• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why are men so creepy when trying to meet women?

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

I have heard really strange stories from women over the years about things men do and/or say when trying to meet them. Especially online. So, about 10 years ago I decided to conduct a little experiment. I "borrowed" a photo from another (unknown to me) woman on the opposite coast from the Yahoo dating site. I created a fake Yahoo ID as a woman. I wrote a dating ad and posted it. The majority of the responses I got were so... weird and creepy... that I took the ad down in less then three weeks. Some of the comments and questions I got were simply unreal. Out of 7 responses to the ad, 5 were like this. Made me ashamed to be a man. I no longer question women when they tell me these stories.

And what the eff is up with sending unsolicited pictures of one's penis? Really? Seriously?

Why is it surprising that the creepiest men take their creepiness to the Internet?

Why is it surprising that the creepiest men take their creepiness to the Internet?
I don't think the internet is really the issue. They were creepy before the internet came along in their lives, and yet they think these... tactics, for lack of a better word... work.

I don't think the internet is really the issue. They were creepy before the internet came along in their lives, and yet they think these... tactics, for lack of a better word... work.

I should have made myself more clear.

We all know there are plenty of creepy dudes out there. It's just that most of them manifest their creepiness on the internet, rather than in real life. So it's not surprising to me that you encountered this on the Internet, because it's not exactly a representative sample size.

I should have made myself more clear.

We all know there are plenty of creepy dudes out there. It's just that most of them manifest their creepiness on the internet, rather than in real life. So it's not surprising to me that you encountered this on the Internet, because it's not exactly a representative sample size.
Internet makes it easier, sure. But, still, it seems like a pretty ineffective way to start.

Internet makes it easier, sure. But, still, it seems like a pretty ineffective way to start.

Creepers will be creepers. Especially on the Internet, where their social ineptitude will be shielded by a wall of anonymity.

Last edited:
Its not just on dating sites. I get creepy messages on facebook as well.

Can we get a definition of "creepy" behavior, along with some examples?

NM the penis pics, I don't argue that they're creepy and stupid.... besides it is against the rules.

I was always amazed when the creepy guys got gals with their creepy lines and sincere heartfelt ones got snickers. Made me think they're a lot of creepy gals for those guys.

BTW I absolutely don't get the penis pics AT ALL. It's almost stupid to the point of funny.

Last edited:
I met my wife over the internet. One of the things that attracted her to me is that I didn't do or say anything creepy (and she got a ton of creepy responses). I was concerned I was being boring and predictable. It all worked well out in the end, though. I got the girl of my dreams.

Creepers will be creepers. Especially on the Internet, where their social ineptitude will be shielded by a wall of anonymity.
Maybe I put too much stock in first impressions. Even answering a dating ad, the first communication is a first impression. Granted, creepiness will eventually come out if they hook up.

Then again, it has occurred to me that so many guys do it because it's a numbers game and it does work more than I'd like to think.

Maybe I put too much stock in first impressions. Even answering a dating ad, the first communication is a first impression. Granted, creepiness will eventually come out if they hook up.

Then again, it has occurred to me that so many guys do it because it's a numbers game and it does work more than I'd like to think.

My position remains that those guys do it because they are creepers and it's in their nature.

Hehe- I kind of figure if they were pretty normal guys, they'd be meeting women in real life, lol. :mrgreen:

I do have a close friend who met her husband on the internet, and he's a regular old joe. :)

I have heard really strange stories from women over the years about things men do and/or say when trying to meet them. Especially online. So, about 10 years ago I decided to conduct a little experiment. I "borrowed" a photo from another (unknown to me) woman on the opposite coast from the Yahoo dating site. I created a fake Yahoo ID as a woman. I wrote a dating ad and posted it. The majority of the responses I got were so... weird and creepy... that I took the ad down in less then three weeks. Some of the comments and questions I got were simply unreal. Out of 7 responses to the ad, 5 were like this. Made me ashamed to be a man. I no longer question women when they tell me these stories.

And what the eff is up with sending unsolicited pictures of one's penis? Really? Seriously?

It only has to work once.
Although I agree it's weird.

BTW I absolutely don't get the penis pics AT ALL. It's almost stupid to the point of funny.

It amazes me that some men seem to think that this is all women are interested in, but then, it makes me wonder if some women really are like that. Kinda strange to me to think that some women are that shallow. To each his own, I guess.

Hehe- I kind of figure if they were pretty normal guys, they'd be meeting women in real life, lol. :mrgreen:

I do have a close friend who met her husband on the internet, and he's a regular old joe. :)

Not that there aren't dudes who date online who aren't totally normal, but yes, most normal people should be dating in real life. Creepers can't function in real-life social settings so they do weird **** like send penis pics over the Internet.

LOL - for your sake, Ill ignore the creepiness of your actions in your effort to front that others are creepier. :D

I can out do you, though, on creepiness via men and online dating: . . .
My ex husband - eons ago - had a personal add that I found on a website for quick hookups. So I hacked in - altered it to announce him coming out of the closet - and changed the password - so then he was flooded with sleezy come-ons from guys.

LOL - for your sake, Ill ignore the creepiness of your actions in your effort to front that others are creepier. :D
Yeah, I know. :2razz: It occurred to me, but I was really curious if other guys really did do all this stuff I'd heard so much about. Wow, was I surprised. I think most women actually downplayed their experiences. :shock:

I never responded to any of them who answered the ad, but I did feel bad for the couple that seemed sincere.

I can out do you, though, on creepiness via men and online dating: . . .
My ex husband - eons ago - had a personal add that I found on a website for quick hookups. So I hacked in - altered it to announce him coming out of the closet - and changed the password - so then he was flooded with sleezy come-ons from guys.
Was his pic on the ad? :lol:

It amazes me that some men seem to think that this is all women are interested in, but then, it makes me wonder if some women really are like that. Kinda strange to me to think that some women are that shallow. To each his own, I guess.

Looking at someones ugly is not a mood changer for me. :shock: It seems completely weird though I think some women are just lonely and forgive our "creepy" come on's. I remember in my twenties in a bar chatting up a doll who said I was using every line there was and I didn't even know any lines. Guess I was just a natural at sleazy guy.

The internet is worse than a bar. If you want a decent guy you have to go where the decent guys are.

The internet is worse than a bar. If you want a decent guy you have to go where the decent guys are.

My niece met her incredible husband on match.com. Oh, and i met my husband in a 3.2 bar, when I was 16.

Nobody teaches guys how to interact with women so they have to go by experience, which is usually lacking.

Back
Top Bottom