• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why are some atheists bothered when it is said that disbelievers will go to hell?

When told that according to X religion, you as a disbeliever would go to hell, you feel...

• Total voters
I’ve wondered the same, frankly. Of course, if it’s something like, “you’re going to burn in hell, hahahahahahah,” that’s insulting and that makes it sound like you want that to happen.

That happens quite frequently. More like 'Get out of Sodom and Gomorrah, or go down to the pit', and references to BBQ pit. It is annoying because it shows a real childish mentality. The holier than tho attitude is annoying too, particularly when doing something like that is showing that they aren't at all .

That happens quite frequently. More like 'Get out of Sodom and Gomorrah, or go down to the pit', and references to BBQ pit. It is annoying because it shows a real childish mentality. The holier than tho attitude is annoying too, particularly when doing something like that is showing that they aren't at all .

Well it’s not only religious folks that can have a “holier than thou” attitude. There are atheists that are quite confident in their belief in their own superiority.

Well it’s not only religious folks that can have a “holier than thou” attitude. There are atheists that are quite confident in their belief in their own superiority.

Many are. yes.. But, I have never had an atheist come to my door , or tell me I am going to hell. Or, call me Christ Killer.

Many are. yes.. But, I have never had an atheist come to my door , or tell me I am going to hell. Or, call me Christ Killer.

That would be most odd for an atheist to do. That’s like me saying, “well I’ve never had a Christian call me mentally ill for believing in God.”

I believe there is a god and I don't believe in hell or fallen angels. I don't think anyone has accurately described god or his intentions. Most religions are an attempt by ancient humans trying to explain the unknown.

Most of all, I don't care what others believe, it doesn't affect me.

Imagine someone sitting on train tracks and you know (or believe) a train is coming, is it scare tactics to try to warn the people on the tracks of the train?

Train tracks and trains are actual things. Real. Probably everyone here has ridden on a train. Hardly a fair comparison.

Imagine this scenario instead:

You're relaxing on your deck in the Shenandoah Mountains. Looking out across a wide grassy field towards the woods where the fall foliage is starting to change color.

Out of the woods a guy comes running towards you. As he gets closer you can hear what he's saying.

He's telling you to run. Run quickly. Your life depends on it.
You ask him why? What's the threat or possible problem?

The guy tells you that there's a Kraken that's rushing through the forest in this very direction.

You say "A WHAT?".

He says "A KRAKEN!!!! You've been warned!!!"

The dude then turns and disappears back into the woods.

You think about your options.

Some guy you don't know tells you to run for your life.
From a Kraken.
While you're in the mountains. Far from the sea.
A Kraken.

My guess is you'd probably not run. You'd probably go back to relaxing on your deck.
Maybe with your rifle near-by just in case the whacko Kraken dude comes back.

I highly doubt you'd start running for your life.

Train tracks and trains are actual things. Real. Probably everyone here has ridden on a train. Hardly a fair comparison.

Imagine this scenario instead:

You're relaxing on your deck in the Shenandoah Mountains. Looking out across a wide grassy field towards the woods where the fall foliage is starting to change color.

Out of the woods a guy comes running towards you. As he gets closer you can hear what he's saying.

He's telling you to run. Run quickly. Your life depends on it.
You ask him why? What's the threat or possible problem?

The guy tells you that there's a Kraken that's rushing through the forest in this very direction.

You say "A WHAT?".

He says "A KRAKEN!!!! You've been warned!!!"

The dude then turns and disappears back into the woods.

You think about your options.

Some guy you don't know tells you to run for your life.
From a Kraken.
While you're in the mountains. Far from the sea.
A Kraken.

My guess is you'd probably not run. You'd probably go back to relaxing on your deck.
Maybe with your rifle near-by just in case the whacko Kraken dude comes back.

I highly doubt you'd start running for your life.
Death is real...

This is exactly the point that should addressed to all those complaining of being warned about hell.

I'm against all abuse so if a (ir)religious person takes their proselytising to the level of it being abusive, it is wrong, but criticising the mere act of proselytising/warning of hell, and wanting to eradicate it, shows a lack of understanding and, very likely, hypocrisy.
I think your beliefs are a sign of delusion.

Just a warning though

This is exactly the point that should addressed to all those complaining of being warned about hell.

I'm against all abuse so if a (ir)religious person takes their proselytising to the level of it being abusive, it is wrong, but criticising the mere act of proselytising/warning of hell, and wanting to eradicate it, shows a lack of understanding and, very likely, hypocrisy.

As usual, you are misrepresenting what atheists say. We really don't care that much if a religionist assigns us to hell. Truth is, we chuckle at it since we don't even buy the concept. If anything, we make fun of those who do the "eternal damnation" bit in that it shows that they can no longer debate in a serious and thoughtful manner. It shows a weakness on the part of the religionist in that they feel the need to do so.

I believe there is a god and I don't believe in hell or fallen angels. I don't think anyone has accurately described god or his intentions. Most religions are an attempt by ancient humans trying to explain the unknown.

Most of all, I don't care what others believe, it doesn't affect me.
You call yourself "a truth seeker"?

It doesn't bother most atheists, we just think it's dickish. What you're basically doing is trying to threaten us and make us scared enough to start believing in your religion. You can't convince us on merit so you shout about how we're all gonna pay and be super sorry we didn't listen to you someday.

Be honest, it sure does make you feel extra warm and fuzzy to reflect on everybody who ever refused to believe what you do will be tortured for eternity without reprieve.
Not everybody.

As usual, you are misrepresenting what atheists say. We really don't care that much if a religionist assigns us to hell. Truth is, we chuckle at it since we don't even buy the concept. If anything, we make fun of those who do the "eternal damnation" bit in that it shows that they can no longer debate in a serious and thoughtful manner. It shows a weakness on the part of the religionist in that they feel the need to do so.
Here to show your immaturity again?

Who made you the speaker for all atheists?

Here to show your immaturity again?

My second point is certainly not.

(note how nicely I wrote on the title 'some atheists')
Says the muslim who goes around telling atheists what they believe?

I'm every bit as scared of your hell as you are of christian hell.

If they don't believe in hell and they have no doubt about their beliefs, whatsoever (they often claim they do not), why would it bother them if a Mormon/Muslim/Jew/Christian/Hindu said that they believe that those who disbelieve in their religion will go to hell?

I have heard multiple arguments from Christians that Muslims will go to hell. This has never made me feel the slightest discomfort.

I find it somewhat distasteful being reminded that I live in a world so full of such stupidity. It also sickens me that so many people are brainwashing their children with that nonsense.

Because an ateist doesn't believe that hell exist:unsure:?
Or more serious: Because a non beliver consider it a waste of time to discuss religion with a religious person since a religious person always is enclined not to listen or take part, just to state their own opinion, due to that most religios orientations has inbedded that doubt and questioning makes you go to hell. So: A religious person can not take part in a religious discussion.

As I said, waste of time, can only lead to brawl.

Because an ateist doesn't believe that hell exist:unsure:?
Or more serious: Because a non beliver consider it a waste of time to discuss religion with a religious person since a religious person always is enclined not to listen or take part, just to state their own opinion, due to that most religios orientations has inbedded that doubt and questioning makes you go to hell. So: A religious person can not take part in a religious discussion.

As I said, waste of time, can only lead to brawl.
A significant amount of atheist youtubers, bloggers and online forum users, etc. prove you wrong.

A significant amount of atheist youtubers, bloggers and online forum users, etc. prove you wrong.
Okay: What was your question now? Did you ask about youtubers and bloggers? It is their job to react strongly and to have a strong opinion on just about everything. It is what gives them followers which in turn gives their business a boast

I have heard multiple arguments from Christians that Muslims will go to hell. This has never made me feel the slightest discomfort.

That's what atheists say too! :ROFLMAO:

I don't know why you'd volunteer that irrelevant information! Your OP is about atheists, right? :LOL:

I think the religious zealots are kind of funny. If it makes them feel good that they are going to heaven that's good. If fearing hell tempers their behavior that is good. They are never going to know it was all BS.

But I don't want them indoctrinated my children and I don't think they have any place in government.

Back
Top Bottom