• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why are the Outrageous/Provocative Threads the Most Durable?

Captain Adverse

Classical Liberal Sage
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I’ve noticed that thoughtful posts on various topics generate some responses, but eventually fade away fairly quickly.

However, certain members keep posting the most asinine positions, spouting racism, sexism, homophobia, vapid pro- or anti- this or that, and lets not forget religion…that just keep coming up then going, going, going on and on a looooong time.

What’s up with that? Very few people who participate in these kinds of threads actually LISTEN to the other viewpoint. Oh they may attack a position “point by point” but seldom look at the whole argument and admit “Hey, you may have something there.”

It eventually devolves into the same platitudes spouted back and forth for hundreds of posts….The someone starts another thread on the exact same issue and off we go again.

I participate for a while, then I just stop when I realize I am making no headway in either direction. I’m curious for those of you who just keep feeding into this sort of thing, especially so many intelligent members…why? :confused:

I’ve noticed that thoughtful posts on various topics generate some responses, but eventually fade away fairly quickly.

However, certain members keep posting the most asinine positions, spouting racism, sexism, homophobia, vapid pro- or anti- this or that, and lets not forget religion…that just keep coming up then going, going, going on and on a looooong time.

What’s up with that? Very few people who participate in these kinds of threads actually LISTEN to the other viewpoint. Oh they may attack a position “point by point” but seldom look at the whole argument and admit “Hey, you may have something there.”

It eventually devolves into the same platitudes spouted back and forth for hundreds of posts….The someone starts another thread on the exact same issue and off we go again.

I participate for a while, then I just stop when I realize I am making no headway in either direction. I’m curious for those of you who just keep feeding into this sort of thing, especially so many intelligent members…why? :confused:

Some people like to push buttons and others like to have their buttons pushed...and there is always that very slim chance that maybe you "could" get the other party to stop and think for just a moment....

because when we all agree we end the conversation. Where as when we don't... well, convincing the other side that their perspective is wrong is not really going to work a lot of the times... with most of the people.

Also. Everyone has an opinion on the most controversial of things because the established things need no opinion... they're established.

Because they're safe and require no effort.

The more involved discussions might require that consensus and emotionality be jettisoned, in favour of insight and analysis. The majority prefer to be spoon-fed.

Because there is nothing worse than preparing a thoughtful thread on a subject of which you have knowledge and interest, only to see it end up like this:

Replies: 0
Views: 492

People want their threads to be acknowledged, and outrageous, provocative topics will definitely be noticed. ;)

Because there is nothing worse than preparing a thoughtful thread on a subject of which you have knowledge and interest, only to see it end up like this:

People want their threads to be acknowledged, and outrageous, provocative topics will definitely be noticed. ;)

Thank you for that perspicacious response - you are totally correct.

I very seldom initiate threads, and even when I try and reply in a reasoned and non-confrontational manner, I get very few responses. This may, in part, be due to the fact as a Brit student, my interests may not always be the same as the majority of members here, and I accept that as unavoidable. But it would be nice, as well as useful, to be able to discuss matters seen as important, with people from quite different backgrounds and societies. A fresh perspective upon one's own views can often be very useful. But constant dismissal of 'the left' or 'the right' as Der Fiend is of limited utility.

I get very few responses. This may, in part, be due to the fact as a Brit student, my interests may not always be the same as the majority of members here, and I accept that as unavoidable. .
-----------------
That is a problem.
Maybe you should reinvent yourself as a British soccer thug?
Your use of the word "perspicacious" will not help your transformation.

That's true. It's just sad that a person may have to take a hard line in order to intiate a debate. I'm not typically inflammatory, although I admit I can get "inflamed" by some of those intentionally provocative threads. :)

-----------------
That is a problem.
Maybe you should reinvent yourself as a British soccer thug?
Your use of the word "perspicacious" will not help your transformation.

LOL, a good point! Just one thing, there is no such thing as a 'soccer thug' in Britain. We call the game football, and have always done so. It is only the colonials (Americans, Canadians, and Aussies,) who for some inexplicable reason have invented the term 'soccer'. Everywhere else in Europe it is some variation of fussball (not an entirely illogical name for a game where the ball may only be propelled by the foot). :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom