• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why are psychiatric drugs used despite there is no proof that they work?

Pin dÁr

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Psychiatric drugs don't work. Some say there is a 'chemiical imbalanxce" but there is really no proof of that.

The only one profiting from these drugs are the drug companies.

Mostly these drugs are used at psychiatric wards to sedate people so they are no problem for the nurses.

And how about the (side) effects? side effects is actually a eufemism. Just call it other effects, and suddenly we can see this in another light.

Anothr problem is that these drugs can even cause the symptoms they should 'cure"!

Let's just face the fact that these drugs are very very very toxic.

Last edited:
And very, very , very profitable. It's like your GMO thread. It's all about Corporatism, but people don't realize that.

And very, very , very profitable. It's like your GMO thread. It's all about Corporatism, but people don't realize that.

true.

My mother-in-law {MiL} is chemically imbalanced and has been her entire life. My Wife cares for her and monitors her drug intake.

The type drugs we are discussing are called psychotropic medications.

My mother-in-law {MiL} is chemically imbalanced and has been her entire life. My Wife cares for her and monitors her drug intake.

Ok, well first and foremost, I am not saying there are no people with problems. Not at all.Of course there are.

But there is NO PROOF for a 'chemical imbalance' is the cause of this. If there is NO PROOF then something else is going on.

I have here someone here who also has problems. and the psychiaters 'think" they can 'cure' this with their 'pills' . They can't. Hell, those psychiatrist even have no clue what is going on, but ACT as if they do. Actually they are following , unconsciously, the ways of the Pharmaceutical Companies.

well, well, well..

“There’s no biological imbalance.**When people come to me and they say, ‘I have a biological
imbalance,’ I say, ‘Show me your lab tests.’**There are no lab tests.**So what’s the biochemical
imbalance?”**—Dr. Ron Leifer, New York psychiatrist.

there is more:

“[T]here are no tests available for assessing the chemical status of a living person’s
brain.” – Elliot Valenstein, Ph.D.6**

Ok, well first and foremost, I am not saying there are no people with problems. Not at all.Of course there are.

But there is NO PROOF for a 'chemical imbalance' is the cause of this. If there is NO PROOF then something else is going on.

I have here someone here who also has problems. and the psychiaters 'think" they can 'cure' this with their 'pills' . They can't. Hell, those psychiatrist even have no clue what is going on, but ACT as if they do. Actually they are following , unconsciously, the ways of the Pharmaceutical Companies.

It's true that the doctors are obliged to the Pharm companies for a lot of profits. No doubt about it. And it's way too easy to prescribe pills to cover up the actual problem.

The trouble is, once a person is 76 years old and has been in and out of institutions and on and off many different drugs for their entire life, finding what 'seems' to work is all the average caregiver can do.

It's true that the doctors are obliged to the Pharm companies for a lot of profits. No doubt about it. And it's way too easy to prescribe pills to cover up the actual problem.

Exactly.

The trouble is, once a person is 76 years old and has been in and out of institutions and on and off many different drugs for their entire life, finding what 'seems' to work is all the average caregiver can do.

I agree, and I think the problem here is 'in and out of institutions' and ' off many different drugs'
Both very harmfull. That is if the 'institutions' are psychiatric wards. They dehumanize the patient and give them
very dangerous drugs! there are better ways.

Why can't the 'disease not be created by those drugs? I am not saying it is, but that it is a possiblity.

However, I have to be very carefull here, because I don''t want to offend you and I , of course, know nothing of this person you are talking about.

But what I do know is that there are NO psychiatric drugs that are not very dangerous.

Psychiatric drugs don't work. Some say there is a 'chemiical imbalanxce" but there is really no proof of that.

Mostly these drugs are used at psychiatric wards to sedate people so they are no problem for the nurses.

And how about the (side) effects? side effects is actually a eufemism. Just call it other effects, and suddenly we can see this in another light.

Anothr problem is that these drugs can even cause the symptoms they should 'cure"!

Hmm... drugs designed to cause changes in behavior do not work because they cause changes in behavior. It must be a conspiracy!

Hmm... drugs designed to cause changes in behavior do not work because they cause changes in behavior. It must be a conspiracy!

well, it has been shown that these drug created the problem they were designed for 'curing' it.

I am not saying these drugs doesn't do a thing. I am saying the "Chemical Imbalance" theory is bogus.

I think in reality nobody really knows what these drugs are doing. And they are very dangerous.

Because of the results! Elly Lilly e.g. has paid 40 miljard dollar to people for their side effects!

Ever read the Zyprexa papers?

It's true that the doctors are obliged to the Pharm companies for a lot of profits. No doubt about it.

After a lot of reading about the subtle ( and not so subtle) influence of the Pharmaceutic Companies,
I was flabbergasted when I heard psychiatrist using the EXACT sentences that were used by the
promotion by Pharmaceutic Companies.

E.g. a lot of the times they (staff, nurses, psychiatry) use the (false) analogy of insuline and diabetes
to break the resistance against the drugs.
They downplay the side-effect. etc.

Exactly.

I agree, and I think the problem here is 'in and out of institutions' and ' off many different drugs'
Both very harmfull. That is if the 'institutions' are psychiatric wards. They dehumanize the patient and give them
very dangerous drugs! there are better ways.

Why can't the 'disease not be created by those drugs? I am not saying it is, but that it is a possiblity.

However, I have to be very carefull here, because I don''t want to offend you and I , of course, know nothing of this person you are talking about.

But what I do know is that there are NO psychiatric drugs that are not very dangerous.

I'm not a fan of anything prescribed by doctors. Let's leave it at that.

I'm not a fan of anything prescribed by doctors. Let's leave it at that.

Neither am |.

btw I do not know in your case if we are talking about a psychiatric problem or something else.

Just to be clear , I am talking about psychiatric problems.

well, it has been shown that these drug created the problem they were designed for 'curing' it.

I am not saying these drugs doesn't do a thing. I am saying the "Chemical Imbalance" theory is bogus.

I think in reality nobody really knows what these drugs are doing. And they are very dangerous.

Because of the results! Elly Lilly e.g. has paid 40 miljard dollar to people for their side effects!

Ever read the Zyprexa papers?

Yep, time to double down. Many drugs have side effects, some quite serious especially if they cause allergic reactions or other damage, and doctors must be made fully aware of them by law.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued a warning label in 2003 for all atypical anti-psychotic drugs to include the risk of hyperglycemia. Currently, Zyprexa is still approved as safe and effective. Patients should be aware that it could be dangerous to stop taking the medication, especially abruptly, and should talk with their physicians to decide whether the benefits outweigh the risks of taking Zyprexa.

https://www.lawyersandsettlements.c...N8VGVA.0&utm_referrer=https://www.google.com/

Eli Lilly Said to Play Down Risk of Top Pill

Published: December 17, 2006
The drug maker Eli Lilly has engaged in a decade-long effort to play down the health risks of Zyprexa, its best-selling medication for schizophrenia, according to hundreds of internal Lilly documents and e-mail messages among top company managers.

Eli Lilly Said to Play Down Risk of Top Pill - New York Times

Man o man!

New York Times Pieces

Eli Lilly Said to Play Down Risk of Top Pill, December 17, 2006.
Drug Files Show Maker Promoted Unapproved Use, December 18, 2006.
Editorial, Playing Down the Risks of a Drug: Internal documents offer persuasive evidence that Eli Lilly engaged in questionable behavior to prop up its best-selling drug, December 19, 2006.
Court Orders Lawyer to Return Documents About an Eli Lilly Drug, December 20, 2006.
Disparity Emerges in Lilly Data on Schizophrenia Drug, by Alex Berenson, December 21, 2006.
Mother Wonders if Psychosis Drug Helped Kill Son, by Alex Berenson, January 4, 2007.
Lilly to Pay Up to $500 Million to Settle Claims, by Alex Berenson, January 4, 2007.
Documents Borne by Winds of Free Speech, by Tom Zeller, January 15, 2007
States Study Marketing of Lilly Pill, by Alex Berenson, January 20, 2007.
Judge Rules Drug Documents Must Be Returned to Eli Lilly, by Landon Thomas, Jr., February 14, 2007.
U.S. Wonders if Drug Data Was Accurate, by Alex Berenson, April 25, 2007.
Lilly Adds Label Warnings for Mental Drug Zyprexa, by Alex Berenson, New York Times, October 5, 2007
Lilly in Talks With US, by Alex Berenson, New York Times, January 30, 2008 (Web Version).
Lilly Considers $1 Billion Fine to Settle Case, by Alex Berenson, New York Times, January 31, 2008.
Judge to Unseal Documents on the Eli Lilly Drug Zyprexa, by Mary Williams Walsh, New York Times, September 6, 2008.
Lilly Said to Be Near $1.4 Billion U.S. Settlement on Drug, by Gardiner Harris, New York Times, January 15, 2009.

PsychRights: Alaska Case XX

No one claims the psychotropic drugs cure these people. The drugs make the people functional. In some cases that is the best thing that they can do. True, there are alarming side effects and when these people go off their meds they are very unpredictable and many shooters from mass killings are persons off their psychotropic drugs. Mixed blessings, don't ya' know?

No one claims the psychotropic drugs cure these people.

Really? I just returned from a clinic where they claimed they cure!

The drugs make the people functional.

functional???? Even been on a psychiatric ward! It is more like a chemical straight jacket!

In some cases that is the best thing that they can do.
That is true. But the sad thing is, it is in nearly ALL cases.

True, there are alarming side effects
Indeed

and when these people go off their meds they are very unpredictable and many shooters from mass killings are persons off their psychotropic drugs.

I agree! Isn't that then not saying soemthing about the dangers of these drugs?

Mixed blessings, don't ya' know?

I disagree, there are much better options. but these take time and patience. Something nurses and psychiatrist don't have,

A very good read:

51jKlOkgE3L._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Prozac, Xanax, Halcion, Haldol, Lithium. These psychiatric drugs--and dozens of other short-term "solutions"--are being prescribed by doctors across the country as a quick antidote to depression, panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and other psychiatric problems. But at what cost?

In this searing, myth-shattering exposé, psychiatrist Peter R. Breggin, M.D., breaks through the hype and false promises surrounding the "New Psychiatry" and shows how dangerous, even potentially brain-damaging, many of its drugs and treatments are. He asserts that: psychiatric drugs are spreading an epidemic of long-term brain damage; mental "illnesses" like schizophrenia, depression, and anxiety disorder have never been proven to be genetic or even physical in origin, but are under the jurisdiction of medical doctors; millions of schoolchildren, housewives, elderly people, and others are labeled with medical diagnoses and treated with authoritarian interventions, rather than being patiently listened to, understood, and helped.

Toxic Psychiatry sounds a passionate, much-needed wake-up call for everyone who plays a part, active or passive, in America's ever-increasing dependence on harmful psychiatric drugs.

No one claims the psychotropic drugs cure these people. The drugs make the people functional. In some cases that is the best thing that they can do. True, there are alarming side effects and when these people go off their meds they are very unpredictable and many shooters from mass killings are persons off their psychotropic drugs. Mixed blessings, don't ya' know?

I tend to agree with this position. For some people, those drugs have a net positive effect on their lives.

My big objection is that nobody is held accountable and nobody says a word of caution when these drugs are prescribed off label in being prescribed to young persons. The drug literature clearly states they are for adults, yet parents ask doctors to prescribe them, teachers ask that they be prescribed for children. A sad situation, but it's been going on for years.

Is this based on personal experience or is this strictly anecdotal???

Back
Top Bottom