• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why aren't republicans cheering their victory?

Gateman_Wen

Official disruptive influence
Banned
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
They got what they wanted, achieved what they've been promising to do, it took decades and they've finally do it. Where are the cheers?

I know that they sure are not coming from the Collins or Murkowski camp. They got some splainin to do

They got what they wanted, achieved what they've been promising to do, it took decades and they've finally do it. Where are the cheers?

You don't count your chickens until they hatch

I mean, it's not 100% confirmed that Roe v. Wade will be overturned.
Or what exactly the majority opinion will turn out to be when it's actually released/passed down whatever term is used.

That said, I've seen republicans cheer before the metaphorical eggs hatched before.

I mean, it's not 100% confirmed that Roe v. Wade will be overturned.

It's about a tie with the sun coming up in the east that day.

Or what exactly the majority opinion will turn out to be when it's actually released/passed down whatever term is used.

Likely 95% the same as this draft.

I can’t wait for the public bashing the leaker is going to get. That person is hosed biggly.

It's about a tie with the sun coming up in the east that day.

Likely 95% the same as this draft.

It can be 100% the same as the draft. That doesn't mean all 5 or 6 justices in the majority will sign on to it.

Last edited:
It can be 100% the same as the draft. That doesn't mean all 5 or 6 justices in the majority will sign on to it.
These things don't reach the 100 page draft stage unless they've already been pretty well hashed out between the justices. You're unlikely to see any substantial changes in the final opinion.

It's almost as if Beau doesn't fully understand the situation...

Typical. He does understand his audience though.

These things don't reach the 100 page draft stage unless they've already been pretty well hashed out between the justices. You're unlikely to see any substantial changes in the final opinion.

You're missing the point. The point being that any one or more of the justices could have voted to uphold the MS law without agreeing that Roe should be fully overturned.

Because they are ****ed. They can't hide the fact they stacked the court with unqualified taliban hacks and they are behaving like the Taliban. I guess they htink their voter suppression laws will be enough to win. They are the minority, they know it, their scum taliban base knows it, and of course, they project. It is republicans that have been rigging elections for decades with their voter suppression tactics.

Perhaps they realize that now they've set up in Crazytown, Turmpistan, they can't very well hope to pull anti-abortion Democrats over to their side. Those would need a moderate Republican to flock to, and those don't really exist. There are the Trumpists, then a small number of those who criticize Trump. Are any of them a Republican version of Manchin?

I'd be worried and pissed about this if I was a Republican. In that alternate universe, there I was pretending I wanted to ban abortion so that I can suck up votes from people my policies actively hurt, and then along comes the unthinkable: a decision actually giving it to them. Abortion banned, I've now angered pro-choice people on the right, I can't suck up anti-abortion Democrat votes because my party is Trumpified, AND I don't have my wedge issue because SCOTUS settled it; the most I could now do is gripe about future Democrat efforts to establish a statutory right to abort.

Of course it's not all that much better to be a pro-choice person in this universe because it is, of course, a draft that would toss the right entirely. But I can see why Republican politicians might not be too happy about it. (They'll say they are, but in their hearts ...heh)

Because they are ****ed. They can't hide the fact they stacked the court with unqualified taliban hacks and they are behaving like the Taliban. I guess they htink their voter suppression laws will be enough to win. They are the minority, they know it, their scum taliban base knows it, and of course, they project. It is republicans that have been rigging elections for decades with their voter suppression tactics.

Fine work, as usual, LC (y)

Even more infuriating to think that gorsuch, kegs, and the handmaid were nominated by a president so f***in' weak that he was never able to win the popular vote.

This f***in' minority rule shit has got to END...

They are not celebrating, they are pissing there pants in private, knowing this will cost them precious votes in November
The old guard Republicans know that abortion was just a wedge issue, something they've been using for 50 years to stir up the base and increase turnout. They were paying lip service to the issue because that benefited them politically. They know liberals were far more apathetic on this issue. The pro-choice side had a Supreme Court decision protecting them, so many of them felt safe. Safe enough, perhaps, to stay home in 2016 because they just didn't like Hillary Clinton. We've all seen the consequences of that. Tiny margins of voters in a handful of states would have swung that. Trump's "landslide" was actually one of the narrowest in history. And look at the consequences. An entire goddamned third of the court is in the hands of the bible thumping cultists for the next 25 years.

Both parties benefit from voter apathy, but the GOP clearly benefits to a greater degree, and they just gave a majority of the American population a powerful reminder that elections do have consequences. Bothsidesism is dead.

Fine work, as usual, LC (y)

Even more infuriating to think that gorsuch, kegs, and the handmaid were nominated by a president so f***in' weak that he was never able to win the popular vote.

This f***in' minority rule shit has got to END...
LOL, the Handmaid! LOL I've been calling her Taliban Queen but I like the Handmaid. She is a total religious nut that would be happy having her husband rape a handmaid.

Perhaps they realize that now they've set up in Crazytown, Turmpistan, they can't very well hope to pull anti-abortion Democrats over to their side. Those would need a moderate Republican to flock to, and those don't really exist. There are the Trumpists, then a small number of those who criticize Trump. Are any of them a Republican version of Manchin?

I'd be worried and pissed about this if I was a Republican. In that alternate universe, there I was pretending I wanted to ban abortion so that I can suck up votes from people my policies actively hurt, and then along comes the unthinkable: a decision actually giving it to them. Abortion banned, I've now angered pro-choice people on the right, I can't suck up anti-abortion Democrat votes because my party is Trumpified, AND I don't have my wedge issue because SCOTUS settled it; the most I could now do is gripe about future Democrat efforts to establish a statutory right to abort.

Finally, they know about 2/3 of Americans support Roe.

The numbers don't look very good for them. I'd post about some conflict one side lost because it put all its resources into winning one battle, but ultimately thus lost the war. But then again, I'm not exactly a military historian.

You're missing the point. The point being that any one or more of the justices could have voted to uphold the MS law without agreeing that Roe should be fully overturned.
But apparently they didn't.

Back
Top Bottom