• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why are some atheists bothered when it is said that disbelievers will go to hell?

When told that according to X religion, you as a disbeliever would go to hell, you feel...

• Total voters
Oh, you mean about hell being the grave, where the dead know nothing at all, where there is no work nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom in Sheol/grave...those verses?
Are you really trying to be annoying?

Making it not Islam.

One of these is you isn't it?

Burying-your-head-in-the-sand.jpg

Making it not Islam.

I believe what Valery is saying is that in her (his?) view that only what we consider Sunni Islam is the only true Islam. If one asked most Christians in western Europe during the time of the Reformation if there were different types of Christianity, he would be told that there was only one true faith, the holy Roman Catholic Church. One can debate with her, but surely she is entitled to hold her own beliefs.

I believe what Valery is saying is that in her (his?) view that only what we consider Sunni Islam is the only true Islam. If one asked most Christians in western Europe during the time of the Reformation if there were different types of Christianity, he would be told that there was only one true faith, the holy Roman Catholic Church. One can debate with her, but surely she is entitled to hold her own beliefs.
As long as it is stated as belief.....not fact

All fine and dandy.

Trouble is, he/she was being purposefully and arrogantly obtuse when asked a simple, and direct question.

Not to mention the only thing that can be deduced so far is that he/she isn't a Shia Muslim.
You're making a leap in assuming he/she is Sunni.
Still some gray area there.

The shias have deviated and invented a lot of things that are not part of Islam.

I am sure they will say the same about your version.

I am sure they will say the same about your version.

Valery is clearly Sunni, and my studies of Islam have brought me to the conclusion that they follow the Islam that Mohamed invented more than the others.

Oh it is a fact, the truth.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

Without using the Quran to prove the Quran and it's contents, prove your "truth", is something other than just "your truth".

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

Without using the Quran to prove the Quran and it's contents, prove your "truth", is something other than just "your truth".
Why do you refuse to look at the evidence in the Qur'an? 😌

You don't get it. There are no versions.

The mere fact you said 'They practice things that aren't islam' show there is. That's a big fail on your part.

You don't have a clue.

Why don't you clue me in?

A God that would create and populate a world with diverse people, then send anyone who didn't say the exact right magic words at precise moments to hell - even if that person lived their life in an Amazonian stone age tribe completely unaware of the 'right' religion - would be an evil God.

I completely agree. Nature, like loving parents, corrects people for their own good, not for the sake of vengeful and punitive purposes. Eternal punishment for temporal errors makes no sense. If we were all born with perfect knowledge, then we wouldn't be very diverse.

If they don't believe in hell and they have no doubt about their beliefs, whatsoever (they often claim they do not), why would it bother them if a Mormon/Muslim/Jew/Christian/Hindu said that they believe that those who disbelieve in their religion will go to hell?

I have heard multiple arguments from Christians that Muslims will go to hell. This has never made me feel the slightest discomfort.

Anyone who tells me I’m going to hell is telling me they believe that I should be mercilessly tortured. Of course it’s offensive.

You wouldn't know.

What's there to know?

I can see how many cultures that have embraced that book have become stuck in an archaic, and in some cases repulsive pattern of living.

The absolute subjugation of women.
The insane anger and violence against homosexuality.
The bizarre and insane response to simple things like cartoons.
Child brides.
Forced marriages.

The list goes on...

Muslim cultures are wallowing in a lifestyle that's about 1000 years behind the times.

What could I possibly find in the Quran that might change my mind on any of that????

Anyone who tells me I’m going to hell is telling me they believe that I should be mercilessly tortured. Of course it’s offensive.
I actually doubt people think that. Also you don't have to think of someone telling you that you would go to hell, but rather think of someone saying that those who do not believe in their religion when they die, will go to hell.

This kind of thing often comes up when someone is proselytising so they actually would probably be trying to "save you". In other words, they do not "think you should be...." as though it was their personal inclination. Rather, they fear for you.

What could you possibly lose in finding out?

Why do the Shia and the Sunni in the Middle East area hate on another so much that they kill one another by the dozens and even hundreds?

Why do the Shia and the Sunni in the Middle East area hate on another so much that they kill one another by the dozens and even hundreds?

Because each believes the other has committed the greatest sin of "telling a lie concerning God". I get the Sunni position, because the Shia have added beliefs post-Mohamed, but I have no idea what the Shia complaint is against Sunnis. The original split was caused by a disagreement about who should be Mohamed's successor, so who knows - maybe they're still harboring that grudge.

As an aside, I think the whole Sunni/Shia shit-show is another proof that Islam was created solely by Mohamed minus any divine help. Surely an all-knowing God would have realized that a successor would have to named and agreed upon so as to prevent said shit-show. The fact that Mohamed never made it clear who the next leader should be shows that insufficient thought was given to the matter - something no god worth his salt would not have thought of.

Back
Top Bottom