• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why are we so afraid to say "died" and instead say "passed"?

Belief systems are not by nature the realm of the religous. Atheists have a belief system. Agnostics have a belief system. I dont think you need to be comfortable and confident in your religion...but in your belief system...whatever that is to you.
True. That a person needs to be comfortable with their belief system. But not true that everyone has a specific belief system.

As I said, at atheist funerals the tendency is to talk about how the person lived than dwell on where they might be going or whether they were in some deities good graces.

What were you expecting? Some kind of secret religion going on ?

Not secret but something structured is how I interpreted your post, hence my research.

It is kind of nice not to have to walk into a church and sit quietly while the christians do their superstitions. Either for a wedding or a funeral.

I disagree! I am an agnostic and realize that religion is but a man invented crutch BUT I love the pageantry inherent in a church service. The architecture, incents at a funeral, the organ, choir. Whenever I travel and have time I seek out architecturally relevant churches and attend mass. It's like going to a living museum.

True. That a person needs to be comfortable with their belief system. But not true that everyone has a specific belief system.

As I said, at atheist funerals the tendency is to talk about how the person lived than dwell on where they might be going or whether they were in some deities good graces.
My experience with most funerals I have attended is that in MOST cases except where sudden tragedies have occured and people are trying to get a grip on their own grief, is that the funerals are also a celebration of life and an opportunity for the people to console one another in their sadness regarding their loss. My wifes family has a tradition of handling the actual burial themselves...even if that means having the cemetery works bring in the dirt and then they shovel it in and fill up the hole. Before they are done they are usually laughing and joking with one another...its their way.

Not secret but something structured is how I interpreted your post, hence my research.

I disagree! I am an agnostic and realize that religion is but a man invented crutch BUT I love the pageantry inherent in a church service. The architecture, incents at a funeral, the organ, choir. Whenever I travel and have time I seek out architecturally relevant churches and attend mass. It's like going to a living museum.
Consider that atheism is actually nothing more than a lack of belief in a god. There is no structure system as there is no structure to atheism apart from that one fact.

An atheist is free to bury or marry however they please. Where as religion requires church and a grave yard.

I find the pageantry meaningless at best and a corrupt way of fleecing the foolish at worst.

Where as religion requires church and a grave yard.

No it doesn't. It requires neither.

I find the pageantry meaningless at best and a corrupt way of fleecing the foolish at worst.

Do you feel the same about other cultural presentations?

No one is "fleeced." The parishioners contribute to support the art! Like buying a ticket, just voluntary. How nice!

No it doesn't. It requires neither.
I suppose that you can have various side branches of belief in a god where the participants do not use a church or graveyard. But that would not be typical.

Do you feel the same about other cultural presentations?
Depends on the presentation.

No one is "fleeced." The parishioners contribute to support the art! Like buying a ticket, just voluntary. How nice!

At least with art you get a picture. All religion gives you is an unfulfilled promise.

Back
Top Bottom