• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why are horses so special that we cannot slaughter them for food?

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

Seriously, I don't get it. :shrug:

Same with dogs, cats and other things we train our children as being "cute" and full of friendship. Just to let you know however, they are slaughtered for food and other purposes.

LOL. One of my uncle's farm turned into a zoo because the kids and grandkids kept making pets out of the livestock. He finally resorted to keeping the animals he planned to slaughter at a friend's farm to put an end to it. Most of the animals we eat are herbivores. Cats and dogs are on the carnivore side of omnivore. Maybe that has something to do with it as to them.

Humans have developed, over time, a symbiotic relationship with all of the most intelligent animals we come into contact with. Clown mentioned many, but there are also many animals, very intelligent animals, that we experience in zoos that we don't slaughter for food such as apes, elephants, etc. But horses are indeed slaughtered and served in restaurants in north america and europe and other body parts are used in the manufacture of other things - thus, the glue factory reference of old.

I know it's not unheard of in the US, and I know it's quite common in other countries, but the question regards the US where there is this visceral emotional reaction against it.

I know it's not unheard of in the US, and I know it's quite common in other countries, but the question regards the US where there is this visceral emotional reaction against it.

One words - cowboys. Not to mention they were the primary mode of transport for centuries.

Hmmm, good question. Maybe it's just that they are so useful and dependable and can develop loyalties like dogs and cats that many people feel some affection for them. You tend not to eat your loved ones...which reminds me (about to follow is heavy satire):

Why are people so special that we cannot slaughter them for food? I mean at the very least we can recycle dead bodies after we harvest them for spare parts. After all "Soylent Green is People!" Although I always wondered why they waited for the old tough and stringy ones to die off instead of harvesting the younger tender juicy ones.

(NOT) Seriously, I don't get it. :shrug:

cannibals.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm, good question. Maybe it's just that they are so useful and dependable and can develop loyalties like dogs and cats that many people feel some affection for them. You tend not to eat your loved ones...which reminds me (about to follow is heavy satire):

Why are people so special that we cannot slaughter them for food? I mean at the very least we can recycle dead bodies after we harvest them for spare parts. After all "Soylent Green is People!" Although I always wondered why they waited for the old tough and stringy ones to die off instead of harvesting the the tender juicy ones.

(NOT) Seriously, I don't get it.

cannibals.jpg

meh!

I can eat ten of those and half an hour later, I'm hungry again

If I recall, there are no horse abbatoirs in the USA, though they are exported to facilities to the north and south.

I am not interested in horse meat but I don't care if they make glue out of all of 'em.

I have lived around horses all my life. I have been bit. I have been kicked and I have been thrown. I have enjoyed many a pleasurable ride too.

But when Hobar, my neighbor's horse, kicked my 5 year old cousin in the chest, as my cousin ran to grandma on the porch, where died in her arms, I say **** horses. I hate them now.

Just how I feel. Not saying anyone else should follow suit. Just saying don't ask me to tend your horse when you go on vacation. He might be very skinny when you get back.

Why are people so special that we cannot slaughter them for food? I mean at the very least we can recycle dead bodies after we harvest them for spare parts. After all "Soylent Green is People!" Although I always wondered why they waited for the old tough and stringy ones to die off instead of harvesting the the tender juicy ones.

(NOT) Seriously, I don't get it.

cannibals.jpg

More flavour. You just need slower longer cooking.

Because they interact with us in friendly ways. That, and they exhibit higher capacity for understanding than most slaughtered animals "pigs aside".

their meat tastes like a mixture of cow and tuna,not very tasty at all.

id much rather prefer goat to horse meat.

also to point out,most countries that eat horse have rampant problems with mad cow disease,something most of the western hemisphere doesnt have to deal with but affects alot of livestock in europe.

The horse is a noble animal, with many uses other than simply as food. As a long-time partner to humanity, who has leant us his strength and speed to keep us fed and allow us to hunt our prey and escape our enemies, we owe the horse a debt of gratitude, and should not raise them simply for meat.

That is my personal opinion. Others may differ, and I don't give a ****, they're wrong.

Back
Top Bottom