• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why are orientation changes/conversions only 1-way?

joko104

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I'm not making any pro- or anti-gay point, but why does it seem that orientation conversions are only 1-way, ie straight to gay? A person may have been married with children and a dozen opposite gender partners, and then decide/announce/realize they are gay. But I never hear of it going the other way. A gay person decides/realizes/announces they are hetero.

Do you think that is ALWAYS because they were in self denial/self realization?

Just a discussion topic, I'm not trying to make any point of it.

I have heard of people being bisexual so, in that case, I guess it is just a matter of which was done first. ;)

The gays do it more insidiously! By showing hot man on man action on our TVs and Godless internet, they are training our young men to love teh **** in ever increasing numbers!!!!11oneone (nobody is really concerned about the threat of lesbians, because they are kinda hot, unless they are ugly, and for some reason a large number of men think hot (not the ugly ones that look like men) lesbians will willingly have sex with them????)

Our small levels of conversion therapy only serve a small amount of the need that evil mass media has created in this country and it going further and further away from the morals of our (insert some idealized earlier age that never really happened, could be 1700s, 1940s, etc)!!!

Last edited:
I'm not making any pro- or anti-gay point, but why does it seem that orientation conversions are only 1-way, ie straight to gay? A person may have been married with children and a dozen opposite gender partners, and then decide/announce/realize they are gay. But I never hear of it going the other way. A gay person decides/realizes/announces they are hetero.

When it comes to sexual orientation and/transsexuality it is one way, however crossdressers are tricky because there are heterosexual men who dress in woman's clothes but that is debateable. For me, I can't convince myself to be gay, bi-sexual or bi-curious, I have a wiring that points me to heterosexuality. I'm sure it's the same with gays but its unique in transsexuals because although some are born a sex, they feel like the opposite yet target the group of who are of their born sex. There are even studies on transgender men who are psychologically female yet have lesbian tendencies. I'll look for the study if you're interested.

The gays do it more insidiously! By showing hot man on man action on our TVs and Godless internet, they are training our young men to love teh **** in ever increasing numbers!!!!11oneone (nobody is really concerned about the threat of lesbians, because they are kinda hot, unless they are ugly, and for some reason a large number of men think hot (not the ugly ones that look like men) lesbians will willingly have sex with them????)

Our small levels of conversion therapy only serve a small amount of the need that evil mass media has created in this country and it going further and further away from the morals of our (insert some idealized earlier age that never really happened, could be 1700s, 1940s, etc)!!!

The Gays LOL who says that?

You're mistaking authentic sexuality conversion (which i think never happens) with merely becoming openly gay. No one who is hetero, to my knowledge, has to hide their sexuality for years. That's why you don't hear of "conversion" to gay. For homosexuals, it's not always about denial so much as fear of persecution. My uncle for example married for 20 years with 3 kids. He was gay before, during, and after all of that.

The only thing that changed was he became able to pursue the lifestyle he always wanted, after the kids were grown up, by securing a job transfer to a more egalitarian part of the country. So thinking back to early 1980s, no state allowed marriage, adoption, protected his employment (his first boss was a huge bigot) etc. His best shot at a decent life back then was to marry a woman and suppress everything. Fortunately, i think this will become less and less common.

The reason is that straight people don't feel like they have to closet themselves and pretend to be gay. Otherwise, I'm sure there'd be a lot more gay to straight switches.

I think sexuality is a malleable thing, subject to change. I sure as hell don't know where it comes from, so how should I know where it goes to?

It happens the other way, the first guy i was ever with, he was gay, dated men strictly. In college, he was 400 miles away but we communicated. Now he has a loving wife and three little girls. No ex gay, no denial he was honest with her. He just fell in love with her. It was a but strange but he seems happy.

It's not that common, but it occurs.

I've known a few women who thought they were maybe lesbians but tried it and decided, "nope." I guess it is chalked more up to being "curious" than going gay to straight.

A great point. Everyday someone figures it out. And it’s so simple. Men were never designed for homosexual behavior. But for some reason, certain parties want homosexuality to exist.

And if there are conversions the other way around, they must never see the light of day…

A great point. Everyday someone figures it out. And it’s so simple. Men were never designed for homosexual behavior. But for some reason, certain parties want homosexuality to exist.

And if there are conversions the other way around, they must never see the light of day…

It's not that "some parties want homosexuality to exist". Homosexuality DOES exist.

It's not that "some parties want homosexuality to exist". Homosexuality DOES exist.

Thanks for correcting my comment. Homosexuality DOES EXIST!

And some want to make sure that it stays that way.

Thanks for correcting my comment. Homosexuality DOES EXIST!

And some want to make sure that it stays that way.

Oh, so you want to kill all homosexuals? That would be the only way to make it not exist.

That's one reason. Let's see how many you can get right. So far you are 1 for 1.

You know better than that.

No matter how strong your will power is, you cannot "will" homosexuality into a state of naturalness.

You're trying to create a fantasy world...

How about...who cares?

I mean....I don't mean to demean the OP, but wouldn't life be a lot better if we just treat people like people? Whether someone is homosexual or not....they are still our fellow countrymen and women....and share the common bond of being fellow human beings.

I guess I just don't get the moral outrage coming from one of the posters here...or the general moral outrage from conservatives on the subject. It's not as if they are being forced to engage in homosexual behavior.

It seems to me just another power trip by the self righteous. Remember the book of James....if you have sinned at all, you are guilty of them all.

Anyway..apologies to the OP for sidetracking.

Logic would indicate that it was never an "orientation change" in the first place. Both males and females of our species are fully capable of functioning overtly in a heterosexual manner. I mean a female can still bear children gay or straight; while a male can still inseminate a female be he gay or straight.

When a society identifies an activity as "anti-social" it tends to react with violent aversion. Members who find themselve likely to be subjected to such a response will mimic the social order so as to avert being the focus of such violent aversion.

Thus, the people who "appear" to be heterosexuals involved in marriage and family are merely homosexuals (and/or bisexuals) using camoflage to protect themselves. Now they come out eventually because they either feel protected by a more accepting society OR they feel they have the courage to finally deal with the social repercussions.

The real question is, why would YOU THINK this could be otherwise?

Isn't the answer obvious?

Heterosexuality is seen as the norm and homosexuality is seen as deviance; therefore, it's about conversion from pathology to normalcy.

No one has ever held that view that heterosexuality is abnormal. That's why it has the privileged position in all of these debates. When you're a minority or any kind you constantly have to justify your existence to the majority. Ever since the Stone Wall riots gay people, as an identity, have been fighting for the right to live their lives in peace, to not have medical intervention because nothing is wrong with them, and to have inclusion in society.

Heterosexuality is seen as the default. You're assumed to be straight until you say otherwise. Being straight is a non-issue. Being gay or bi is still an issue.

It happens the other way, the first guy i was ever with, he was gay, dated men strictly. In college, he was 400 miles away but we communicated. Now he has a loving wife and three little girls. No ex gay, no denial he was honest with her. He just fell in love with her. It was a but strange but he seems happy.

It's not that common, but it occurs.

Hmm..I'd say he was bi rather than gay. But that's just my opinion.

It happens. People who identify as gay account for about 4% of the population so that is why you are far less likely to hear about it than the other way around.

You know better than that.

No matter how strong your will power is, you cannot "will" homosexuality into a state of naturalness.

You're trying to create a fantasy world...

It exists in nature, hence it is natural. That does not mean it is good or bad, it just does.

Of course you are going off a religious definition of "natural" so you do not see it that way.

Oh, so you want to kill all homosexuals? That would be the only way to make it not exist.

That wouldn't work either. It would only remove a generation of homosexuals. New children would still be born and invariably some would be gay. Clearly opponents of homosexuality and the gay agenda need a more sophisticated strategy.

There's no sacred religious text saying heterosexuality is a sin that should be converted to homosexuality. Some prominent religious texts present homosexuality as a sin requiring repentance.

It is intuitively obvious that homosexuality is an aberration and homosexuals testify to the exacerbated existential angst-misery endemic to homosexuality (which has nothing to do with the opinions of heterosexuals regarding homosexuality). Such is not the case with heterosexuality, a normal and healthy occurrence.

Bisexuality is merely the observed symptom of mild to moderate cases of homosexuality. Severe cases of homosexuality are exemplified by no desire-based attraction-partnering to the opposite sex at all, about 1.5 - 2.0 percent of the population.

Many people don't know that homosexuality is inculcated during gestation and possesses a birth-defect etiology, instead erroneously thinking that it's a conscious choice and/or something that can be "overcome" psychologically. The vast majority of people recognize the reality that heterosexuality is a normal healthy occurrence, not a defect or other suffering-causing anomaly.

These are the four main reasons there are people recommending-attempting to convert from homosexuality to heterosexuality and why vice versa isn't an issue.

Back
Top Bottom