• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why are people so pro Drag with kids?

And one more observation: It would be great to stick to the topic instead of devolving into personal comments.
Avoid personal comments on DP? I'm just pointing out the motivations I see driving many of these posts. And my comments are totally appropriate to the OP. Different perspective but legitimate none the less. To me, one of the right's themes is a consistent message of "bash the gays". The efforts are based on hate with no intention of genuine discussion. And this is one of them. I believe we should always question the motives of people who post hate.

I guess I can guess what Twin Peaks is although I've never heard of it. But I don't have to choose between what is "worse," frankly. I think both ideas are just terrible. I deeply, deeply resent the determination of this world--and parents!--to rob children of their innocence.

Having a story read to them by a drag queen does not rob them of their innocence.

It's a story and nothing more.

This is a textbook example of bigotry. Stop hating anything that is different than you are.

That is faux bullshit.

I guess I can guess what Twin Peaks is although I've never heard of it. But I don't have to choose between what is "worse," frankly. I think both ideas are just terrible. I deeply, deeply resent the determination of this world--and parents!--to rob children of their innocence.

How does drag queen storytime rob children of their innocence, exactly?

Why do you feel you or anyone should tell parents how to raise their children? Would you create laws to fine parents if they have fat kids?

Avoid personal comments on DP? I'm just pointing out the motivations I see driving many of these posts. And my comments are totally appropriate to the OP. Different perspective but legitimate none the less. To me, one of the right's themes is a consistent message of "bash the gays". The efforts are based on hate with no intention of genuine discussion. And this is one of them. I believe we should always question the motives of people who post hate.
I believe that people are entitled to respectfully express their opinions, however much I disagree with those opinions.

Question motives as you please, but this is a debate forum, meaning that contrarian views on every topic should be expected. And you're part of the problem when you overgeneralize: I myself am a conservative, which makes me, I suppose, part of the boogeyman "right," but you won't find a single post from me bashing people who are gay. I can't take seriously anybody who is unwilling or unable to see others as unique individuals and instead choose to categorize them.

Having a story read to them by a drag queen does not rob them of their innocence.

It's a story and nothing more.

This is a textbook example of bigotry. Stop hating anything that is different than you are.

That is faux bullshit.
Well my point clearly zoomed over your head. And you're dissembling when you claim that "It's a story and nothing more." That right there is the bullshit of which you speak.

Never mind how utterly ludicrous it is for you to suggest that I hate "anything that is different than am." You embarrass yourself.

Because there goal is to be sexual provacative?
Like cheerleaders?

Its voluntary, done by the parents. Why are conservatives getting angry about something the parents do?
Can you explain what you find sexual about the picture below, I don't find any inherent sexuality here.

View attachment 67441101
Oh man, her hair makes me think of cup cake frosting and now I am starving!
Edit: also, how is that different from a clown?

I believe that people are entitled to respectfully express their opinions, however much I disagree with those opinions.

Question motives as you please, but this is a debate forum, meaning that contrarian views on every topic should be expected. And you're part of the problem when you overgeneralize: I myself am a conservative, which makes me, I suppose, part of the boogeyman "right," but you won't find a single post from me bashing people who are gay. I can't take seriously anybody who is unwilling or unable to see others as unique individuals and instead choose to categorize them.
I'm all for contrarian views that are offered for honest debate. I'm raising red flags about particular efforts on DP that purposely generate lies in support of a political agenda. The OP is a good example. I see the same creeps, categories and lies all the time. Bugs the hell out of me so I post about it. If your debate activity is sincere, we have no issue. In fact, we have identical goals. So if I say something you don't like, blast me or just ignore me. Peace.

How does drag queen storytime rob children of their innocence, exactly?
I think that little kids would be wildly entertained by anybody in a costume. But what is the point of this particular costume? Costume means role, so what is the role? What is the point of the role?

I'm trying to imagine the reactions of various kids to any of the local talent. Their voices and their drag too. Some will just see another kind of clown, I guess, and others will find the performance hilarious and/or really cool, and a lot of kids are going to have questions. And it's those questions that have the potential to rob children of their innocence. Innocence isn't only about sexual knowledge; it's also about more grave matters--death, for example. You cannot expect little children to be able to process information they are too young to handle.

Why do you feel you or anyone should tell parents how to raise their children? Would you create laws to fine parents if they have fat kids?
The topic isn't childhood nutrition.

Please don't put words in my mouth.

I'm all for contrarian views that are offered for honest debate. I'm raising red flags about particular efforts on DP that purposely generate lies in support of a political agenda. The OP is a good example. I see the same creeps, categories and lies all the time. Bugs the hell out of me so I post about it. If your debate activity is sincere, we have no issue. In fact, we have identical goals. So if I say something you don't like, blast me or just ignore me. Peace.
Oh, please--"particular efforts on DP that purposely generate lies in support of a political agenda"? Thanks for the heads-up!

And once again, I'm saying that discussion of other DP members in this way is a distraction in this thread. Focus on post content rather than on personality.

What do you think is worse? A drag queen reading a kid's book to kids in a library that their parents decided to take them to, or kids at Hooters or Twin Peaks.
Both are weird and usually examples of bad parenting.

I think that little kids would be wildly entertained by anybody in a costume. But what is the point of this particular costume? Costume means role, so what is the role? What is the point of the role?

I'm trying to imagine the reactions of various kids to any of the local talent. Their voices and their drag too. Some will just see another kind of clown, I guess, and others will find the performance hilarious and/or really cool, and a lot of kids are going to have questions. And it's those questions that have the potential to rob children of their innocence. Innocence isn't only about sexual knowledge; it's also about more grave matters--death, for example. You cannot expect little children to be able to process information they are too young to handle.

This doesn't track for me at all. How does questions in this regard rob any child of their innocence? Not to mention, innocence is fairly vague, and probably has little to no set definition regarding people in a specific sense. Hell, me holding my fiancée's hand is enough to ruin a child's innocence in the eyes of some.

And secondly, the possibility of questions of some sort ruining the innocence of children, doesn't track with "drag queen story time is ruining the innocence of children". I think you're making too big of a leap there, IMO.

i can't buy this protecting innocence argument as there is no real universal definition of what that means. Parents will get all sorts of questions about sex from their kids. The parents are the judges of whether or not their kids are ready for such information. And it varies from family to family, I think this applies to their questions from drag shows.

Telling them they dress in drag for entertainment is a pretty innocent answer.

Oh, please. Trans-sexuality is inherently about sexuality.
That's not the claim - the claim was trans was about being sexually provocative.
I don't find either example "wholesome." I was a cheerleader myself, but this was obviously in a genuinely more wholesome time, and I didn't even shake my tatas. Fast-forwarding, when my daughter was 4 or 5, the little neighbor girl her age signed up for one of those junior-cheerleader camps. I was opposed but felt obligated to allow my kid to choose for herself whether this interested her. She turned scornfully to me and said, "Mommy, I will be the person people are cheering for." And I'm laughing at the idea of her prancing around the way NFL cheerleaders do in their tacky outfits--ha, the girl who always wore a t-shirt over a bathing suit.
OK, but only one of them is being targeted by the right wing, and clearly the second is far more deliberately sexually provocative than the first image. The first image is people being arguably outrageous, almost comically over the top, and rare, and the second is common as dirt with those kinds of displays routine at basketball and football games, and for which there is no attempt to limit the attendance of minors.

A dramatic reading of a kid's book by a drag queen is no more "robbing kids of their innocence" than watching Mrs Doubtfire did.

In contrast, restaurants like Twin Peaks and Hooters are pure sexualization of women and those restaurants are always full of kids, yet oddly enough, state GOP legislatures have introduced no bills to ban them. In contrast, they have introduced nearly 400 bills in just the first 3 months of this year alone targeting trans and lgbt. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-a-record-year-for-anti-lgbtq-bills-in-the-us

Point being these efforts have nothing at all to do with protecting kids. It is simply about demonizing LGBT. Moreover, this isn't the first time the GOP has engaged in this sort of demonization. During the 90s their culture war whipping post was the "gay and lesbian agenda", then after 9/11 Muslims were their target (remember the supposed "ground zero mosque"), then it was protecting traditional marriage against gay marriage, then it was fighting supposed sharia law in America (that one was particularly absurd), and now it is the trans community that is their target.

How many times are y'all going to fall for this stuff? It is a culture of cruelty.

I agree, the proportion of parents who excitedly wait to take their kids to Drag Queen Story Hour (for example) is very small.
If that's the case, then the free market should take care of getting rid of Drag Queen Story Hour. Not the government.

OK, both sides!

The problem is legislators all across the country in red states are not using the STATE to target scantily dressed straight women in restaurants that allow minors, or half time shows at college basketball games. They are targeting trans people, demonizing them, instilling hate and/or fear of them. The presumption is if you let your child view an openly trans woman reading a book at a library, you're harming your child. Well, if you take that child to a basketball game where the dancers or cheerleaders are doing explicitly sexually provocative routines, should the state assume you are harming your children and outlaw those displays, or prohibit children from attending sporting events where that's allowed. Should we target cheerleaders and college dancers on social media as 'groomers' sexualizing children? Your both sides should work both ways.

I also object to the term 'robbing them of their innocence.' A Drag Queen story hour could just as easily be seen as showing children that these people are not something to fear, and to encourage tolerance versus hate and bigotry, that being 'different' is just being different, not evil.

If that's the case, then the free market should take care of getting rid of Drag Queen Story Hour.
Aren't they usually free events at libraries? Are people actually paying money to take their kids to this shit?

Not the government.
I didn't say government needs to get rid of it. Just that parents who take their kids to such things are weirdos.

Reactions: lwf
Aren't they usually free events at libraries? Are people actually paying money to take their kids to this shit?

I didn't say government needs to get rid of it. Just that parents who take their kids to such things are weirdos.
What makes it weirder than taking your kid to any other kind of theatrical performance?

Gotta love weirdos. Subversion plays an important role in reform. And societies are kept stable and healthy by reform, not through thought police.

Back
Top Bottom