• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why are Republicans so willing to accept the big lie without evidence?

Craig234

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
It's a normal rational process for people to have some skepticism, to look for evidence, to consider the possibility someone is lying.

When a person is making a claim that is hugely self-serving, that should set off sirens of suspicion. When that person has made a practice of constant lying...

So, I see most Republicans accept trump's claim the election was stolen.

My question is, why are they so broken on the basic rational issue? Why aren't they even considering, even asking questions about evidence, even saying anything about the possibility if he's lying?

It reminds me a little of Bush's claim of WMD in Iraq - when Democrats confronted Republicans with skepticism of the claim, Republicans almost universally accepted the claim but most were at least willing to say things like 'if it turns out to be a lie, I'll stop trusting Republicans'. They didn't rule out the possibility.

But with trump, I never hear any recognition of even that he might be lying. Why is the response so blind?

I think this is an important question in understanding who a third of Americans are. One theory is that they are such authoritarian-followers that they want a 'great leader' authoritarian figure to support blindly - one who claims to hit several holes in one in a round of gold like Kim Jong-Un, or to outplay the national hockey team like Putin, or to have phony Time covers and gold championships like trump. They don't care that it's lies.

What are other explanations? Is trump a talented con man? Is the propaganda well done? I'd say no. The propaganda is below The Onion level, with absurd claims of mountains of evidence without any, of 'the pillow guy', and 'cyber ninjas' who even say they found no fraud. This isn't some unimportant issues like a lie about the inauguration crowd size, but one which threatens our democracy, you'd think a little concern about the truth is worthwhile.

One more theory: that these people have been made dysfunctional and irrational through repetition. Hitler famously argued that "big lies" and repetition were effective at fooling people. Was he THIS right? It seems plausible, and dangerous. What happens when a Republican who accepts the big lie is asked, "what if trump is lying?" There's a reasonable response - but that's not what we seem to hear.

Another idea is that these people are 'weak' in that they don't like the election results and will happily accept being told that the results weren't what the media say. It's a little like a spouse who might decide to deny their partner cheated on them despite clear evidence because they don't want to deal with the unpleasant issue.

Whatever the answer, it's a big problem not only that they fall for such an obvious lie, not only that they don't consider that the lie is obvious and from a pathological liar, but how they seem they don't even recognize that he might be lying, the blind response. I think this question about WHY they are so blindly accepting of the lie hasn't been answered and the answer is important.

It's a normal rational process for people to have some skepticism, to look for evidence, to consider the possibility someone is lying.

When a person is making a claim that is hugely self-serving, that should set off sirens of suspicion. When that person has made a practice of constant lying...

My question is, why are they so broken on the basic rational issue? Why aren't they even considering, even asking questions about evidence, even saying anything about the possibility if he's lying?

It reminds me a little of Bush's claim of WMD in Iraq - when Democrats confronted Republicans with skepticism of the claim, Republicans almost universally accepted the claim but most were at least willing to say things like 'if it turns out to be a lie, I'll stop trusting Republicans'. They didn't rule out the possibility.

But with trump, I never hear any recognition of even that he might be lying. Why is the response so blind?

I think this is an important question in understanding who a third of Americans are. One theory is that they are such authoritarian-followers that they want a 'great leader' authoritarian figure to support blindly - one who claims to hit several holes in one in a round of gold like Kim Jong-Un, or to outplay the national hockey team like Putin, or to have phony Time covers and gold championships like trump. They don't care that it's lies.

What are other explanations? Is trump a talented con man? Is the propaganda well done? I'd say no. The propaganda is below The Onion level, with absurd claims of mountains of evidence without any, of 'the pillow guy', and 'cyber ninjas' who even say they found no fraud. This isn't some unimportant issues like a lie about the inauguration crowd size, but one which threatens our democracy, you'd think a little concern about the truth is worthwhile.

One more theory: that these people have been made dysfunctional and irrational through repetition. Hitler famously argued that "big lies" and repetition were effective at fooling people. Was he THIS right? It seems plausible, and dangerous. What happens when a Republican who accepts the big lie is asked, "what if trump is lying?" There's a reasonable response - but that's not what we seem to hear.

Another idea is that these people are 'weak' in that they don't like the election results and will happily accept being told that the results weren't what the media say. It's a little like a spouse who might decide to deny their partner cheated on them despite clear evidence because they don't want to deal with the unpleasant issue.

Whatever the answer, it's a big problem not only that they fall for such an obvious lie, not only that they don't consider that the lie is obvious and from a pathological liar, but how they seem they don't even recognize that he might be lying, the blind response. I think this question about WHY they are so blindly accepting of the lie hasn't been answered and the answer is important.

That's the power of right-wing propaganda.

I don't think conservatives necessarily believe that the election was stolen; I think they believe that their country was "stolen," and they're just latching on to a myth and doing anything that they can to manufacture an explanation for it.

Can the GOP break its addiction to show biz? | The Hill

Why are Republicans so willing to accept the big lie without evidence​

Because they want it to be true, just like Democrats want it to be true that cops are racist thugs who are disproportionately murdering thousands of unarmed black men.

And yet...you make no effort to look for evidence. You simply take the word of the criminals and their propagandists who do nothing but say "There is no evidence". The fact is, there are mountains of evidence of election fraud.

So...apply that "rational process" you speak of and take your useless psychobabble and shove it.

I've asked many times, and all I get is some silly conspiracy theory that 'the elite Republicans' wanted to get rid of The Donald. Does that make sense? To intentionally give up their majority, so much control, and the WH? That's irrational.

Why, in the 2.5 months before the inauguration, the GOP, in power, with all their majority votes and resources, didnt form a commission or major official investigation to investigate the heck out of every state's elections and voting? To investigate all the challenges and claims in a coordinated official manner, using the DOJ or other judicial authority, much of which they controlled or appointed? (They could have done it after Jan 20, even now....)​
Why wouldnt the GOP have moved heaven and earth, done everything legally possible, to retain power and to maintain their hold on the Whitehouse? As if they'd prefer the Democrats for 4 yrs and have to start all over again in 2024 and lose a lot of their own personal power and conservative initiatives? Risk all that?​

Gotta love threads that posit a question based on a false premise and fundamental ignorance of both the issue in general and the people involved.

It can be quite entertaining to watch all the various "profound" responses people provide by way of answers.

🍿

Democrats claimed that Russia interfered in the 2016 election by releasing disinformation on Facebook and social media.
Democrats further claim that THAT interference swayed voters and gave Trump the election.

Democrats claim they DID NOT interfere in the 2020 election by releasing disinformation on Facebook and social media.
Democrats further claim that media's "Russian Disinfo" stories about Hunter's laptop DID NOT influence the election.

Voter Polls have shown repeatedly that voters would NOT have voted for Biden had they known the Hunter story was true.
Democrats refuse to acknowledge that they interfered with the 2020 election using disinformation.

When caught they claim, "It was worth it getting rid of the Orange Monster".

"I'd support interference again to get my way" - The Left

And yet...you make no effort to look for evidence. You simply take the word of the criminals and their propagandists who do nothing but say "There is no evidence". The fact is, there are mountains of evidence of election fraud.

So...apply that "rational process" you speak of and take your useless psychobabble and shove it.

If you think there was a great big orchestrated effort, as you've indicated elsewhere, then you should be able to name names, because it's relatively straightforward who would need to be involved for this to happen.

Yet over a year later there's nothing that can convince a judge of anything except that their time has been wasted.

Are Dems arch criminals or is the GOP perfectly incompetent?

Trump lies so much and so often about everything that his supporters now think that's a way to govern. From that they will deny any simple fact that they think hurts him and repeat any lie they think helps.

I have looked at the 2020 election audits done in Arizona. I have reviewed what has been made available to the public. I have read Logan's (Cyber Ninjas) report and supporting reports. I have also read audits done before Logan's. I have also read the report on the routers.

My conclusion is Trump lost Arizona.
There was no significant fraud in the Arizona election.

RudyG says he has proof, but won't release it yet.
Lindel says he has proof, but won't release it yet

Easy for someone to say there is "mountains of evidence". You have yet to provide links to sources of that evidence.

They want to believe the bullshit so the only thing they question is why the folks on the left don't believe them. It obviously doesn't say much for the gop that so high of a percentage still wants to believe trump is god and the election was stolen from him.

The base of the gop has been told ever since reagan, government bad, dems worse and after forty years the right has a profound hatred of the dems and are positive the government is their enemy. Disney is a gay breeding ground. Books are brainwashing our kids and math has hidden crt messages in it. We're all being injected with microchips and our microwaves spy on us. These are important national issues to the knuckle draggers in our society.

Back
Top Bottom