• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why are some atheists bothered when it is said that disbelievers will go to hell?

When told that according to X religion, you as a disbeliever would go to hell, you feel...

• Total voters
The one thing about Judaism is that one very common Jewish attitude is that Judaism is the path that they chose to get to God. As long as a group of people follow the Noahide laws, many Jews feel that other people can get to God in their own way.

I have seen enormous bitterness between different Jewish sects. It is nice if "many Jews" feel that people can get to God in their own way, but most religious Jews (I will not count Jews who are not religious) feel that their way is best and sometimes that it is the only way.

It depends on which Christian you ask.

My point in posting about this wasn't really about Christianity. I was attempting to use Christianity to make a point. My point was that Islam is not simply a religion divided into two warring factions, the Shia and the Sunni. Much of the Muslim world is not obsessed with the Shia/Sunni schism. In African countries like Senegal for example, people practice Islam simply without worrying who else practices it.

There are many people doubting their faith that may want to see what the other side has to offer, or maybe a devoutly religious person may want to challenge their faith by wading into the shark infested waters of online religious debates. Everyone has their own reason.
Can someone prove God does exist? Or can someone prove God does not exist? That kind of a debate is not only useless but also a waste of time.
The original question was "Why are some atheists bothered when it is said that disbelievers will go to hell?", which implies that the conversation was never constructive.

A Muslim.

Why are you so afraid to answer the question?

Shia? Sunni? Something else?

There's many different branches of Christianity. A few different branches of Judaism?

It's also well known there are different branches of Islam.

So which one do you subscribe to?

I have seen enormous bitterness between different Jewish sects. It is nice if "many Jews" feel that people can get to God in their own way, but most religious Jews (I will not count Jews who are not religious) feel that their way is best and sometimes that it is the only way.

The Hardin and the Haschids are much more inflexible, but they are also a minority of the Jews.

So you reject verses of the Bible because you don't think they're fair? But don't you think that God knows more than you?
What verses would they be?

I am indifferent to such a claim, for the person making such a claim has absolutely no clue as to whether it is true or not. Hell is merely the invention of ancient holy men and to be told I'm going to Hell by one who believes this foolishness is of no consequence to me at all. It is nothing more than a primitive belief held by those given to primitive beliefs.

Last edited:
Pope Francis said atheists need not go to hell, if they are good people.

I'm not a Catholic, but it sounds right.

There's many different branches of Christianity. A few different branches of Judaism?

There are many branches of Islam, and yes, most are killing each other for trivial reasons, however they will all join sides to fight a common enemy, the Kafir, and return to their common behavior afterwords.

There are no branches of Islam.

Well it is also deemed acceptable to teach kids and teenagers that there is no god so (n)😅Crappy complaint, unless of course you oppose that as well... :sneaky:
Why should it be acceptable to teach kids about a myth? Except in a mythology or fiction class? What you want is YOUR RELIGION as part of the curriculum...and that is no more than a myth. Why should anyone else be exposed to it? Christians can teach Christianity at home. Go to church. Same for any other religion.

Do you want schools teaching a religion that you dont believe in?

Please explain? And there is no proof of God, dont bother going there.

If they don't believe in hell and they have no doubt about their beliefs, whatsoever (they often claim they do not), why would it bother them if a Mormon/Muslim/Jew/Christian/Hindu said that they believe that those who disbelieve in their religion will go to hell?

I have heard multiple arguments from Christians that Muslims will go to hell. This has never made me feel the slightest discomfort.
No one likes to be told, "It's my way or the highway".

Well, if your belief system is that others who do not believe as you do will be tortured for all eternity for no other reason, it means that you are adhering to an extremist, deranged, hateful, anti-freedom ideology. It would bother me that there are so many fringe lunatics surrounding me. Problem is, almost no one believes it. Those who proclaim themselves the most devout are often the least adhering to so-called Christian beliefs. It is simply an aspiration for wannabe-dictator-devotees -- that if you don't hold theirs beliefs and think like they do, you will be punished.

In a sane world, if someone said that you are going to be melted in a lake of lava for all eternity for not worshiping an invisible dictator, you'd back away slowly and alert the authorities. We accept that others (supposedly) think like because our culture has prepared us.

If they don't believe in hell and they have no doubt about their beliefs, whatsoever (they often claim they do not), why would it bother them if a Mormon/Muslim/Jew/Christian/Hindu said that they believe that those who disbelieve in their religion will go to hell?

I have heard multiple arguments from Christians that Muslims will go to hell. This has never made me feel the slightest discomfort.

If Christians still went on crusades, would you feel the same way?

How often throughout history have believers decided that God needed help in getting non-believers to their destination?
How many Humans right now think that the world would be so much better off if everyone of group X simply weren't around any more? And how dangerous is it to provide them with justification?

If Christians still went on crusades, would you feel the same way?

How often throughout history have believers decided that God needed help in getting non-believers to their destination?
How many Humans right now think that the world would be so much better off if everyone of group X simply weren't around any more? And how dangerous is it to provide them with justification?
Yes. I would feel the same way. However, there is a significant difference between, "disbelievers go to hell," and, "I'm going to kill you."

The shias have deviated and invented a lot of things that are not part of Islam.

Making it a "branch of Islam". :rolleyes:

If you can't even be honest about your own religion you should find a forum dedicated to your specific beliefs.

600px-Islam_branches_and_schools..png

The ones about hell, among others.
Oh, you mean about hell being the grave, where the dead know nothing at all, where there is no work nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom in Sheol/grave...those verses?

Back
Top Bottom