• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why are psychiatric drugs used despite there is no proof that they work?

My big objection is that nobody is held accountable and nobody says a word of caution when these drugs are prescribed off label in being prescribed to young persons. The drug literature clearly states they are for adults, yet parents ask doctors to prescribe them, teachers ask that they be prescribed for children. A sad situation, but it's been going on for years.

E.g. Ritalin for children with ADHD, AHDH is a fictitious disease,

I was just curious if your comments were based on your personal experience in this area or from stories you've read/heard about it...

Both.
I have worked as psychiatric nurse for years. I have never seen anyone made better, I have seen how there was more then enough money for the promotion of the clinic, but not enough money for proper food for the clients. I have seen the arrogance of psychiaters with their fancy cars and expensive clothes and for about 10 minute time for a patient. I have seen the nurses being overworked and the psychiaters not listening to them. and on an don it goes.

Recently I have helped someone out in a psychiatric clinic, and I have seen there is NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING, changed for the good in all these years ( about 20 years) The seperation of people, the druging of people. etc.

I really think psychiatric clinics are very very very inhumane.

Very interesting.

His name is Dr. Allen Frances, and he made VERY interesting statements to Gary Greenberg, author of a Wired article: “Inside the Battle to Define Mental Illness,” (Dec.27, 2010).

I know. That’s a year and a half ago. But guess what? Major media never picked up on it in any serious way. It never became a scandal. It managed to fly below the radar.

Editors and reporters at major media outlets have an uncommon nose for avoiding the sort of trouble Greenberg’s piece would have created, were it to be unleashed on the population—and although they like to call themselves journalists, that’s a myth even they don’t really believe anymore. They’re mutts on short leashes.

Dr. Allen Frances is the man who, in 1994, headed up the project to write the latest edition of the psychiatric bible, the DSM-IV. This tome defines and labels and describes every official mental disorder in the known universe. The DSM-IV eventually listed 297 of them.

In an April 19, 1994, New York Times piece, “Scientist At Work,” Daniel Goleman called Frances “Perhaps the most powerful psychiatrist in America at the moment…”

Well, sure. If you’re sculpting the entire canon of diagnosable mental disorders for your colleagues, for insurers, for the government, for pharma (who will sell the drugs matched up to the 297 DSM-IV diagnoses), you’re right up there in the pantheon.

Long after the DSM-IV had been put into print, Dr. Frances talked to Wired’s Greenberg and said the following:

There is no definition of a mental disorder. It’s bull****. I mean, you just can’t define it.”

BANG.

https://jonrappoport.wordpress.com/2012/02/27/the-liars-liar/

Neither am |.

btw I do not know in your case if we are talking about a psychiatric problem or something else.

Just to be clear , I am talking about psychiatric problems.
EXCUSE ME!!! But I have a close family member that suffers from schitzophrenia, to be specific, it's my wife. And I take great offense at your denial of legitimate psychiatric conditions like this.

EXCUSE ME!!! But I have a close family member that suffers from schitzophrenia, to be specific, it's my wife. And I take great offense at your denial of legitimate psychiatric conditions like this.

You realy don't have read all my postings,

I have nowhere written that there are no psychiatric conditions. On the contrary. Or can you show me?

I also don't reject the suffering, I have seen enough of these. Where do I deny this?

I have been a psychiatric nurse, Do you really think I have not seen the suffering?

Just get real.

What I am saying is that these so-called disorders in the DSM bible are cooked up by some screwed up psychiatrist with direct ties to the pharmaceutical companies.(read:money!!)

It is not true that the ONLY way to treat these people is by giving them drugs, with all their side effects!

There are other ways, but one needs time compassion and patience. Something a psychiatric ward misses completely! The drugs are convenient for the nurses and the staff, NOT for the patients,.

E.g. Ritalin for children with ADHD, AHDH is a fictitious disease,

There are those who believe and practice that just as there is a military solution to any and all problems, there is a chemical/drug solution to any and all problems.

Our kids are medicated from early ages. Is it any wonder kids turn to drugs so easily?

There are legitimate uses for drugs, but we greatly abuse and misuse them.

There are those who believe and practice that just as there is a military solution to any and all problems, there is a chemical/drug solution to any and all problems.

Our kids are medicated from early ages. Is it any wonder kids turn to drugs so easily?

There are legitimate uses for drugs, but we greatly abuse and misuse them.

Yes, well just today I was helping someone on a psychiatric ward, and we had a short 'converstaion' with the psychiatrist.

And wel she (the psychiatrist) was nice and polite and all that, but she really sees ONLY drugs as a solution and nothing else.
Actually very creep to see.
I aslo pointed out to her about the Zyprexa papers, and, she seem to downplay all of that.

Well, my guess is she has too, because otherwise her 'education' from thousand of dollars is suddenly worthless.(the 'education' is in reality 'indoctrination' by the pharmaceutical companies)

And the power these people have over other people, is also very very creepy.

Last edited:
Yes, well just today I was helping someone on a psychiatric ward, and we had a short 'converstaion' with the psychiatrist.

LMFAO, I don't believe you.

Because he doesn't want to.

For some of us, a simple truth is too hot to handle.

Back
Top Bottom