it or don't, it changes nothing. Your politics is the sickness, the government is just how your virus spreads.

One day a black man will become President and your dreams will become reality.

The pertinent question is whether one kind of unjust, inequitable, race-based treatment justifies another kind of unjust, inequitable, race-based treatment.

The follow-up question is whether the latter kind of unjust, inequitable, race-based treatment will ease suffering, reduce racial tension, and lead to a fairer, more prosperous society rather than doing the opposite.

To anyone in "the anti-black lives matter crowd", the answer to both questions is a unqualified 'no', making an answer to your question irrelevant.

First of all, name all the black persons murdered who were unarmed and were not trying to either escape arrest, fight with police, steal the police officers weapon.

Escaping arrest, resisting arrest and trying to disarm a cop are not subject to the death penalty. Even if they were, the cops are not there to be the judge, jury and executioner. Your argument is weak.

If you doubt there is a double standard for black criminals, consider that no white men are on death row for rape. Black men? Yes. Why is that?

And, why has crack possession earned a person a greater sentence than powder coke?

Why is weed classified as a Class A narcotic? Because as Nixon's people observed, the blacks find comfort in it.

The answer to all these incongruities is as clear as the black on their faces.

The problem in school equality is from democrats and teacher unions who fight against things like school choice. Clearly you don't have the facts.

Before you project upon me your own sad ignorance of the facts, I invite you to dismiss with the conservative union-phobia and consider the actual legislation that has created or codified inequality in the US. San Antonio Independent School district VS Rodriguez is the case. It was a decision in the early seventies arising from a suit that began in the sixties. The decision was as conservative as it could get, with the court deciding that the 14th amendment didn't guaranty equal funding for schools. That decision remains, to this day, an excuse for rich white schools to have every convenience while poor, black schools, remain under funded for even the basics.

If you were an alien watching the human species from space, and you saw the way we legislate our racism and greed to benefit the few, would you persist in this tenacious, right-wing denial? Or, would you objectively declare humanity to be hopelessly corrupt and undeserving the title "civilized"? This is a no-brainer, which is why it confounds modern fascists.

Black life matters supporters don't want equal treatment. They want black folks to be held to a lower standard because they believe black folks are uncapable of meeting the same social standards as every other group.

One example from people like you is that you claim affirmative action policies are racist against whites. It would be silly to treat blacks equally as whites when it comes to employment opportunities when they have been discriminated against for so long.

So you're focused on equal outcomes .. how do you anticipate both equal opportunity and equal outcomes to co-exist?

.. and yes, Affirmative Action is discriminatory against Whites and Asians. Why can't people who are best qualified for an employment opportunity (or education) selected, regardless of race or other qualifier?

So you're focused on equal outcomes .. how do you anticipate both equal opportunity and equal outcomes to co-exist?

.. and yes, Affirmative Action is discriminatory against Whites and Asians. Why can't people who are best qualified for an employment opportunity (or education) selected, regardless of race or other qualifier?

So what are you saying, that blacks are not smart/qualified enough to get these jobs without affirmative action?

I would suggest you look at Trump's history with racial discrimination in real estate.

Do you know what terms like redlining and gentrification mean? It wasn't long ago that Real Estate agents would be fired if they tried to sell a home to a black person.

How many decades, or how many generations need to have affirmative action? It isn't that affirmative action is "racist" against whites, it is that it pushes forward people who are less qualified for jobs or for admission to schools. How does it help Black people to lower standards? All it does is create lowered expectations and mediocrity.

If the NBA had affirmative action, then the game would have to include a lot of short Japanese men---- and how would that make it a better game?

Back
Top Bottom