• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why are people so pro Drag with kids?

Andyh2299

National Mentor
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Why are people so pro Drag with kids? What good does it do? If anything it is bad for it often sexualizes kids. All drag display to kids need to be banned

Most of them don't care about drag itself. It's basically a misguided effort of terminally-online leftists to own the cons. Some people see it as their tribal duty to defend ridiculous things just to tweak their political opponents' noses.

I don't mind if adults, or even teenagers, go to see a drag show. Most drag shows are actually pretty tame. But people who go out of their way to take little kids there are weirdos. This is basically the blue state equivalent of child beauty pageants or purity dances, and just as creepy.

Its all about the content, not the drag for those kids. Like most other new experiences, they will mirror the emotional response of the adults in the room. This means you can have x rated, R rated, PG13 rated, or yes, G rated Drag experiences. Someone in drag reading Winnie the Pooh to some 4th graders, becomes increasingley about Winnie the Pooh, in the imaginations of those kids as time goes by and the novelty wears off.

Last edited:
Its all about the content, not the drag for those kids. Like most other new experiences, they will mirror the emotional response of the adults in the room. this means you can have x rated, R rated, PG13 rated, or yes, G rated Drag experiences. Someone in drag reading Winnie the Pooh to some 4th graders, becomes increasingley about Winnie the Pooh, in the imaginations of those kids as time goes by and the novelty wears off.
Why do you need to be specific? Why not have a normal woman?

Why do you need to be specific? Why not have a normal woman?
I am specific because that is the subject of this thread. Why not have a man with albinism , or a woman with a missing leg, or a someone with lots of tattoos, or a little person, or someone with purple hair, or a woman in a burqa. Part of a child's natural growing understanding of the broad diversity of people, is having seen and been around a broad diversity of people. There is no particular reason for any of them to be around kids, or any particular reason to exclude them. Sooo why not a person in drag?

I am specific because that is the subject of this thread. Why not have a man with albinism , or a woman with a missing leg, or a someone with lots of tattoos, or a little person, or someone with purple hair, or a woman in a burqa. Part of a child's natural growing understanding of the broad diversity of people, is having seen and been around a broad diversity of people. There is no particular reason for any of them to be around kids, or any particular reason to exclude them. Sooo why not a person in drag?
Because there goal is to be sexual provacative?

My parents did stuff like watch rocky horror picture show, tell bawdy jokes, etc when I was a kid.

I wasn’t sexualized (whatever that means) and grew up straight.

The fear is overstated and kids are pretty resilient. I was young I was vaguely aware of adult stuff but frankly was far more concerned with my toys.

Oh Andy, it does not have to be. Its just a costume. The goal changes depending on the person, the venue, the audience. If someone wants to come off as flirtatious or sexually provacative, they can do it in looking like Santa, or Batman, or Big Bird.

Why are people so pro Drag with kids? What good does it do? If anything it is bad for it often sexualizes kids. All drag display to kids need to be banned
What people? I don't know any. Not IRL or on here. Who do you know like this?

Bigotry and hatred usually stem from fear caused by ignorance. So the more informed and un-ignorant people are, particularly at a younger age, the less likely they'll become bigots who are full of fear and hatred for things they don't understand.

If the idea is that it's dishonest to portray yourself differently, then we'd have to give up all costumes, including Halloween. I don't think the kids are gonna thank you if you cancel Halloween :)

Its all about the content, not the drag for those kids. Like most other new experiences, they will mirror the emotional response of the adults in the room. This means you can have x rated, R rated, PG13 rated, or yes, G rated Drag experiences. Someone in drag reading Winnie the Pooh to some 4th graders, becomes increasingley about Winnie the Pooh, in the imaginations of those kids as time goes by and the novelty wears off.
I don't think many people realize what goes on in their local libraries. They think people go to read books, research for school, maybe have a tiny-tot story hour, but that's the max. But libraries host all sorts of events. Magicians, circus performers, live bands and concerts, and all sorts of hands-on classes and traveling art galleries, and such. If they knew the heavy focus on arts and entertainment to begin with, maybe this wouldn't have been as shocking.

This topic pops up frequently and remains as ridiculous as ever.

Don’t freak out, but ALL little boys used to wear dresses and nobody cared!​

little-boys-in-dresses.jpg

Can you even believe that such a fuss is made of boys wearing dresses and skirts? Fact is that up until the early 20th century, little boys wore dresses and gowns well into their preschool years, and often beyond.

Once upon a time, all little boys wore dresses​

In Western European countries, boys would be dressed like this until anything from 2 to 8 years old, with some boys documented wearing dresses into the late teens.

“Boys’ dresses were often made in brighter or darker colours and in plainer or stronger fabrics, and might have had chunky belts and trimmings and large metallic buttons, none of which were typical of girls’ dresses,” the V&A Museum of Childhood explains.

“Boys’ dresses were more tailored in appearance, and often had features associated only with clothing for boys, such as the opening down the front of the skirt, fashionable in the 1810s and 1820s.

Why tho?​

It’s thought that all young children – boys and girls – wore dresses to make nappy changing and toilet training easier. Some toddler gowns also had practical features, with fabric or ribbon ties sewn to them, as a kind of “lead” to keep them close and support them as they learnt to walk. Dresses were economical and practical, and had plenty of room for growing children (which pants did not!)

Boys were popped into dresses just like girls up until the late 18th century. Then, some little boys began to be dressed in pants or tight “skeleton suits” (above).

However, in the early 19th century boys were back to frocks again, this time as well as the long frocks of earlier years, they also wore shorter ones with matching bloomers. A nod to gentler days, practicality and play, perhaps?!

Bigotry and hatred usually stem from fear caused by ignorance. So the more informed and un-ignorant people are, particularly at a younger age, the less likely they'll become bigots who are full of fear and hatred for things they don't understand.
Goddamn you just described how to be "woke."

I miss the good old days when we use to scare kids about clowns. Now its the same thing. Just pointing to a different crowd that likes to dress up and act funny in front of kids.

What specifically do you feel is sexualizing kids? And what do you mean by sexualizing in this context?

Most of them don't care about drag itself. It's basically a misguided effort of terminally-online leftists to own the cons. Some people see it as their tribal duty to defend ridiculous things just to tweak their political opponents' noses.

I don't mind if adults, or even teenagers, go to see a drag show. Most drag shows are actually pretty tame. But people who go out of their way to take little kids there are weirdos. This is basically the blue state equivalent of child beauty pageants or purity dances, and just as creepy.

I'm skeptical this analysis applies to more than a tiny fraction of parents and is probably based on some anecdotal evidence that the right-wing gleefully documented on tic-toc.

I miss the good old days when we use to scare kids about clowns. Now its the same thing. Just pointing to a different crowd that likes to dress up and act funny in front of kids.

This actually reminds me if the old right-wing war on Halloween.

And that is an over generalization based on bias and very few of the overall community. Plenty of DQ's who are not being sexually provocative, or only doing so in certain situations, much like there are "regular women", as you put it, who are sexually provocative in certain situations, but not in others.

Why not go to a reading and find out for yourself?

Have you ever heard of parents taking their kids to sit on Santa's lap?

This topic pops up frequently and remains as ridiculous as ever.

Don’t freak out, but ALL little boys used to wear dresses and nobody cared!​

little-boys-in-dresses.jpg

Can you even believe that such a fuss is made of boys wearing dresses and skirts? Fact is that up until the early 20th century, little boys wore dresses and gowns well into their preschool years, and often beyond.

Once upon a time, all little boys wore dresses​

In Western European countries, boys would be dressed like this until anything from 2 to 8 years old, with some boys documented wearing dresses into the late teens.

“Boys’ dresses were often made in brighter or darker colours and in plainer or stronger fabrics, and might have had chunky belts and trimmings and large metallic buttons, none of which were typical of girls’ dresses,” the V&A Museum of Childhood explains.

“Boys’ dresses were more tailored in appearance, and often had features associated only with clothing for boys, such as the opening down the front of the skirt, fashionable in the 1810s and 1820s.

Why tho?​

It’s thought that all young children – boys and girls – wore dresses to make nappy changing and toilet training easier. Some toddler gowns also had practical features, with fabric or ribbon ties sewn to them, as a kind of “lead” to keep them close and support them as they learnt to walk. Dresses were economical and practical, and had plenty of room for growing children (which pants did not!)

Boys were popped into dresses just like girls up until the late 18th century. Then, some little boys began to be dressed in pants or tight “skeleton suits” (above).

However, in the early 19th century boys were back to frocks again, this time as well as the long frocks of earlier years, they also wore shorter ones with matching bloomers. A nod to gentler days, practicality and play, perhaps?!
Lets reverse this and remember that women weren't allowed to wear pants until recent history.

I'm skeptical this analysis applies to more than a tiny fraction of parents and is probably based on some anecdotal evidence that the right-wing gleefully documented on tic-toc.
I agree, the proportion of parents who excitedly wait to take their kids to Drag Queen Story Hour (for example) is very small.

Because they want to be.

There are a lot of things people do I don't understand, agree with, or whatever but if they are living their lives and not hurting anyone whatever. A drag show itself does not hurt anyone. Now if they are doing explicit acts, of course there is a problem but someone in drag reading a book at the library isn't that.

Back
Top Bottom