• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why are lions social?

BrettNortje

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
I find it strange that cats are so antisocial, yet lions work as a group. canines work as a group and are very social.

Apart from domesticated cats, why are lions the only felines to work as a group?

I find it strange that cats are so antisocial, yet lions work as a group. canines work as a group and are very social.

Apart from domesticated cats, why are lions the only felines to work as a group?

I think that it's a union issue. Cheetahs are affiliated.

I dunno. Go up to one and ask them.

Lions hunt swift herding antelopes that can outrun them over all but very short distances. And they do it on open savannahs. The group hunt simply makes it more effective to catch their prey. Another Savannah hunter, the Cheetah, can outrun its prey. Tigers, Pumas and other cats hunt in areas where they can stalk effectively unseen. It is all about doing what you need to do to get lunch.

Well, firstly, domestic cats don't generally work as a group. Just, like all animals, they will adjust to their circumstances as need be. I am of the opinion, as a life-long cat owner, that cats are best kept on their own unless they were raised with the other cat in question.

Lions... well, they do and they don't.

Females do work together. But they aren't loyal to males at all, because males generally aren't very helpful for hunting.

As to why? Well, every species is different. Why are bonobos and chimps so different, despite their relatively close relation?

It makes sense, as such big cats who rely so much on endurance in a plain environment (which is less true of most other cat species, and cooperation has never been a strong point of cats as a species) to catch their pray, that they might work together out of necessity. Cats in general are not good at endurance, so in this environment, it's better for them to work together.

The environment makes it so, basically. And they still tend to be pretty picky when it comes to letting males be part of the pride, since males are less essential for hunting, and hunting is really the only reason lions work together.

Our cat has a number of feline friends she meets every evening. They meet and greet each other and then sit around doing something that looks suspiciously like gossip.

My man-cat, the half-feral bunny hunter, grooms my doggie, and she grooms him too.

You should read up on groups of feral housecats (a contradiction, I know).

Groups of females cooperate to care for the young.

Young males will often hunt together.

Only older males are really solitary......and there are exceptions to that rule.

Cats seem antisocial to us because their lives with cat owners often keep them isolated.

Back
Top Bottom