• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why "Atlas Shrugged" Changes Lives

Robertinfremont

Photo of me taken in the Army 1963
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
For the many who prefer to watch only videos and keep my opinion out, well others are not happy unless I tell you my opinion first.

It pleases me in a way that my opinion is held in such high esteem.

Atlas Shrugged is merely a good novel. A very long but profound novel.

All books written may have messages. Even kids fairy tales have messages as you all recall. Not all messages are received the same way some complain.

Atlas Shrugged puts the forces of Government vs the forces of the industry and also the forces of the people.

The book is a tome for selfish living.

Selfish living is not evil as you hear some say. It is not intended to sound like crime is ok, but that self interest leads to the greatest all over good for the most humans.

Take the dad on drugs. He is selfish to a fault and the sole person he cares about is him and his drugs are his crutch.

Ayn Rand does not promote that kind of being selfish. She promotes the dad being selfish not using drugs, but by working to his maximum ability in the shortest time.

Then rather than him neglecting his family, his family gets great food, great homes, great autos and awesome savings accounts to the point that his kids get college paid for by him.

That is my take.

Now for this woman's take on the book.

Redress

Liberal Fascist For Life!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Kinda the same way that autism and birth defects change lives...

Mr Person

A Little Bitter
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Ayn Rand went on the dole at the end. That's all you need to know.

Felis Leo

Moral clarity is needed
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
For the many who prefer to watch only videos and keep my opinion out, well others are not happy unless I tell you my opinion first.

It pleases me in a way that my opinion is held in such high esteem.

Atlas Shrugged is merely a good novel. A very long but profound novel.

All books written may have messages. Even kids fairy tales have messages as you all recall. Not all messages are received the same way some complain.

Atlas Shrugged puts the forces of Government vs the forces of the industry and also the forces of the people.

The book is a tome for selfish living.

Selfish living is not evil as you hear some say. It is not intended to sound like crime is ok, but that self interest leads to the greatest all over good for the most humans.

Take the dad on drugs. He is selfish to a fault and the sole person he cares about is him and his drugs are his crutch.

Ayn Rand does not promote that kind of being selfish. She promotes the dad being selfish not using drugs, but by working to his maximum ability in the shortest time.

Then rather than him neglecting his family, his family gets great food, great homes, great autos and awesome savings accounts to the point that his kids get college paid for by him.

That is my take.

Now for this woman's take on the book.

I remember reading Atlas Shrugged years ago. Besides the apparent two-hour long speech that was an apparent thesis of Ayn Rand's ethos, it was a good book.

Top Bottom