• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why are we seeing so much moral outrage?

it's just me

Non Bidenary
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Why do people express so much moral outrage?

A pair of academic researchers recently asked this question and discovered “that moral outrage at third-party transgressions is sometimes a means of reducing guilt over one’s own moral failings and restoring a moral identity.”

The paper is (appropriately) titled, “A cleansing fire: Moral outrage alleviates guilt and buffers threats to one’s moral identity.” It was written by Zachary K. Rothschild, an assistant professor of psychology at Bowdoin College, and Lucas A. Keefer, an assistant professor of social psychology at Southern Miss.

Moral Outrage: A Theory on Why We’re Seeing So Much of It | Intellectual Takeout

To put is simply:

It's much easier to point fingers at others than to look into the mirror.

So that's why Pantyfa is threatening kids?

Maybe for atheists. Me — I want a healthy society. It is outrageous that so many people insist on making it sick. I'm not entirely sure what 'moral outrage' is though..

Think about what?

What is Pantyfa?
What threats?
What kids?

Wow, you haven't been keeping up with current events, have you? Pantyfa are "Antifa". Go find some videos and you'll see what I'm talking about. That said, Antifa has an incredible amount of rage over something that has nothing to do with them. Reminds me of the 60s all over again. The article might be one answer.

Maybe for atheists. Me — I want a healthy society. It is outrageous that so many people insist on making it sick. I'm not entirely sure what 'moral outrage' is though..

Try googling it, its really a thing.

Why do people express so much moral outrage?

A pair of academic researchers recently asked this question and discovered “that moral outrage at third-party transgressions is sometimes a means of reducing guilt over one’s own moral failings and restoring a moral identity.”

The paper is (appropriately) titled, “A cleansing fire: Moral outrage alleviates guilt and buffers threats to one’s moral identity.” It was written by Zachary K. Rothschild, an assistant professor of psychology at Bowdoin College, and Lucas A. Keefer, an assistant professor of social psychology at Southern Miss.

Moral Outrage: A Theory on Why We’re Seeing So Much of It | Intellectual Takeout

For years I’ve seen morality described as relative by pretty much the very same people who now argue that failing to support Biden is an objective moral wrong.

Wow, you haven't been keeping up with current events, have you? Pantyfa are "Antifa". Go find some videos and you'll see what I'm talking about. That said, Antifa has an incredible amount of rage over something that has nothing to do with them. Reminds me of the 60s all over again. The article might be one answer.

I thought you might be seeking an actual discussion.

If you want to rage against a political, current events crap from fringe extremist groups, you posted this in the wrong section of DP.

Try googling it, its really a thing.
Fine.
The Myth of Moral Outrage | Mind & Morality | Center for Humans & Nature
To be sure, people become angry when someone mistreats them or someone they care about, but is there a kind of anger that people experience when they learn that a complete stranger’s rights have been trampled? Surprisingly, the scientific support for the reality of this truly disinterested form of moral outrage is quite flimsy.
Sounds to me like someone wants to stir up some drama.

For years I’ve seen morality described as relative by pretty much the very same people who now argue that failing to support Biden is an objective moral wrong.

That and voting for Trump.

I thought you might be seeking an actual discussion.

If you want to rage against a political, current events crap from fringe extremist groups, you posted this in the wrong section of DP.

I am but since you have nothing to contribute by your own admission you should sit this one out.

I think it's just meant to bait atheists.

Stay tuned I will post an example of what I mean when I come back but there are some posters who want to drag me down some rabbit trail every time I post anything.

Stay tuned I will post an example of what I mean when I come back but there are some posters who want to drag me down some rabbit trail every time I post anything.

My response isn't in regard to your OP, but to the vapid statement 'maybe for atheists' which is obviously nothing more than flame bait.

Yeah, most people recognize a bottom feeder when they see one...

I am but since you have nothing to contribute by your own admission you should sit this one out.

I started out (post #2) interested in giving this thread a chance. I contributed right from the get-go.

You are the one who decided to get rude pretty much right away.

So be it. Enjoy your discussion.

How are they making it sick?

What does Antifa have to do with anything? The political forum is back over there somewhere...….

Back
Top Bottom