• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why are some atheists bothered when it is said that disbelievers will go to hell?

When told that according to X religion, you as a disbeliever would go to hell, you feel...

• Total voters

Valery

Reaction score
If they don't believe in hell and they have no doubt about their beliefs, whatsoever (they often claim they do not), why would it bother them if a Mormon/Muslim/Jew/Christian/Hindu said that they believe that those who disbelieve in their religion will go to hell?

I have heard multiple arguments from Christians that Muslims will go to hell. This has never made me feel the slightest discomfort.

It doesn't bother most atheists, we just think it's dickish. What you're basically doing is trying to threaten us and make us scared enough to start believing in your religion. You can't convince us on merit so you shout about how we're all gonna pay and be super sorry we didn't listen to you someday.

Be honest, it sure does make you feel extra warm and fuzzy to reflect on everybody who ever refused to believe what you do will be tortured for eternity without reprieve.

Since I don't believe in the supernatural, the only feeling I have about someone who thinks those who don't believe in their religion will go to hell, is a general disappointment that people aren't more rational.

If they don't believe in hell and they have no doubt about their beliefs, whatsoever (they often claim they do not), why would it bother them if a Mormon/Muslim/Jew/Christian/Hindu said that they believe that those who disbelieve in their religion will go to hell?

I have heard multiple arguments from Christians that Muslims will go to hell. This has never made me feel the slightest discomfort.

Bullshit. All humans are teh same. When you insult someone they have a response. ANY belief anyone has that is contradicted sparks this response, subtle or pronounced, a physical response is normal.

Since I don't believe in the supernatural, the only feeling I have about someone who thinks those who don't believe in their religion will go to hell, is a general disappointment that people aren't more rational.

What a nice way to say you wish they were not morons. :)

Reactions: jpn
It doesn't bother me in the personal sense. I find it distasteful and dickish as another poster said. I do get bothered when it is said to children and teenagers as an attempt to scare and indoctrinate them. Somehow it's seen as morally acceptable yet it is the equivalent of "you better believe this, and if not it would be ashamed if something happened to you *wink wink*"

It doesn't bother me in the personal sense. I find it distasteful and dickish as another poster said. I do get bothered when it is said to children and teenagers as an attempt to scare and indoctrinate them. Somehow it's seen as morally acceptable yet it is the equivalent of "you better believe this, and if not it would be ashamed if something happened to you *wink wink*"
Well it is also deemed acceptable to teach kids and teenagers that there is no god so (n)😅Crappy complaint, unless of course you oppose that as well... :sneaky:

I have yet to meet a single atheist who is concerned by such a thing. How many athiests have you run into who have told you they are bothered with accusations they’re going to a made up place that sounds like someone with brain damage came up with it? A literal lake of fire that you burn in for eternity? What kind of complete stupid shit is that?

Well it is also deemed acceptable to teach kids and teenagers that there is no god so (n)😅Crappy complaint, unless of course you oppose that as well... :sneaky:
I agree. I have a child and have never and would never teach him that there is no god. I'd teach him to think for himself and I'd tell him my opinion if he asked for it.

But your comparison doesn't really hold up. If you had said "it's also deemed acceptable to threaten children with harsh mental and physical abuse unless they profess to not believe in a god" then it would be more of an apt comparison.

It doesn't bother me. Scary stories about bogeymen are for children.

Because it is rude as ****.

For all the religious types, as far as I'm concerned you can damn one another to all the hells you wish for believing in the wrong religion. As an atheist, I don't care what you think or where you think I'm going after I kick the bucket.

Not bothered. I don't believe in any heaven, why should I believe in a hell?

Why are some atheists bothered when it is said that disbelievers will go to hell?

Which atheists are bothered by this? Do you actually know any atheists at all?
Or are you just trying to throw stones while blindfolded?

Because it is rude as ****.
A lotta rudeness goes on...I consider the source...some sources are not worth my time or trouble...

I’ve wondered the same, frankly. Of course, if it’s something like, “you’re going to burn in hell, hahahahahahah,” that’s insulting and that makes it sound like you want that to happen.

I’ve wondered the same, frankly. Of course, if it’s something like, “you’re going to burn in hell, hahahahahahah,” that’s insulting and that makes it sound like you want that to happen.
Scare tactics do not work in the long run...a person has to have a love for doing right, for pleasing their Creator...otherwise it is fake and it will end...

Scare tactics do not work in the long run...a person has to have a love for doing right, for pleasing their Creator...otherwise it is fake and it will end...

I guess it depends on how it’s presented. Imagine someone sitting on train tracks and you know (or believe) a train is coming, is it scare tactics to try to warn the people on the tracks of the train?

I guess it depends on how it’s presented. Imagine someone sitting on train tracks and you know (or believe) a train is coming, is it scare tactics to try to warn the people on the tracks of the train?
Entirely different scenario...such a person has to want to live a pure life throughout eternity...

I found your poll a little confusing for the very reason exemplified by the example you gave: most doctrinaire religions believe that their way is the only way to salvation and that not only atheists, but that every other religion and even sects of the same religion cannot find salvation. (I realize that among some Christian religions this has changed over time but in the 16th century Calvinists burned Lutherans at the stake and Lutherans burnt Catholics at the stake and so on. Being a Christian was not enough to save you; you had to be a member of the exact denomination as the prevailing religion in the area.)

I am, therefore, asking why only atheists might be offended (or irritated or annoyed) when a religion told them that they were damned? It is likely that no matter what religion a believer chose that several other religions would be considering him damned.

I found your poll a little confusing for the very reason exemplified by the example you gave: most doctrinaire religions believe that their way is the only way to salvation and that not only atheists, but that every other religion and even sects of the same religion cannot find salvation. (I realize that among some Christian religions this has changed over time but in the 16th century Calvinists burned Lutherans at the stake and Lutherans burnt Catholics at the stake and so on. Being a Christian was not enough to save you; you had to be a member of the exact denomination as the prevailing religion in the area.)

I am, therefore, asking why only atheists might be offended (or irritated or annoyed) when a religion told them that they were damned? It is likely that no matter what religion a believer chose that several other religions would be considering him damned.
The poll takes that into account. The reason it is for atheists is that I rarely run into (and it could be mere coincidence) religious people who defend themselves or express frustration when confronted with such a statement.

This is exactly the point that should addressed to all those complaining of being warned about hell.

I'm against all abuse so if a (ir)religious person takes their proselytising to the level of it being abusive, it is wrong, but criticising the mere act of proselytising/warning of hell, and wanting to eradicate it, shows a lack of understanding and, very likely, hypocrisy.

Back
Top Bottom