• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why are we so afraid to say "died" and instead say "passed"?

I have always preferred atheist funerals as there is more talk about how the deceased lived their life rather than where he might have gone.

Christian funerals are the same way.

Christian funerals are the same way.
Sometimes true. Except that the christians keep name dropping god or jesus. Not that I have been to enough funerals to study this extensively but I do know I enjoy a funeral or wedding service more when they do not involve a church.

Died sounds final. Passed sounds like a journey.

When folks are dealing with the grief, I guess I just let them call it what they want...

This just irks me no end. When we take our last breath, we have died. We are dead. Fino. So why can't we acknowledge that? A doctor friend of mine told me that this also irked her. And, don't tell me about your belief that we have "passed on" to another state. The body is dead. It decomposes. Once dead, you cannot interact with society. You no longer exist, except in a few people's memories, if you're lucky. You are buried or cremated. Just call it as it is. Died. Not "passed."

Im so glad something like this would never have the ability to "irk" me lol
I have noticed people say different things may be based on emotion, crowd, situation etc . . never cared

This just irks me no end. When we take our last breath, we have died. We are dead. Fino. So why can't we acknowledge that? A doctor friend of mine told me that this also irked her. And, don't tell me about your belief that we have "passed on" to another state. The body is dead. It decomposes. Once dead, you cannot interact with society. You no longer exist, except in a few people's memories, if you're lucky. You are buried or cremated. Just call it as it is. Died. Not "passed."

seriously? This irks you enough to start a thread?

BTW, I have never encountered this "problem" you speak to.

Clue: Passed away means died. WTF?

what are "atheist funerals?"

I just went to a funeral home site and they have tons of funeral options, no atheist specials mentioned.
I do not have to sit in a church for one.
Try asking the funeral director if there is a service where no religious views are shared.
Have not been to enough to make a claim but I do notice a lack of a traditional head stone if any at atheists funerals.

I do not have to sit in a church for one.
Try asking the funeral director if there is a service where no religious views are shared.
Have not been to enough to make a claim but I do notice a lack of a traditional head stone if any at atheists funerals.

so they are not a "thing"

got it

My mom recently "died". I have yet to say she has "passed on" to any one.

What is a thing?
Not all funerals are the same.

LOL, obviously.

but

You led me to believe their was such a thing as an atheist funeral.

Seems it's nothing but a regular funeral less any religious overtones. Nothing unlike any other funeral.

First...you live in a society that has teachers not giving letter grades and forbids teachers from using red ink so they dont hurt childrens feelings. When we have decided its better to entertain delusions with people letting them define themselves based on feeling and not science than to uphold a scientific standard and truly help people learn to help themselves. Where people have become so ****ing mentally weak that at least 40% require chemical stimulation just to function...barely...on any given day. In a time when people are demanding and some countries have already passed legislation that would cause people to be fined or even jailed if they say something that others find offensive........

and THIS is the hill you are choosing to stage a battle on?

Some people are very comfortable with life and death. It depends on ones belief system as to life and an afterlife. I think the "passing on" verbiage is meant to help comfort people not necessarily out of fear of an afterlife but more because of the immediate sadness from loss. I know a lot of military folk and first responders that thrive on gallows type humor where death is concerned. Its a coping mechanism.

We all have our ways.

My mom recently "died". I have yet to say she has "passed on" to any one.
If your belief system holds that there is nothing to pass on to, then there would be no need.

I have always preferred atheist funerals as there is more talk about how the deceased lived their life rather than where he might have gone.
At the same time, some of the most emotionally conflicted people I have worked with have been atheists struggling with the absolute of death with a loved one.

If your belief system holds that there is nothing to pass on to, then there would be no need.
True.
Even if one believes the soul moves on, the body still dies.

True.
Even if one believes the soul moves on, the body still dies.
But we seldom mourn the loss of a body. It is the soul that matters.
IF you believe in such things.

Civilians pass, soldiers fall. They're both deceased.

LOL, obviously.

but

You led me to believe their was such a thing as an atheist funeral.

Seems it's nothing but a regular funeral less any religious overtones. Nothing unlike any other funeral.
What were you expecting? Some kind of secret religion going on ?

It is kind of nice not to have to walk into a church and sit quietly while the christians do their superstitions. Either for a wedding or a funeral.

At the same time, some of the most emotionally conflicted people I have worked with have been atheists struggling with the absolute of death with a loved one.

Some react badly to a death of a loved one no matter whether theist or atheist. Death is absolute for both.

Some react badly to a death of a loved one no matter whether theist or atheist. Death is absolute for both.
True. And managed differently as well. I think the more centered one is in their belief system, the better they are able to manage the death of their loved ones. People mistake sadness for pain. They want to free themselves of sadness...and thats a mistake. Sadness validates love.

True. And managed differently as well. I think the more centered one is in their belief system, the better they are able to manage the death of their loved ones. People mistake sadness for pain. They want to free themselves of sadness...and thats a mistake. Sadness validates love.
Which is why religion is referred to as an opiate. It is a relief from pain and an addiction.

Which is why religion is referred to as an opiate. It is a relief from pain and an addiction.
Belief systems are not by nature the realm of the religous. Atheists have a belief system. Agnostics have a belief system. I dont think you need to be comfortable and confident in your religion...but in your belief system...whatever that is to you.

Back
Top Bottom