• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Why are Conservatives happier than Liberals?

• Because Cons are more religious

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Because Cons show more reverence for two-parent families

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Because Cons appreciate the benefit of working hard

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • All of the above

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Other: Let me explain

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

ptsdkid

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
I thought this would be a great follow-up to the prior poll that showed Conservatives are happier people than Liberals.

Religiosity is probably the biggest factor. I don't see any evidence that conservatives are more devoted to families than liberals, once you control for variables such as race and income.

I don't know if its true conservatives are "happier" then liberals.

My cousins are conservatives and they are always yelling and screaming at each other. My uncle beats them. Seriously not a pretty picture. They don't really look like the ideal family, in my opinion.

By the way, I must register my astonishment and congrats about Pstkid, who has actually started a decent thread. I think we all owe him a round of applause.

:2party:

I think conservatives put more things in their lives that are sources of deeper fulfillment like family, devotion to your spouse, relationship with something greater than themselves (god). They are probably also happier because they have direction, structure, and the capacity for tough love-all things I find strikingly absent in liberals.

aquapub said:
I think conservatives put more things in their lives that are sources of deeper fulfillment like family, devotion to your spouse, relationship with something greater than themselves (god). They are probably also happier because they have direction, structure, and the capacity for tough love-all things I find strikingly absent in liberals.

How many liberals do you actually know? Because every liberal I know that has ever been married is still married to that same spouse, whereas the conservatives I know have been divorced at least once. My husband and I are certainly devoted to each other....I don't have a relationship with any higher beings, because I'm not entirely convinced that there are any to begin with....same with my husband. But we don't need that in our life in order to be happy, there is plenty here on this earth that can provide for our contentment and happiness without having to drag imaginary sky creatures (sort of quoting kal-el there) into the mix. And that whole thing about direction, structure, and the capacity for tough love? Hogwash.

Blanket statements don't become you.

Stace said:
How many liberals do you actually know? Because every liberal I know that has ever been married is still married to that same spouse, whereas the conservatives I know have been divorced at least once. My husband and I are certainly devoted to each other....I don't have a relationship with any higher beings, because I'm not entirely convinced that there are any to begin with....same with my husband. But we don't need that in our life in order to be happy, there is plenty here on this earth that can provide for our contentment and happiness without having to drag imaginary sky creatures (sort of quoting kal-el there) into the mix. And that whole thing about direction, structure, and the capacity for tough love? Hogwash.

Blanket statements don't become you.

I am the equivalent of Alex P. Keaton. I am a black sheep Republican who has always been surrounded by liberals of every sort since birth. Nice try, but this attempt to undermine my experience with liberals (based on nothing but assumption) is definitely a bark up the wrong tree.

My points may not be flattering to you, but I am not the only one who has noticed the contrasts I listed and I am very certain about their accuracy (at least as this pertains to your average liberal).

FinnMacCool said:
I don't know if its true conservatives are "happier" then liberals.

Well that's what the poll the org poster was citing showed. I saw it on some show myself.

My cousins are conservatives and they are always yelling and screaming at each other. My uncle beats them.

Because they are conservative?

Seriously not a pretty picture. They don't really look like the ideal family, in my opinion.

And your one anecdotal story is suppose to convince us the poll cite is wrong?

Kandahar said:
Religiosity is probably the biggest factor. I don't see any evidence that conservatives are more devoted to families than liberals, once you control for variables such as race and income.

Probably more due to the fact that conservatives are more willing to seek their own success which leads to a more fulfilled life and greater wealth rather than waiting for others to do it for them.

Because they are conservative?

No. Because my Uncle is an asshole. Don't even get me started on him.

My Dad doesn't even talk to him anymore. He avoids him when ever he can. . .as do I for that matter.

And your one anecdotal story is suppose to convince us the poll cite is wrong?

No. I'm just saying that everyone has had different experiences and any type of poll or whatever will never solve the question of who is happier.

Happiness is based on perception after all.

And besides not everyone is honest. With themselves or others.

FinnMacCool said:
No. Because my Uncle is an asshole. Don't even get me started on him.

My Dad doesn't even talk to him anymore. He avoids him when ever he can. . .as do I for that matter.

And both sides of the political spectrum are populated with those as you describe.

No. I'm just saying that everyone has had different experiences and any type of poll or whatever will never solve the question of who is happier.

Sure it can. You can look at the demographics and make that determination and even look at the whys.

Happiness is based on perception after all.

Actual happiness can be based on some very ojective matters. Security, both financial and personal. Health, wealth, personal success, happiness in employment situation, family stability, the ablility to help others and a host of other measurable factors,

And besides not everyone is honest. With themselves or others.[/quote]

I can answer this question very easily....

Ignorance is bliss.

Well I don't know if I'd trust stupid studies making wide assumptions that conservatives are happier than liberals....First you'd have to define happy.

But in any case if WE are happier I think it's probably 'cause we keep winning elections. The liberals are practically frothing at the mouth with the idea that they will finally be back in the white house after the next presidential election but I suspect I'll once again be "happy" while their heads are explode with anger and frustration. Winning is definitely better and more happy inducing then losing.

talloulou said:
Well I don't know if I'd trust stupid studies making wide assumptions that conservatives are happier than liberals....First you'd have to define happy.

But in any case if WE are happier I think it's probably 'cause we keep winning elections. The liberals are practically frothing at the mouth with the idea that they will finally be back in the white house after the next presidential election but I suspect I'll once again be "happy" while their heads are explode with anger and frustration. Winning is definitely better and more happy inducing then losing.

Would you really base your happiness on the outcome of an election? I mean sure, who's in office is important and all, but I certainly wouldn't let something like that affect my overall happiness. I have many more things in my life that are a lot more important than that!

aquapub said:
I am the equivalent of Alex P. Keaton. I am a black sheep Republican who has always been surrounded by liberals of every sort since birth. Nice try, but this attempt to undermine my experience with liberals (based on nothing but assumption) is definitely a bark up the wrong tree.

My points may not be flattering to you, but I am not the only one who has noticed the contrasts I listed and I am very certain about their accuracy (at least as this pertains to your average liberal).

I did not assume anything. I asked you a simple question, and then stated my own experiences.

I could really not care less what you think, because all in all, this is all based upon perception and opinion - NOT fact. The world is simply what you make of it, and if you think that "the average liberal" is not happy, it's either because you don't look hard enough, or you don't want to see what's really there. All of those things you listed are merely your opinion on what makes someone happy....but not everyone agrees with that. We create our own happiness, and just because someone doesn't measure up to your standards, that certainly doesn't make them unhappy. And yes, that same standard applies to me as well - just because ANY of us think that someone is unhappy, that doesn't make it so, and vice versa.

Stace said:
Would you really base your happiness on the outcome of an election? I mean sure, who's in office is important and all, but I certainly wouldn't let something like that affect my overall happiness. I have many more things in my life that are a lot more important than that!

Well when president Bush was re-elected I thougt "cool." Life went on. But in my very liberal town there was outright grief, saddness, shock and then finally crazy rabid liberal anger. Sure eventually most got over it and went on with their lives but if I say something like "How 'bout that Bush, isn't he doing a great job?" While some conservatives will agree, others will mention a thing or two or three they don't like but a liberal

......well "How 'bout that Bush?" makes a liberals eyes glaze over, steam comes out their ears, their voice takes on a slighly hysterical tone, and the hair on their arms stands up so I guess there is a definite level of unhappiness there:2rofll:

FinnMacCool said:
Your accuracy is no better then her's. Both of you just base all this off your own personal experiences.

Actually, there is a great deal of evidence that conservatives submit to things greater than themselves (like God, and the law) way, way more than Democrats.

And there are hundreds of places where you can see evidence that conservatives follow principles and have an intelligible direction, while Democrats do nothing of the sort.

Take judicial nominations. Conservatives voted overwhelmingly (with no delays and certainly no filibuster) FOR Ginsburg even though they were deeply troubled by her feminist affiliations. They cared more about the democratic process. And all they want in a judge is someone who is going to stay within the bounds given to judges (jurisdictionally) by the Constitution.

Liberals care about stance on abortion, period.

One is about principle, the other is about preserving their special interest group's unchecked "rights."

And finally, yes, when debating in general about groups, we have to, at least to some extent, speak from our own experience.

Stace said:
I did not assume anything. I asked you a simple question, and then stated my own experiences.

I could really not care less what you think, because all in all, this is all based upon perception and opinion - NOT fact. The world is simply what you make of it, and if you think that "the average liberal" is not happy, it's either because you don't look hard enough, or you don't want to see what's really there. All of those things you listed are merely your opinion on what makes someone happy....but not everyone agrees with that. We create our own happiness, and just because someone doesn't measure up to your standards, that certainly doesn't make them unhappy. And yes, that same standard applies to me as well - just because ANY of us think that someone is unhappy, that doesn't make it so, and vice versa.

The evidence doesn't lie. See my post to Finn

Hoot said:

I can answer this question very easily....

Ignorance is bliss.

You beat me to the punch Hoot!

How about: "If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Wetbar: you don't seem too happy to me. :2wave:

aquapub said:
Actually, there is a great deal of evidence that conservatives submit to things greater than themselves (like God, and the law) way, way more than Democrats.

How about posting it then? :roll:

aquapub said:
And there are hundreds of places where you can see evidence that conservatives follow principles and have an intelligible direction, while Democrats do nothing of the sort.

Ditto.

aquapub said:
Take judicial nominations. Conservatives voted overwhelmingly (with no delays and certainly no filibuster) FOR Ginsburg even though they were deeply troubled by her feminist affiliations. They cared more about the democratic process. And all they want in a judge is someone who is going to stay within the bounds given to judges (jurisdictionally) by the Constitution.

Of course you know that Ginsburg was suggested to Clinton by Republican Orrin Hatch, who was the ranking member of the judiciary committee at the time.

Here's an excerpt from Hatch's autobiography on the matter:

[It] was not a surprise when the President called to talk about the appointment and what he was thinking of doing.

President Clinton indicated he was leaning toward nominating Bruce Babbitt, his Secretary of the Interior, a name that had been bouncing around in the press. Bruce, a well-known western Democrat, had been the governor of Arizona and a candidate for president in 1988. Although he had been a state attorney general back during the 1970s, he was known far more for his activities as a politician than as a jurist. Clinton asked for my reaction.

I told him that confirmation would not be easy. At least one Democrat would probably vote against Bruce, and there would be a great deal of resistance from the Republican side. I explained to the President that although he might prevail in the end, he should consider whether he wanted a tough, political battle over his first appointment to the Court.

Our conversation moved to other potential candidates. I asked whether he had considered Judge Stephen Breyer of the First Circuit Court of Appeals or Judge Ruth Bader Ginsburg of the District of Columbia Court of Appeals. President Clinton indicated he had heard Breyer’s name but had not thought about Judge Ginsberg.

I indicated I thought they would be confirmed easily. I knew them both and believed that, while liberal, they were highly honest and capable jurists and their confirmation would not embarrass the President. From my perspective, they were far better than the other likely candidates from a liberal Democrat administration.

In the end, the President did not select Secretary Babbitt. Instead, he nominated Judge Ginsburg and Judge Breyer a year later, when Harry Blackmun retired from the Court. Both were confirmed with relative ease.
http://thinkprogress.org/2005/07/01/how-clinton-treated-hatch/

aquapub said:
Liberals care about stance on abortion, period.

Here's an excerpt form the 04 Democratic platform. Of course you know that Harry Reid is pro-life, as is Bob Casey, who will be kicking Rick "Santorum #" Santorum's a** in 06.

The platform also represents a departure from the silence on cultural issues that has often characterized Democratic platforms in the past. "We honor the central place of faith in the lives of our people," it says, pledging to "strengthen the role of faith-based organizations in meeting challenges like homelessness, youth violence, and other social problems." For the first time, this platform expresses Democratic support for the Second Amendment right to possess firearms for self-protection and hunting. And while continuing the party's strong support for abortion rights, the platform pointedly reaches out to those who disagree on this or other cultural issues: "Members of our party have deeply held and differing views on some matters of conscience and faith.... We are committed to resolving our differences in a spirit of civility, hope and mutual respect."

http://www.dlc.org/ndol_ci.cfm?kaid=131&subid=192&contentid=252765

# http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=santorum

aquapub said:
The evidence doesn't lie. See my post to Finn

What evidence? Most of that is still a matter of your own opinion and what you perceive to be going on.

Stinger said:
Probably more due to the fact that conservatives are more willing to seek their own success which leads to a more fulfilled life and greater wealth rather than waiting for others to do it for them.

I don't think conservatism has anything to do with 'religiosity' or 'marriage' or whether or not there is domestic violence as I think there are as many religious liberals as non-religious liberals, liberals can do get and stay married, and I have on good authority that domestic violence has no political or socioeconomic affliliation. You cannot say that there are no virtues and no sins in either and you'll find the good, the bad, and the ugly in both.

There are differences, however, and the question is 'why are conservatives happier'? While there are exceptions to every rule of course, in general:

Conservatives see a glass as half full while liberals see it as half empty.

Conservatives look for opportunities, possibilities, improvements, excellence and want everybody to get out of their way. Instead of opportunities, Liberals are more likely to see roadblocks, obstacles, and problems and look for somebody to blame for them.

Conservatives think the most compassionate way to help the poor is to show them how to be rich. Liberals think the only compassionate way to help the poor is to take from the rich.

Conservatives want equality in encouragement and opportunity to try and appreciate great achievement and excellence. Liberals want equality of outcome and tend to think it unfair or dishonorable to anybody to get way ahead in anything.

Conservatives see national crises as problems to be solved. Liberals see national crises as monumental failures.

Conservatives tend to be optimistic and hopeful in a world full of possibilities. Liberals tend to be pessimistic and negative in a world that must be reformed and conformed.

Conservatives believe in personal responsibility and accepting the consequences of our choices. Liberals believe in group responsibility and view those who make bad choices as victims and those who benefit from the bad choices of others as oppressors.

Thus in the end the conservatives are optimistic, forward thinking, hopeful, encouraging, and appreciate and strive for excellence. At the same time they appreciate those values that have provided stability and underpinning for a well ordered society, believe there is a best way to do anything, and if it isn't broken, leave it alone. Conservatives know what they want and want the chance to go after it. Such an attitude is conducive to happiness.

Liberals tend to be angry and pessimistic, are given to a victim mentality, are resentful and suspicious of the successful, contemputuous of the opportunistic, are nonconformists when it comes to traditional values and are uncomfortable with those who hold them, and give over to government to tell them what they want and to provide it with no willingness to understand that no government can. And such an attitude is conducive to depression, anxiety, and irrational anger.

I'll duck now as the verbal missiles start coming my way. :2razz:

Last edited:
AlbqOwl said:
I don't think conservatism has anything to do with 'religiosity' or 'marriage' or whether or not there is domestic violence as I think there are as many religious liberals as non-religious liberals, liberals can do get and stay married, and I have on good authority that domestic violence has no political or socioeconomic affliliation. You cannot say that there are no virtues and no sins in either and you'll find the good, the bad, and the ugly in both.

There are differences, however, and the question is 'why are conservatives happier'? While there are exceptions to every rule of course, in general:

Conservatives see a glass as half full while liberals see it as half empty.

Conservatives look for opportunities, possibilities, improvements, excellence and want everybody to get out of their way. Instead of opportunities, Liberals are more likely to see roadblocks, obstacles, and problems and look for somebody to blame for them.

Conservatives think the most compassionate way to help the poor is to show them how to be rich. Liberals think the only compassionate way to help the poor is to take from the rich.

Conservatives want equality in encouragement and opportunity to try and appreciate great achievement and excellence. Liberals want equality of outcome and tend to think it unfair or dishonorable to anybody to get way ahead in anything.

Conservatives see national crises as problems to be solved. Liberals see national crises as monumental failures.

Conservatives tend to be optimistic and hopeful in a world full of possibilities. Liberals tend to be pessimistic and negative in a world that must be reformed and conformed.

Conservatives believe in personal responsibility and accepting the consequences of our choices. Liberals believe in group responsibility and view those who make bad choices as victims and those who benefit from the bad choices of others as oppressors.

Thus in the end the conservatives are optimistic, forward thinking, hopeful, encouraging, and appreciate and strive for excellence. At the same time they appreciate those values that have provided stability and underpinning for a well ordered society, believe there is a best way to do anything, and if it isn't broken, leave it alone. Conservatives know what they want and want the chance to go after it. Such an attitude is conducive to happiness.

Liberals tend to be angry and pessimistic, are given to a victim mentality, are resentful and suspicious of the successful, contemputuous of the opportunistic, are nonconformists when it comes to traditional values and are uncomfortable with those who hold them, and give over to government to tell them what they want and to provide it with no willingness to understand that no government can. And such an attitude is conducive to depression, anxiety, and irrational anger.

I'll duck now as the verbal missiles start coming my way. :2razz:

***Wow, you nailed it, Aqua-owl. You helped me with the job of getting one liberal a day to turn over to the Conservative side of life. In fact, I believe even stace will have to take a second look at her misguided life by accepting the fact that true happiness lies firmly in the Conservative camp. Statistics do not lie in this case. Great job Aqua. Did you major in Sociology or Psychology?

hipsterdufus said:
You beat me to the punch Hoot!

How about: "If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

I think you are living proof that ignorance is a bitter, embarrassing experience.

Back
Top Bottom