• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

why are we so divided?

''Specifically, the arrogance of this administration. They refuse to listen to the American people.''

The American people voted this administration in.

The American people have actually never had so much influence over the government nor have we been so privy to the goings-on in DC as we are now.

There use to be little to no measures to ensure fair and balanced reporting, no crack downs on voter fraud and definitely no way of really finding out what was going on.

Now there's no excuse for someone not to know, read or understand what's going on in Washington - the internet has bridged those gaps and made our government accessible to everyone who cares to learn and take a view.

We're living in a golden age of awareness, but we just aren't aware of it, it seems.

I wouldn't trade all of what we have, now, for anything that was in the past. We've actually become so civilized in some ways that it's mind boggling.

Last edited:
The division began some time ago. To think it just began with Obama's administration is just partisan myopia.

I feel the division will increase to the point of violence.
Actually the verbal sparring has become annoying. Drop the gloves and get it on.

Country... Yep, I'd say you hit it.

I'd add:

Democrats were not used to a vocal opposition and they were not used to losing Congress.
Presidential elections they did not expect to win, but Congress was their playground.
Once Congress was lost in 94 in a stunning sweep... things got ugly fast, and they were willing to do and say anything to regain power.

For the politically blind they had a chance to see the depths to which the Democrats would go during Bush 43's years.
When they started attacking our troops on the battlefield... after voting for them to go to war TWICE*... it was obvious... winning power trumped everything.

*Senate voted twice... upon the request of Senate Democrat Leadership.

Last edited:
The division began some time ago. To think it just began with Obama's administration is just partisan myopia.

I feel the division will increase to the point of violence.
Actually the verbal sparring has become annoying. Drop the gloves and get it on.

It was always there.
How could it have begun a long time ago when we've always been at odds over how to do every single thing in our country?

:stop::stop:

In the 1980's we had the three networks and newspapers for our news. Folks were dependent on these. Conservatives were a silent majority.

The Reagan Administration, was a Republican administration headed by Ronald Reagan from January 20, 1981 to January 20, 1989 -- the 80's.

The "silent majority" elected a President in the 80's.

Suddenly the networks had to compete with talk radio and the internet, and conservatives discovered we were being fed only the news that the mostly liberal networks wanted us to hear. Now when we hear a slanted story in the news we challenge it with information we get from talk radio, the internet and now, fox news.

That was a myth that has been debunked with dozens of academic studies, but Fox News jumped on it in order build their viewership.

Most legitimate studies have found the opposite-- network news leans slightly right on fiscal issues and foreign policy. Only with gay rights and abortion has there been any real bias.

Back
Top Bottom