• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why assault weapons should be illegal

rehamrick14

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
The liberal politicians seem intent on taking more and more of our rights away. Especially the right to bear arms. For example, there has been a push to make assault weapons illegal. As a libertarian, I think that that is just plain stupid. How is making assault weapons illegal going to help at all? If you're a criminal and are looking for a way to KILL someone, is it going to matter to you whether or not you use an illegal gun to do it? Does it matter if you use an illegal tool to commit and illegal act? Seriously? Making assault weapons illegal will not going to help with murder rates at all. Not to mention its just wrong of the government to do that. One argument I hear a lot is that "When the founding fathers said you had the right to bear arms, they meant single-shot muskets. They didn't even know what an assault weapon was." Do you know what the military used at the time? Muskets. Do you know what the people used at that time? Muskets. The same type of weapon. Im sensing an implication here. Maybe, just maybe, the founding father's were implying that the people were to be just as powerful and well armed as the government. Why do liberals think this is such a bad idea? Why should the government have control over me? Whatever happened to "Power to the People?" The government has simply gotten far to big and is slowly taking our rights. This is of course my opinion and it is not as though it matters to the government anyway.
:bs

The liberal politicians seem intent on taking more and more of our rights away. Especially the right to bear arms. For example, there has been a push to make assault weapons illegal. As a libertarian, I think that that is just plain stupid. How is making assault weapons illegal going to help at all? If you're a criminal and are looking for a way to KILL someone, is it going to matter to you whether or not you use an illegal gun to do it? Does it matter if you use an illegal tool to commit and illegal act? Seriously? Making assault weapons illegal will not going to help with murder rates at all. Not to mention its just wrong of the government to do that. One argument I hear a lot is that "When the founding fathers said you had the right to bear arms, they meant single-shot muskets. They didn't even know what an assault weapon was." Do you know what the military used at the time? Muskets. Do you know what the people used at that time? Muskets. The same type of weapon. Im sensing an implication here. Maybe, just maybe, the founding father's were implying that the people were to be just as powerful and well armed as the government. Why do liberals think this is such a bad idea? Why should the government have control over me? Whatever happened to "Power to the People?" The government has simply gotten far to big and is slowly taking our rights. This is of course my opinion and it is not as though it matters to the government anyway.
:bs

do you honestly believe that the pimps and their toadies who demand such bans are really motivated by public safety?

But I like taking my assault weapons to the range and relieving several weeks of stress with only one hi-cap magazine...

Maybe, just maybe, the founding father's were implying that the people were to be just as powerful and well armed as the government. Why do liberals think this is such a bad idea?

Because they read what people write on the internet and they're not sanguine with such idiots have the ability to turn cities into radioactive cinders?

do you honestly believe that the pimps and their toadies who demand such bans are really motivated by public safety?

If a ban on assault weapons was implemented, do you honestly believe the police wouldn't be granted the authority to track down exactly where those guns left the legal market? Do you honestly believe that criminals wouldn't be aware of the extra heat on such weapons and be less likely to use them in all but the most extreme cases where they really want a lot of people dead?

But I like taking my assault weapons to the range and relieving several weeks of stress with only one hi-cap magazine...
Are you saying Americans should have their right to arms suitable for militia duty removed?

The liberal politicians seem intent on taking more and more of our rights away. Especially the right to bear arms. For example, there has been a push to make assault weapons illegal. As a libertarian, I think that that is just plain stupid. How is making assault weapons illegal going to help at all? If you're a criminal and are looking for a way to KILL someone, is it going to matter to you whether or not you use an illegal gun to do it?

I don't agree with banning assault weapons, but I do want to play devil's advocate here for a minute.

An assault weapon ban probably would help keep them out of the hands of criminals, but only in the long run. Look at what the 1986 ban on full auto weapons did to the market. You can't buy any full auto weapon for less than several thousand dollars, and they're fairly rare and hard to find even if you do have the money. It's not unreasonable to expect assault weapons would do the same thing in 30 years. That isn't justification to ban them, but it probably would work.

I don't agree with banning assault weapons, but I do want to play devil's advocate here for a minute.

An assault weapon ban probably would help keep them out of the hands of criminals, but only in the long run. Look at what the 1986 ban on full auto weapons did to the market. You can't buy any full auto weapon for less than several thousand dollars, and they're fairly rare and hard to find even if you do have the money. It's not unreasonable to expect assault weapons would do the same thing in 30 years. That isn't justification to ban them, but it probably would work.
Seeing how assault weapon is nothing more than a political term for semi-automatic fire arm with certain features on it that scare the **** out of hoplophobes it will do nothing for crime.Because there are semiautomatic firearms with a detachable magazine that that according the brady assault weapons ban are not assault weapons. For example instead of a AR-15 it would be a Ruger Mini-14 or some other semiautomatic firearm that fires the same size cartridge as the AR-15. Now hoplophobes are trying to get all semiautomatic firearms to be considered "assault weapons" not just the civilian firearms that happen to look like the ones the military uses or firearms that have two or more features according to the brady assault weapons ban.

Last edited:
If a ban on assault weapons was implemented, do you honestly believe the police wouldn't be granted the authority to track down exactly where those guns left the legal market? Do you honestly believe that criminals wouldn't be aware of the extra heat on such weapons and be less likely to use them in all but the most extreme cases where they really want a lot of people dead?

there is so much stupid in that I don't know where to start but there would be lots of dead people if that happened

less than 3% of all violent crimes and murders involve use of what liberals call "assault weapons" using your logic, that is an argument for banning all guns

once one engages in the faith based belief that gun control will result in decreased crime and that goal is more important than our rights, the obvious conclusion is that those who believe in gun control will push for complete bans

It seems raising the prices of guns to several thousands of dollars to control what people own only negatively effects the average Joe, and makes the so-called 1% the only ones that can afford such luxuries. So that would make even more stuff only the rich and/or politically connected can own. I would think a lot of people would be against that. Although it sometimes seems as if the same people that are for raising prices so only rich people can afford certain things are the same people that have a dislike for the so-called top 1%.

Its not that expensive to get a Class III license and feed your full auto thrills.
But you also have to realize that less than .05 % of all gun crimes have been committed with anything that even resembles an "assault weapon".

If a ban on assault weapons was implemented, do you honestly believe the police wouldn't be granted the authority to track down exactly where those guns left the legal market?
You mean the same job they avoid doing by not tracking down guns owned illegally by felons?

Do you honestly believe that criminals wouldn't be aware of the extra heat on such weapons and be less likely to use them in all but the most extreme cases where they really want a lot of people dead?
Doesn't stop them from using illegal firearms now, why would any future "heat" yield different results?

How are you going to track a weapon that has had all serial numbers removed and the barrel re-bored?

How are you going to track a weapon that has had all serial numbers removed and the barrel re-bored?

same way they prevent anyone from using marijuana Oxy, or cocaine who doesn't have a prescription

oh wait.......

No one is going to "re-bore" a barrel when you can go on line and just buy another.
That type of machine work is still being done in only a handful of machine shops in the country.

Are you kidding me? If you are going to use a gun to commit violent crime you certainly are not going to be concerned about an added charge of illegal gun possession.

No one is going to "re-bore" a barrel when you can go on line and just buy another.
That type of machine work is still being done in only a handful of machine shops in the country.

Especially for guns with readily available parts, and good aftermarket support.

Especially for guns with readily available parts, and good aftermarket support.

I used to go through a barrel every 4,000 rounds (normally a month) on my EAA 9X21 open gun. The barrels were about 100-anotehr 15 or so to have the last inch machined so the compensator would fit on it

I probably have a dozen aftermarket Glock barrels (mainly so I can shoot lead reloads out of my 45 G21) and lots of 1911 barrels

I used to go through a barrel every 4,000 rounds (normally a month) on my EAA 9X21 open gun. The barrels were about 100-anotehr 15 or so to have the last inch machined so the compensator would fit on it

I probably have a dozen aftermarket Glock barrels (mainly so I can shoot lead reloads out of my 45 G21) and lots of 1911 barrels

1911's, Glocks, some of the S&W semiautomatics, Berettas, 10/22's, Sigs and even my Uberti can have a barrel swapped, and all it takes is a quick trip to Brownell's, or a local retailer if they have a wide array of gun accessories. I do minor smith-work on firearms as a hobby. Refinishing, cleaning, part replacement/repair, etc. Barrels are some of the easiest major components to come by, depending on the model.

1911's, Glocks, some of the S&W semiautomatics, Berettas, 10/22's, Sigs and even my Uberti can have a barrel swapped, and all it takes is a quick trip to Brownell's, or a local retailer if they have a wide array of gun accessories. I do minor smith-work on firearms as a hobby. Refinishing, cleaning, part replacement/repair, etc. Barrels are some of the easiest major components to come by, depending on the model.

yes, you can change a glock barrel in under a minute. a 45, maybe two, a bhp, one, a beretta one, a sig one,

AR 15-depends on what tools you have but less than 20 minutes.

a revolver takes more time but gunsmiths do it constantly

yes, you can change a glock barrel in under a minute. a 45, maybe two, a bhp, one, a beretta one, a sig one,

AR 15-depends on what tools you have but less than 20 minutes.

a revolver takes more time but gunsmiths do it constantly

Rifles an revolvers are tricky, and I won't do a barrel job on those because I simply don't have the equipment to properly do it. Modern rifles are extra difficult because you have to line up the gas port, and still have the correct headspacing. If anything is off, it can be anything from a jam-o-matic to a nice little bomb directly in front of your face. The AR-15 is an easy rifle to work on, but installing a new barrel assembly will screw someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

Rifles an revolvers are tricky, and I won't do a barrel job on those because I simply don't have the equipment to properly do it. Modern rifles are extra difficult because you have to line up the gas port, and still have the correct headspacing. If anything is off, it can be anything from a jam-o-matic to a nice little bomb directly in front of your face. The AR-15 is an easy rifle to work on, but installing a new barrel assembly will screw someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

true many AR 15 match shooters often just put another upper on their rifles that come headspaced

Assault weapons should be banned because they have no use other than to kill people.... Oh and competition shooting.... and self defence... and training if on your own time with police, military etc.

They should also be restricted to 7 rounds because.... well because the man says thats all we need... Because 2 shotgun rounds out a window or doorway should warn them off! Unless they have to get shot in the face 5 times with a .38.

Almost 3% of gun crime in the US comes from these killing rifles that have no legitimate use! We can, by banning these weapons cut crime on our streets by 3%! Unless... you don't add in suicide because it's not a crime in the US... but it should be!

These rifles look too much like their military equivalent and are downright scary looking! Even though they are not anymore lethal than a semi automatic hunting rifle which in actuality is more lethal (full vs intermediate type round), and has better accuracy at longer ranges.

In the end the people who know nothing about guns must demand that these black scary rifles be taken from law abiding citizens because they scare the bejesus out of us!

Back
Top Bottom