• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why are Republicans accused of racism? Because we’re silent on things like this.

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Tim Scott: Why are Republicans accused of racism? Because we’re silent on things like this.

EPA-Pruitt2.jpg

Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa)

1/11/19
By Sen. Tom Scott (R/SC)

Over the past two years, Republicans have focused on spreading opportunity, and it has paid dividends: From the creation of opportunity zones in some of our nation’s most distressed communities to amazing job-creation statistics and low unemployment rates, there’s no doubt that the future is brightening for many Americans. However, we are often still struggling when it comes to civility and fairness. This was driven home once again Thursday as Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) wondered aloud: “White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization — how did that language become offensive?” I will admit I am unsure who is offended by the term “Western civilization” on its own, but anyone who needs “white nationalist” or “white supremacist” defined, described and defended does lack some pretty common knowledge. Three months ago, a white supremacist killed two black people in a parking lot in Kentucky. We are only 18 months from Charlottesville, where white nationalists killed a white woman with a car and severely beat multiple black people. Almost four years ago, a white supremacist murdered nine African Americans in a church in Charleston, S.C. In 1998, white supremacists dragged James Byrd Jr., behind a pickup truck through Jasper, Tex., decapitating him in the process. These are just a sliver of the havoc that white nationalists and white supremacists have strewn across our nation for hundreds of years. Four little girls killed in a bombing in Birmingham, Ala., thousands lynched and countless hearts and minds turned cruel and hateful.

When people with opinions similar to King’s open their mouths, they damage not only the Republican Party and the conservative brand but also our nation as a whole. They want to be treated with fairness for some perceived slights but refuse to return the favor to those on the other side. Some in our party wonder why Republicans are constantly accused of racism — it is because of our silence when things like this are said. King’s comments are not conservative views but separate views that should be ridiculed at every turn possible. Conservative principles mean equal opportunity for all to succeed, regardless of what you look like or where you are from. It is maddening to see so many folks who believe this and have only good intentions in their hearts tarnished by these radical perspectives. That is why silence is no longer acceptable. We have made significant progress in our nation, and while there is still work to do, we cannot let these intolerant and hateful views hold us back.

This is not a one-off by Rep. King. He has traveled down the racist road many times. Two week ago Republicans were livid at the profanity of freshman House member Rashida Tlaib (D/MI) who said “we’re gonna impeach the motherf---er.” I hope these same Republicans have had enough of Rep. Steve King who is by no means new to the House. At a minimum, King should be officially censured.

Hmm, feels like there's more to it than just silence on Steve King. Can't quite put my finger on it, though.

Tim Scott said:
We are only 18 months from Charlottesville, where white nationalists killed a white woman with a car and severely beat multiple black people.

Hmm, feels like there's more to it than just silence on Steve King. Can't quite put my finger on it, though.

Were Republicans silent on Trumps comments? https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...ump-charlottesville-republicans-react-bigotry

And they're not silent on this King thing either. There's another thread dedicated to Ben Shapiro calling out King's comments as racist. And then there's this: https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/polit...ing-Racist-White-Supremacy-GOP-504170941.html

Every time a republican argues with a democrat and is winning because of facts, the democrat calls the republican racist. Yup as soon as I hear the word racist from a democrat, I know I have won the argument.

The word racist has been used by democrats so much, it is MEANINGLESS anymore.

Tim Scott: Why are Republicans accused of racism? Because we’re silent on things like this.

EPA-Pruitt2.jpg

Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa)

This is not a one-off by Rep. King. He has traveled down the racist road many times. Two week ago Republicans were livid at the profanity of freshman House member Rashida Tlaib (D/MI) who said “we’re gonna impeach the motherf---er.” I hope these same Republicans have had enough of Rep. Steve King who is by no means new to the House. At a minimum, King should be officially censured.
Was Tlab censured? How many Democrats admonished her display of prejudice?

Republicans should treat king's comments just like Democrats treated Tlabs.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Was Tlab censured? How many Democrats admonished her display of prejudice?

Republicans should treat king's comments just like Democrats treated Tlabs.

Equating a slightly more colorfully worded call for impeachment with... Saying that there's nothing offensive about White Nationalism...

Y'Kay.

EPA-Pruitt2.jpg

Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa)

Duh. Dems. Why don't you practice what you preach? Why don't you censor Tlaib? Hum? Why don't you censor racism against whites? Why don't you censor sexism against men? Hum?

We are ****ing this all up, and stomping on the graves of the original civil rights leaders who did not want this outcome.

Republicans are accused of racism because they at a minimum will accept the support of those who are racist, Democrats have abused the idea of dealing with racism to the point that they have developed a political agenda that pretty much requires racism to continue.

Everyone discarded the original intentions to deal with racism, or any other social fault. Turn to inclusion and education.

But modern liberalism is no more about inclusion than modern conservatism will ever be about education, and somewhere along the lines we took the idea of advancement and replaced it with political objectives.

No one talks about dealing with racism by helping those who were brought up to be racist, we only talk about them in terms of "going away" and "censure."

It is really no wonder that the social pendulum working hand in hand with the political pendulum has allowed for a platform that idiots like Steve King to capitalize on. What no one wants to talk about is Iowa has elected this lunatic 9 times, yet no one seems to be interested in dealing with the voter that seemingly does not care. No one is talking about why Iowa (let alone what to do about it) looks at Steve King as representing their values. No one is approaching them and suggesting an alternative that does not include white nationalism or prejudice. Scorn him all we want, but that ignores the underline problem as to why he is in Congress in the first place.

We are ignoring education and paying the price now, which dishonors the original intentions of civil rights movements. Invoke change through reason and education, not isolation of the populace who simply turns around and passes to their next generation the same ideology the rest of us still have to deal with.

Republicans end up becoming the home for racism, and they are not interested at all in doing something about it. That is why they will have to own this.

We are ****ing this all up, and stomping on the graves of the original civil rights leaders who did not want this outcome.

Republicans are accused of racism because they at a minimum will accept the support of those who are racist, Democrats have abused the idea of dealing with racism to the point that they have developed a political agenda that pretty much requires racism to continue.

Everyone discarded the original intentions to deal with racism, or any other social fault. Turn to inclusion and education.

But modern liberalism is no more about inclusion than modern conservatism will ever be about education, and somewhere along the lines we took the idea of advancement and replaced it with political objectives.

No one talks about dealing with racism by helping those who were brought up to be racist, we only talk about them in terms of "going away" and "censure."

It is really no wonder that the social pendulum working hand in hand with the political pendulum has allowed for a platform that idiots like Steve King to capitalize on. What no one wants to talk about is Iowa has elected this lunatic 9 times, yet no one seems to be interested in dealing with the voter that seemingly does not care. No one is talking about why Iowa (let alone what to do about it) looks at Steve King as representing their values. No one is approaching them and suggesting an alternative that does not include white nationalism or prejudice. Scorn him all we want, but that ignores the underline problem as to why he is in Congress in the first place.

We are ignoring education and paying the price now, which dishonors the original intentions of civil rights movements. Invoke change through reason and education, not isolation of the populace who simply turns around and passes to their next generation the same ideology the rest of us still have to deal with.

Republicans end up becoming the home for racism, and they are not interested at all in doing something about it. That is why they will have to own this.

Dems are racist against whites. Dems are sexist against men. Anti-fascists act like like fascists. Such BS. Tell us the truth, for once, dems. You have a 'soft reparations' agenda which you have devised and will stop at nothing to implement. MLKJR would probably be spinning in his grave if he could.

I wouldn't spend too much time pontificating on the masses of idiots that bought into Hitler's bull**** about Jews ruling over Berlin, they sold their souls long ago and are beyond rehabilitation. Instead, I'd much rather focus on the mechanisms through which Hitler and other populist authoritarians utilize to brainwash mass quantities of the population against their fellow man.

Was Tlab censured?

She is a newbie just sworn in. King is a returning House member who knows the House decorum rules.

King has no excuse at all.

EPA-Pruitt2.jpg

Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa)

Republicans are not accused of being racists. They are racists.

Some Republican House members have also called for King's censure, so its not a proposition unique to Democrats here.

King has been a House Representative since 2003. That's 15 years in the heart of government to learn about racism and inequality.

I'm baffled why the Iowa Congressional district(s) keep electing him. He's not exactly kept his racial ideology in the closet.

EPA-Pruitt2.jpg

Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa)

Is there more context to Kings remarks? I think Tim Scott is right, but it would help to know just what King was talking about.

Helping them what?

I presume he means helping them see the light, and abandoning their toxic views based on foundational lies and pseudoscience. Which is something I agree with. Trying to force people with racist views out of society and trying to disable their ability to participate in society doesn't work, unless you are willing to consider options that would violate basic civil rights in order to create your perfect society.

Last edited:
I wouldn't spend too much time pontificating on the masses of idiots that bought into Hitler's bull**** about Jews ruling over Berlin, they sold their souls long ago and are beyond rehabilitation. Instead, I'd much rather focus on the mechanisms through which Hitler and other populist authoritarians utilize to brainwash mass quantities of the population against their fellow man.

Who did they sell their souls to, Abbazorkzog? And what did they sell their souls for? King is a white nationalist and believes race is inextricably tied to culture, morals and values. I think he is more to be pitied rather than scorned, but I nonetheless believe he needs to be confronted and shown why those who believe as he does are absolutely wrong. People who think as he does to be shown that people who come from the Middle East, people who come from Central America, from Africa, from Asia can be just as red-blooded patriots as he is. But simply insulting people and trying to remove their ability to participate in society will not work, any more than shining a light on a cancerous growth will rid you of cancer. We know it is there, but it will either remain a benign lump or it will metastasize.

Equating a slightly more colorfully worded call for impeachment with... Saying that there's nothing offensive about White Nationalism...

Y'Kay.
If Calling a sitting president a mother****er is just colorful wording then question the connotation of a phrase the white nationalism is just a display of excercising intellectual curiosity.

EPA-Pruitt2.jpg

Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa)

Republicans are accused of being racist because of liberals making false accusations. The only ones who actually believe republicans are racists are stupid lib-tards who believe any and everything lib-tards in the media tell them. Just because Steve Kind says something racist doesn't make it the job of every republican out there to denounce him. Just as when democrats say something racist, stupid or what ever doesn't make it the job of every democrat out there to denounce that democrat.

If Calling a sitting president a mother****er is just colorful wording then question the connotation of a phrase the white nationalism is just a display of excercising intellectual curiosity.

Whatever you have to do to sleep at night mate, knowing you're defending a racist scumbag like King.

EPA-Pruitt2.jpg

Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa)

Sliver of the havoc. Srsly? That’s all you’ve got? I’ve been Called a nazi on here by several posters. It’s you alls catch phrase, meaning “ us liberals got nothing to fall back on but racial slurs “

I was going to reply with the "David Duke without the baggage" remark, but then I remembered that was Scalise and not King. I think it's safe to say there is a racism problem on the right.

EPA-Pruitt2.jpg

Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa)

I'm sorry to have to say this but at this point condemnations are completely meaningless. Unless they are going directly on to Fox News and saying it to the President's face, and King is even harder to get to. The words will have no effect. These people do not care. It's time to shut up or put up.

I'm baffled why the Iowa Congressional district(s) keep electing him.

MAYBE the voters keep electing him because they do NOT consider him a "racist."

MAYBE Representative King is NOT a "racist."

MAYBE he does not realize that the term "w---- n----------" has an unpleasant connotation for some people.

MAYBE he just means something like: "ALL ethnicities should be proud of themselves and NONE should be subject to demonization."

MAYBE the voters in his district agree with that definition.

MAYBE the voters keep electing him because they do NOT consider him a "racist."

MAYBE Representative King is NOT a "racist."

MAYBE he does not realize that the term "w---- n----------" has an unpleasant connotation for some people.

MAYBE he just means something like: "ALL ethnicities should be proud of themselves and NONE should be subject to demonization."

MAYBE the voters in his district agree with that definition.

Is there some reason we cant get the context in which this statement was made?

Back
Top Bottom