• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why are ex Presidents in the spotlight doing political influence?

creativedreams

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
What changed from the voting that kicked a political personality and influence out of office to having all our ex Presidents still out and about influencing the World?

What vote? Clinton and Bush served two terms each and likely would have both won third terms if it had been legal.

What vote? Clinton and Bush served two terms each and likely would have both won third terms if it had been legal.

If you can add a poll...I messed up with too long of wording and it denied the poll....I'm too tired and going to hit the hay

What changed from the voting that kicked a political personality and influence out of office to having all our ex Presidents still out and about influencing the World?

I'm not sure I understand. Many of our former Presidents from Washington onward exercised influence after their tenure ended. Jefferson intervened on a few occasions when he felt it was necessary. John Quincy Adams went to serve in the House of Representatives, Jackson in the Senate. To some degree, there have been some who have felt it necessary to retire from public life, but many had not.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand. Many of our former Presidents from Washington onward exercised influence after their tenure ended. Jefferson intervened on a few occasions when he felt it was necessary. John Quincy Adams went to serve in the House of Representatives, Jackson in the Senate. To some degree, there have been some who have felt it necessary to retire from public life, but many had not.

Absolutely. I also believe Taft went on to be appointed to the Supreme Court. Just because one is no longer President doesn't mean one shouln't influence the political process. I believe most ex-President get involved in charity work once they are out of office, which shows how much good they get involved in after their term.

If you want to know the truth, it was Clinton who started it.

I think he's talking about retired presidents, no ones who continued to serve elsewhere.

Why would we not want them utilized? They are already experienced, well known around the world, and each effective in their own way in international affairs. As long as they follow the directives of whom ever is in the White House at the time, they are very useful tools.

Why would we not want them utilized? They are already experienced, well known around the world, and each effective in their own way in international affairs. As long as they follow the directives of whom ever is in the White House at the time, they are very useful tools.

So, would you criticize Carter and Clinton for actively undermining Bush foreign policy overseas?

So, would you criticize Carter and Clinton for actively undermining Bush foreign policy overseas?

I would. Both should have only acted in a diplomatic function if they were in sync with the White House agenda. By only making unofficial visits on their own, I suppose any citizen is free to do so, but I still feel it is unwise and ethically wrong for a former president to undermine a sitting one. That is not to say I feel that they do not have the right to openly criticize a sitting president, but in the area of foreign policy, they should never look to embarass or undermine.

I think he's talking about retired presidents, no ones who continued to serve elsewhere.

My point still stands, because I only used Jackson and Adams as more notable exceptions with regard to retirement from office. Many other Presidents had done just as he is believing never really used to happen. Presidents have never entirely faded away from public life.

Last edited:
What are you talking about? Carter was involved long before Clinton became president. He has even been outspoken against a sitting U.S. president...

I don't think he was as loud until Clinton started.

Back
Top Bottom