• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why Are Liberals So Rude to the Right?

I was in training, but the water wings got holes in them, the training wheels came off, and I was booted out of the program.

It was probably for the best...it was obvious your heart just wasn't in it! :mrgreen:

No, I'm pretty sure you don't hear conservatives insulting liberals and calling them names personally in public in the way the article cited by the OP describes. Yes, I think it is one sided, but I'd love to see counter examples.

Now I realize counter examples are not going to be found on DP, because such personal attacks are not allowed here. I'm talking about other examples.

Do you listen to conservative talk radio?

Hannity, Limbaugh, Savage, Beck?????

Seriously, these guys are all about inciting hysterical rage and hatred towards the opposing viewpoints.

They thrive on painting the opposition as the worst kind of societal disease and infestation imaginable.

The word "evil" is tossed around more by those dolts than baseballs and a sunny summer day.

Bring up gun control, abortion, atheism, or same-sex marriage and watch the right wingers boil themselves into a tizzy of name-calling neanderthals seeking a wounded mammoth.

Damn you moderates. Just damn you!

Well, I couldn't possibly be a moderate. I sometimes disagree with the Tea Partiers....obviously that means I couldn't be.

Well, I couldn't possibly be a moderate. I sometimes disagree with the Tea Partiers....obviously that means I couldn't be.

Chances are good you're also a "sodomite" as well huh? :mrgreen::2wave::lamo

"Canuckneck!" I like that! I don't know what CJ may think, but I suspect he'll like it, too! Badge of honor kind of thing... :mrgreen:

Good morning, humbolt. :2wave:
Morning to you. Looks like I misspelled it, because all kinds of red lights and bells went off, and I ignored them all. It's intended as a term of endearment of sorts. We could start an annual meeting of necks in Great Neck, NY.

Chances are good you're also a "sodomite" as well huh? :mrgreen::2wave::lamo

And a baby-killer.

I prefer "shrieking gay atheist." Which is hilarious since I'm not gay or an atheist.

I'm not talking about the extremes - I'm talking about the average, everyday, liberal commenter/debater. I appreciate that the extremes are, um, extreme. What I find, however, is that those who dislike a comment I make about an issue or can't find the means to counter the argument, often resort to xenophobic slurs or charges of racism and the like. Perhaps it's just me, but never when a conservative disagrees with me do they resort to personal insults.

As examples, any argument I make against Obama is almost inevitably countered with claims that I just don't like the color of his skin. If I comment about Obamacare, inevitably someone on the left will tell me to mind my own business, stay in Canada, enjoy my "free" healthcare, or some other personal slag that has nothing to do with the issue being discussed. I've come to expect it, however, since the leader of their "movement" in America, the President of the United States, hasn't the intellectual capacity or the honesty to argue the issues and he continuously resorts to demonizing those who oppose his commands. They see a fawning media cheering him on and have come to accept that demonizing the opposition is a legitimate form of debate whereas it's just lazy ignorance, in my view.

You forgot to mention that Canada makes ****ty beer.

Just kidding. You are pretty much the exception to the rule as far as "conservative" posters go around here. I enjoy reading you.

I agree the extermos will be extremos. I see them as cybor bully's. They bring out the extremo in me.

"They keep pulling me back in!" LOL!

That's fair enough; however, here and elsewhere, I've seen "liberal" European or Canadian posters being told to mind their own damn bidness when it comes to U.S. foreign policy. It certainly is a lazy way of debating; however, I simply object to the notion that it only comes from one side.

My POV is definitely influenced by other forums and platforms; I haven't been here long enough to pigeonhole my take on everything from this forum alone (not saying you are, just, yanno, saying).

You're going to get agreement from self-identified "conservatives" and static from self-identified "liberals." That's tribalism, and it's brutal on both sides. That's why I choose to eschew DP's "lean" system. I want my words and positions to stand on their own, not to be subjected to some predetermined filter before they're digested. I've self-identified here as both "liberal" and "liberatarian-left," until I was grilled about how the second wasn't possible, which I think is horse****, but whatevs.

Labels always lead people in the wrong direction.

For what it's worth, you strike me as an intelligent person and I don't care what your "lean" is, you're good in my book. Plus, I'm a huge hockey fan and I live close enough to Canada to basically make me an honorary one of your people. I can sing your national anthem. It's about the only damn song I can sing and sound OK doing it.

For what it's worth, you seem pretty okay to me too. I would say I don't pay much attention to lean either - I only ever look if I get a response to one of my comments that seems a little weird or personal. And of course I know the usual suspects here on DP who make every issue a left/right battle.

Being a sports fan - hockey and American football mainly, I too know all the words to the American and Canadian anthems - I've been to too many and watched too many games not to know the words - and I can't sing worth a damn but if I'm in attendance I always sing out proudly.

Morning to you. Looks like I misspelled it, because all kinds of red lights and bells went off, and I ignored them all. It's intended as a term of endearment of sorts. We could start an annual meeting of necks in Great Neck, NY.

I can see the Blue New Yorkers now.... :afraid: :eek: :scared: Some folks just don't understand endearment... :lamo:

It was probably for the best...it was obvious your heart just wasn't in it! :mrgreen:
The little wings never did fit right to start with. It is possible to be partisan and not be rude. It all depends on the spirit of the poster and intent. If you're out to attack a point of view, that's one thing. If you're out to mock one who holds a particular view, that's another. For some, those are inseparable, and that's too bad. The idea that one can't hold an opposing viewpoint without being evil could be a little faulty, but far be it from me to point that out to those who endorse that view. Besides, I'd rather make light hearted fun of it where possible.

It is just you. I've had my sexuality called into question (by the same people who complain when "the left" does it to them), been told I should stop sucking off the government teat, and told that I couldn't possibly be useful to society.

My condolences - that's unfair - I've always considered you a very handsome woman, in your own way :lol:

Seriously, though, it's all depends on your point of view and if you're a strong advocate for one side, the other side is bound to attack both you and your position.

For what it's worth, you seem pretty okay to me too. I would say I don't pay much attention to lean either - I only ever look if I get a response to one of my comments that seems a little weird or personal. And of course I know the usual suspects here on DP who make every issue a left/right battle.

Being a sports fan - hockey and American football mainly, I too know all the words to the American and Canadian anthems - I've been to too many and watched too many games not to know the words - and I can't sing worth a damn but if I'm in attendance I always sing out proudly.

Fun, off-topic story -- Spring Break 1997, some friends and I didn't have the money to go down south so we went across the lake to Toronto (Rochester peeps here). Great trip, lots of drinking and epic titty bars on Yonge St.

Anyway, we went to an early season Jays game and we got CHARGED UP, like almost a bottle a piece before we went to the game, just hammered. We were OBVIOUSLY American. Me and two of my friends stood up and belted out the Canadian anthem and got a standing O from the people in our section. It was awesome.

My condolences - that's unfair - I've always considered you a very handsome woman, in your own way :lol:

Seriously, though, it's all depends on your point of view and if you're a strong advocate for one side, the other side is bound to attack both you and your position.

That's basically the thrust of it (LOL), and it's a bipartisan issue. I try to avoid it, but I do fall into that trap from time to time.

the other side is bound to attack both you and your position.

And there it is.

Attack.

Rather than explain why "your position" makes more sense - 99% of people simply attack the opposing position and often times the actual person as well.

Both sides do it. Neither is beyond contempt. Which is what this thread is about.

The right is just as RUDE and the left is, only those on the right won't see it that way.
Just as those on the left don't see their actions and words as rude.

Rudeness in politics is purely dependent on your own point of reference.

I guess that's marginally better than a Cannucklehead.

Good morning Humbolt
Good morning to you! It is better. We're already expanding the realm of neckness, I see. That's a good thing. I'll just open a warm Old Milwaukee here with my tooth, and celebrate right out here next to the old Camaro in the front yard. I'll get it running one of these days when I find an engine and trasmission, and a new windshield, trunk lid, wheels, tires....radio works, if I only had a battery.....

Before I became so jaded, many suggested I was of the "Libertarian" lean. I was pretty cool with that and somewhat agreed.

But, then, the "Libertarian Right" surfaced and they were like wingnuts on steroids and since, I take offense to being called a "Libertarian." They seem to be all over the board. Who knows where the hell they stand?

Just like, before the Tea Party evolved into the cluster**** of degenerates it is today, I was excited about the idea of a party of independents standing against the status quo. But now, as we all see how they turned out to be, I'd rather be a piano player in a whorehouse than a Tea Partier.

any libertarianism you claimed to hold was exposed as bull**** in the Wisconsin/Walker union debates.

You forgot to mention that Canada makes ****ty beer.

Just kidding. You are pretty much the exception to the rule as far as "conservative" posters go around here. I enjoy reading you.

I agree the extermos will be extremos. I see them as cybor bully's. They bring out the extremo in me.

"They keep pulling me back in!" LOL!

I'm not a beer drinker - I know, unCanadian - but I've heard it said that American beer is pretty watered down in comparison - Canadian beer seems to be a pretty big seller in the northern states and American beermakers love to buy up Canadian brewers, so maybe the good stuff will filter down there. By the way, Canadian cheddar is far superior too!!!

Thanks for the kind comments, even though you're going to get me into more trouble with my conservative "brethren". And you're right - my first few weeks/months here saw me infracted regularly for meeting the "extremos" on their own turf - I've learned that was their way to shut me up because they hated what I had to say.

Have fun

I can see the Blue New Yorkers now.... :afraid: :eek: :scared: Some folks just don't understand endearment... :lamo:
Oh, those folks up there'd be alright. We'd leave most of the guns at home. Might bring along some pets, though. I bet there isn't a living New Yorker that's seen a pet armadillo that eats cigars and drinks beer. Besides, we have EBT cards.

No, I'm pretty sure you don't hear conservatives insulting liberals and calling them names personally in public in the way the article cited by the OP describes. Yes, I think it is one sided, but I'd love to see counter examples.

There are absolutely the Ann Coulters, the Michael Savages, the Sean Hannitys.

Now, in day-to-day life I spend my time almost entirely around the Left -- and not center-liberals, but the Left -- because my field is dominated by it, and the majority of my personal friends subscribe to it. I do know, from personal experience, how casual and biting the rudeness is toward anyone who disagrees with them, when they're confident that they're among like-minded friends. I hear it at parties. I see it on Facebook (such as one who made a page for "Kick a Republican in the Crotch Day"). It is, functionally and morally, no different whatsoever from a different group sitting around making racist or anti-gay slurs. It is AS arrogant, it is AS nasty, as any of that -- especially when the religious bigots get wound up. This is, no exaggeration, a daily thing. I actually consider it a career hazard.

I do not spend much time at all in groups of the opposite persuasion. But I am told by others, and I believe them, that the same happens to them. I believe it because it's human. And everyone's human.

They're rude because they are Liberals.

Always on the defensive who have justified the idiom of " the ends justifies the means ".

Their rudeness is only part of their total personality malfeasance.

Fun, off-topic story -- Spring Break 1997, some friends and I didn't have the money to go down south so we went across the lake to Toronto (Rochester peeps here). Great trip, lots of drinking and epic titty bars on Yonge St.

Anyway, we went to an early season Jays game and we got CHARGED UP, like almost a bottle a piece before we went to the game, just hammered. We were OBVIOUSLY American. Me and two of my friends stood up and belted out the Canadian anthem and got a standing O from the people in our section. It was awesome.

Any post that says anything about Canadian titty bars gets a like.

Once I lost my keys at one in Ft. Erie....seriously I did.

Back
Top Bottom