• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Why Ban Gay Marriage?

crimson372

Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me how, me having a relationship with another man, and living with that man affects your marriage.

It doesn't and would not - that is not one of the arguments.

I always thought marriage was about love and advancing a relationship...

MikeyC said:
I always thought marriage was about love and advancing a relationship...

going by that logic i should be able to marry a cantaloupe.

FiremanRyan said:
going by that logic i should be able to marry a cantaloupe.
Ummm, you seem to have a very odd relationship with fruit. I sort of meant relationships and love between people...

MikeyC said:
Ummm, you seem to have a very odd relationship with fruit. I sort of meant relationships and love between people...

haha what can i say. it was more of a joke but the sad part is that if you put the meaning of marriage in the context that you did, without defining it as a union between two humans, it would be chaos. there are people out there crazy enough to marry their cat.

galenrox said:
How about we change it to an advancement of a relationship between two consenting competent adult people. What's the problem with that?
That is what it was until conservatives started the sanctity of marriage crap.

ShamMol said:
That is what it was until conservatives started the sanctity of marriage crap.
Sanctity of marriage left long before the homosexuality issue when the marriage rate became equal to the divorce rate. There is no sanctity when Anna Nicole marries a really old guy with hundreds of millions of dollars...

vauge said:
It doesn't and would not - that is not one of the arguments.

It is one of the arguments being used by some groups. Here in Oregon we had an anti-gay ballot measure this past fall. One of the mailings I got from the main group supporting it said "save your marriage. If measure 36 does not pass your marriage will be nothing more then a worthless slip of paper" It went on to say "Don't let the gay agenda ruin your way of life- your marriage."

MikeyC said:
Sanctity of marriage left long before the homosexuality issue when the marriage rate became equal to the divorce rate. There is no sanctity when Anna Nicole marries a really old guy with hundreds of millions of dollars...

Sure there is, but there is no sanctity of marriage when Britney Spears runs off and on a whim marries that Jason Alexander guy and then 55hrs later has it annulled claiming; "We did it as a joke."

Yeah, that sums it up, it's a joke. It's a STRAIGHT joke, but very serious for those of us who are still not allowed to legal wed the person we have spent years creating a life and a home with.

I become incensed when I see this kind of hypocrisy waved in my face. It's like hearing a kid on a schoolyard going: "Nah, Nahnah Nah, Nah...Ha ha...we can trample all over marriage...but you can't! Ha ha! "

It's disgusting!

My partner and I have been together for eight years, we have been raising a child together, we have a mortgages together, we plan our retirement to be together. We fight daily images of our families and friends who can go off, get a marriage certificate and just a six months later walk away as if its no big deal! All while we struggle to be seen as a family. A real family.
It's a slap in the face, it's hugely insensitive and rude.

There they are, destroying the so called "sanctity of marriage" while we have to jump through mounds of legal paperwork just so either of us can make health care decisions, or pick up our son from school if he's sick, or buy a house and have it put in both our names so if the unthinkable should happen the survivor isn't left out on the street!
Things Straight couples take completely for granted. Things they don't even give a second thought to.
Thousands of dollars are spent by same-sex couples to get just the tiniest fraction of protections which come free of charge to legally married heterosexual couples.

Why Ban Gay Marriage? Well, this is a question that has haunted our country for years, but, (if you are christian) in Genesis got created Man & Woman, Not Man & Man or Woman & Woman. But, this still does not solve the problem. :doh

Well, most heterosexuals who are not religious don't approve of gay marriage, but anyone who opposes gay rights are a bunch of bible thumping, bigoted, narrow minded homophobic Nazi's.....

Real_American15 said:
Why Ban Gay Marriage? Well, this is a question that has haunted our country for years, but, (if you are christian) in Genesis got created Man & Woman, Not Man & Man or Woman & Woman. But, this still does not solve the problem. :doh[/QUOT

Genesis may state that God created Man and Woman,but it does'nt say anything about them having to fancy each other! ;)

Androvski said:
Real_American15 said:
Why Ban Gay Marriage? Well, this is a question that has haunted our country for years, but, (if you are christian) in Genesis got created Man & Woman, Not Man & Man or Woman & Woman. But, this still does not solve the problem. :doh[/QUOT

Genesis may state that God created Man and Woman,but it does'nt say anything about them having to fancy each other! ;)
Genesis may not say it but in the bible homosexuality is considered a immoral act toward God. In fact you can find it in the story of the Ten commandments...

Real_American15 said:
Androvski said:
Genesis may not say it but in the bible homosexuality is considered a immoral act toward God. In fact you can find it in the story of the Ten commandments...

Yet another Bible basher folks!
Anachronistic claptrap!

Last edited:
Real_American15 said:
Androvski said:

I really hate to be the one to break it to you here, but the Christian faith doesn't have exclusive rights to what laws we do or do not make in this country.

There's no logical reason to ban gay marriage, only these unsubstantiated mystical beliefs.

I really don't care if someone thinks it's "icky" or "gross", so what, so those who think that shouldn't go and get a gay marriage. Some think it's against their religion, fine, again...don't have one.
Some think it would destroy the supposed "sanctity of marriage", now these people I have to laugh at because these are probably the types that have multiple marriages and/or extra-marital affairs, yeah, they're fine ones to talk! NOT.

Real_American15 said:
Androvski said:

I don't want to appear as patronising,but you are still a young lad,come back in a few years after you have learned some of life's lessons for yourself and formed a few opinions of your own,other than merely quoting what you have been taught by others.
I would not have made my previous statement had I read your profile first!

Androvski said:
Real_American15 said:
I don't want to appear as patronising,but you are still a young lad,come back in a few years after you have learned some of life's lessons for yourself and formed a few opinions of your own,other than merely quoting what you have been taught by others.
I would not have made my previous statement had I read your profile first!
Young? Ok I give you a little credit...but you see, that's the thing with you "adults" you hardly listen to what children have to say, and by the way I taught myself religion my family isn't "very" religious but I pray and all that. Being taught by others has nothing to do with it. I think that "adults' are far more immature than the children, you all have no more responsibility than that of a monkey. Kids aren't the one's who even choose to be "Gay" it's the simple fact that they do not feel love or compassion from their parent's that or their parents are "drugees" I'm sorry but if told my dad that I was gay he would beat me to an inch of my life. Children are the one's dragged into the middle of divorces between parents, that is the parents' fault if they would wait and find out if that was their "true love" maybe it would or would not have worked out. Nad you told me I should come back in a few years after I've lived through life's lesson, pardon my language but what the Hell does homosexuality have to do with life's lessons? I have taught not just myself but others to think before acting and for people whom are gay or lesbian i think they are the one's who must live through the pain and suffering at the last days of the world!

Real_American15 said:
Young? Ok I give you a little credit...but you see, that's the thing with you "adults" you hardly listen to what children have to say,

That's because we actually remember what we were like at your age and realize now that those of you who are "your age" really don't know anywhere close to half of what you think you know.

Real_Americans15 said:
and by the way I taught myself religion my family isn't "very" religious but I pray and all that. Being taught by others has nothing to do with it.

Being that you "taught [yourself]" religion, there inlyes the problem. No one taught you that the Bible is a work of "inspiration" not to be translated or interpreted literaly.
No one guided you through the various meanings and lessons within the Bible.
No, I do not believe 100% of each and every word contained within it, because I realize that it was written by the hands of human beings. Humans who are just as easily bought, just as easily tempted, just as easily lead astray, and just as easily wrong as any other human being on the face of the planet.
Because you "taught yourself" you have no idea of the meanings of what the words contained, their context, their various translations and inferences. You simply don't know the history of the terms, words and tone of what is contained in the pages of a book that has been translated and re-translated hundreds of times over in just about every language on the planet. Guess what, not every language translates with the same tones and inflections utilized in the original texts.

Real_Clueless said:
I think that "adults' are far more immature than the children, you all have no more responsibility than that of a monkey.

Really now? Well by all means show me you can handle a mortgage, car payments, insurence, taxes, loans, being responcible for the wellbeing and care of other members of your household, going to a job everyday and working for some impersonal corporation with a boss who is completely clueless as to the actual work involved in your job, investments, maintainence and care for your house, your car, your kids bikes, teeth, sports injuries, homework; and that's just a basic overview of only a fraction of what ADULTS are responcible for.

Only once you've done this for twenty years, come back and tell us we "have no more responcibilities than that of a monkey" deal? Good.

Real_Clueless said:
Kids aren't the one's who even choose to be "Gay"

You're right there, kids don't "choose" to be gay. Only the smallest percentage of humans do.

Real_clueless said:
it's the simple fact that they do not feel love or compassion from their parent's that or their parents are "drugees" I'm sorry but if told my dad that I was gay he would beat me to an inch of my life.

and that's what you call love and compassion? :rolleyes: So sad.

Real_Clueless said:
Children are the one's dragged into the middle of divorces between parents, that is the parents' fault if they would wait and find out if that was their "true love" maybe it would or would not have worked out.

Hon, this is not the place to air your dirty laundry. If you have issues with your parents' divorce, I suggest you get some therapy.

Real_clueless said:
Nad you told me I should come back in a few years after I've lived through life's lesson, pardon my language but what the Hell does homosexuality have to do with life's lessons?

Unless you are gay, there's no explaining it. Unless you've had to deal with the internal torture, hatred, depression...you can NEVER understand! NEVER!

Real_Clueless said:
I have taught not just myself but others to think before acting and for people whom are gay or lesbian i think they are the one's who must live through the pain and suffering at the last days of the world!

Yup, you're just one more punk who thinks they no more because they got dealt a supposedly raw deal when their parent's divorced and used you as a pawn, but the whole reason you're so angry is because you don't get to hide in your room with your play station, stereo, television (with mini-dish), every new CD that comes out, every new xbox game, and your very own PC with DSL at both houses. You only have that stuff at one house and blame your parents for messing up your life, instead of actually taking responsibility for your own actions, for listening to your parents, doing your own homework instead of mom or dad doing it for you because now mom has to go to work everyday and leaves you at home alone. So you wallow in your self pity, read your bible and get the wrong idea about everything because NO ONE is there to teach your right from wrong.

You want a personal attack, kiddo, you've come to the wrong forum! :spank:

JustineCredible said:
That's because we actually remember what we were like at your age and realize now that those of you who are "your age" really don't know anywhere close to half of what you think you know.

Being that you "taught [yourself]" religion, there inlyes the problem. No one taught you that the Bible is a work of "inspiration" not to be translated or interpreted literaly.
No one guided you through the various meanings and lessons within the Bible.
No, I do not believe 100% of each and every word contained within it, because I realize that it was written by the hands of human beings. Humans who are just as easily bought, just as easily tempted, just as easily lead astray, and just as easily wrong as any other human being on the face of the planet.
Because you "taught yourself" you have no idea of the meanings of what the words contained, their context, their various translations and inferences. You simply don't know the history of the terms, words and tone of what is contained in the pages of a book that has been translated and re-translated hundreds of times over in just about every language on the planet. Guess what, not every language translates with the same tones and inflections utilized in the original texts.

Really now? Well by all means show me you can handle a mortgage, car payments, insurence, taxes, loans, being responcible for the wellbeing and care of other members of your household, going to a job everyday and working for some impersonal corporation with a boss who is completely clueless as to the actual work involved in your job, investments, maintainence and care for your house, your car, your kids bikes, teeth, sports injuries, homework; and that's just a basic overview of only a fraction of what ADULTS are responcible for.

Only once you've done this for twenty years, come back and tell us we "have no more responcibilities than that of a monkey" deal? Good.

You're right there, kids don't "choose" to be gay. Only the smallest percentage of humans do.

and that's what you call love and compassion? :rolleyes: So sad.

Hon, this is not the place to air your dirty laundry. If you have issues with your parents' divorce, I suggest you get some therapy.

Unless you are gay, there's no explaining it. Unless you've had to deal with the internal torture, hatred, depression...you can NEVER understand! NEVER!

Yup, you're just one more punk who thinks they no more because they got dealt a supposedly raw deal when their parent's divorced and used you as a pawn, but the whole reason you're so angry is because you don't get to hide in your room with your play station, stereo, television (with mini-dish), every new CD that comes out, every new xbox game, and your very own PC with DSL at both houses. You only have that stuff at one house and blame your parents for messing up your life, instead of actually taking responsibility for your own actions, for listening to your parents, doing your own homework instead of mom or dad doing it for you because now mom has to go to work everyday and leaves you at home alone. So you wallow in your self pity, read your bible and get the wrong idea about everything because NO ONE is there to teach your right from wrong.

You want a personal attack, kiddo, you've come to the wrong forum! :spank:
My parents have been married for 14 years and I have a girlfriend who I plan to marry in 3 years. Let me tell you all something i might not know everything but you know what? That's fine anything you say about me is completely fine, but the thing is I have dealt with even half the stuff you have mentioned you wanna' know why? because my dad was deployed to Iraq for 6 freakin' months. It was just me my mom and my other 3 siblings. i had to take care of some bills, but you all have no idea or care for children let alone so decent respect toward others. I might have said you ahve the responsibilty of a monkey, what I meant was that of a rock! So shut your mouts sounds to me you all are the ones who need a spankin'. Oh....and real clueless you must have the IQ of a rock to...you spelled responsible wrong, it's spelled w/ an "s" not a "c"...Deepest Gratitudes...Real_American15 & Real straight!...Dismissed!

Real_American15 said:
My parents have been married for 14 years and I have a girlfriend who I plan to marry in 3 years. Let me tell you all something i might not know everything but you know what? That's fine anything you say about me is completely fine, but the thing is I have dealt with even half the stuff you have mentioned you wanna' know why? because my dad was deployed to Iraq for 6 freakin' months. It was just me my mom and my other 3 siblings. i had to take care of some bills, but you all have no idea or care for children let alone so decent respect toward others. I might have said you ahve the responsibilty of a monkey, what I meant was that of a rock! So shut your mouts sounds to me you all are the ones who need a spankin'. Oh....and real clueless you must have the IQ of a rock to...you spelled responsible wrong, it's spelled w/ an "s" not a "c"...Deepest Gratitudes...Real_American15 & Real straight!...Dismissed!

LOL :2funny:

After all that and all you can do is nitpick one word spelling? Dear, try hitting the "spell check" button. You missed a lot in your little rant.
BTW: The "real_clueless" was to you, not me...try knowing how to read quotes.
Oh and I almost forgot... :2bigcry: boo hoo. You're daddy went off to Iraq. You know what? So did a whole crap load of other people's daddies and Mommies. You know what else? They knew what they were signing up for. They are all being used as cheep pawns in an illegal war and all you can do is come here and whine about it...but you have the audacity to complain about other people's respect to you? How about you learn to show some first?
I don't let my son talk to adults the way you do, but you dare to try to check me on respect? Sorry, you have not earned any as far as I have seen.

I tried to be nice to you, but all you could do is lay into other posters like some punk with a massive chip on his shoulder.
Yeah, I lost my cool, for that and only that, I apologize. But don't expect me to bow down to you or your miserable excuse for righteousness, because it just won't happen.

Real_American15 said:

You seriously want to flame on someone else's grammar and spelling? I beginning to suspect the rock and IQ comment might be misdirected.

Real_American15 said:
Androvski said:
bible basher? OK you be one of those devil worshipper's..huh..?

No I don't worship Satan,although all that chanting and prancing around naked might be fun!
Justine C's avatar just about sums up the way I feel.
What I do think is if you are right and there is a God(and I believe there is too,though not the judgemental one you believe in),with all the true evil that exists in this world,he/she/it would stop worrying about people's sexuality and get the priorities straight.
What I meant by "learning life's lessons",is that with experience you may lean to be a little more tolerant and understanding of people that are different to you.How many homosexuals do you personally know anyway?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom