• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Why are Boston fans so Whiny?

Mikkel

Pragmatist
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Boston fans have no right to be so whiny all the time about their sports teams, Even Before the Red Sox won the world series last year.

Boo hoo, our football team keeps winning the superbowl.

Waa Waa, our basketball team wasn't the dynasty it was in the 80's.

Whimper, and our baseball team hasn't won the world series since god knows when?

Hardships my ass.

If anyone has a right to complain, it's cleveland fans. We have a basketball team that hasn't won an NBA championship since it was created, a baseball team that hasn't won the world series since 1948, and a football team that hasn't won an NFL championship since before the Super Bowl. If you combine all the years since any of our 3 sports teams have won a championship, it adds up to over 100 years.

But do you hear cleveland fans complaining? No. We hold the record for most consecutive sold out games in baseball (455), we regularly sell out Cleveland Browns Stadium, year after year, even though they suck, and we still go to all the Cavs games. Boston fans need to suck it up and realize that they aren't the victims anymore, and haven't been for a while. So quit your bellyachin' and start acting like normal sports fans.

Mikkel said:
Boston fans have no right to be so whiny all the time about their sports teams, Even Before the Red Sox won the world series last year.

Boo hoo, our football team keeps winning the superbowl.

But before three years ago, the Pats were pathetic, only once coming close to winning the Super Bowl (the Super Bowl against the Bears doesn't count because the Pats got demolished!)

Waa Waa, our basketball team wasn't the dynasty it was in the 80's.

I don't hear too many of my fellow NEw Englanders whine much about the Celtics.

Whimper, and our baseball team hasn't won the world series since god knows when?

It was 1918, 86 years.

Hardships my ass.

If anyone has a right to complain, it's cleveland fans. We have a basketball team that hasn't won an NBA championship since it was created, a baseball team that hasn't won the world series since 1948, and a football team that hasn't won an NFL championship since before the Super Bowl. If you combine all the years since any of our 3 sports teams have won a championship, it adds up to over 100 years.

Yeah, support for football was so great in Cleveland that the football team bailed from the city and there isn't even a hockey team there, a staple in any great northern sports city. Cleveland doesn't have the sports history or status that Boston has. Sure, Cleveland fans have had a rough time, but Cleveland doesn't have the sports pedigree Boston has. New Englanders love their teams, especially the Red Sox and Bruins and will continue to support them in good times and bad.

But do you hear cleveland fans complaining? No. We hold the record for most consecutive sold out games in baseball (455), we regularly sell out Cleveland Browns Stadium, year after year, even though they suck, and we still go to all the Cavs games. Boston fans need to suck it up and realize that they aren't the victims anymore, and haven't been for a while. So quit your bellyachin' and start acting like normal sports fans.

It is only the past four years or so that Boston had good baseball and football teams. For most of the past fifty years, neither the Red Sox nor the Patriots were particularly good. I remember when getting four wins was considered an accomplishment for the Pats and a .500 season was successful for the Red Sox. We did have the Celtics winning all of those titles, so we had to be satisfied with that. Even the Bruins now haven't won a Stanley Cup for more than thirty years.

"Yeah, support for football was so great in Cleveland that the football team bailed from the city and there isn't even a hockey team there, a staple in any great northern sports city. Cleveland doesn't have the sports history or status that Boston has. Sure, Cleveland fans have had a rough time, but Cleveland doesn't have the sports pedigree Boston has. New Englanders love their teams, especially the Red Sox and Bruins and will continue to support them in good times and bad."

First of all, the support for the Cleveland Browns was particularly strong throughout the years before they were sold to Baltimore. It was Art Modell, who was going broke at the time, who sold the team against the city's wishes. He is likely the most despised man in Cleveland in the past 10 years. It had absolutely nothing to do with fan support.

As for hockey? Pfft. Who needs hockey, especially if they're going to go on strike and miss whole seasons?

As for Cleveland sports history? How about this: The Cleveland Browns have won more football championships than any other team in NFL history, but haven't managed to win since they started ending seasons with the Super Bowl.

The Cleveland Indians have been a franchise since 1897, when they were still the Cleveland Spiders. They were around 4 years before the Red Sox came into existence. They became the Cleveland Indians in 1901 when the Red Sox were created.

The cavs were created in 1970, and I don't really care as much about basketball, so I'll grant you that one.

If you believe that Cleveland fans don't have the dedication that Boston fans have for their teams, I invite you to come to a Browns game sometime. Last year they had 3 victories, and still every game was sold out and all the seats were filled. The indians still consistently fill the stands with enough fans to keep the Jake busy.

Mikkel said:
First of all, the support for the Cleveland Browns was particularly strong throughout the years before they were sold to Baltimore. It was Art Modell, who was going broke at the time, who sold the team against the city's wishes. He is likely the most despised man in Cleveland in the past 10 years. It had absolutely nothing to do with fan support.

I thought Art moved the team to Baltimore, not sold it.

As for hockey? Pfft. Who needs hockey, especially if they're going to go on strike and miss whole seasons?

That sucked, no doubt. However, all top northern sports cities have NHL teams. Even Hartford had one until a few years back. The fact that Cleveland doesn't have an NHL team means that it is a second tier sports city.

As for Cleveland sports history? How about this: The Cleveland Browns have won more football championships than any other team in NFL history, but haven't managed to win since they started ending seasons with the Super Bowl.

I wasn't meaning to disparage the history of Cleveland sports. However, they are a three-sport town and in the north, that makes you a second-tier sports city. The Green Bay Packers have a great NFL history as well, but they are at best a third-tier sports town.

The Cleveland Indians have been a franchise since 1897, when they were still the Cleveland Spiders. They were around 4 years before the Red Sox came into existence. They became the Cleveland Indians in 1901 when the Red Sox were created.

The Red Sox came into existance in 1901, true. However, the Red Sox were the dominant team in the early 20th century. They would likely have won the 1904 World Series as well had the NY Giants not played chickensh$t and not played the Red Sox, who had won another AL championship that year.

The cavs were created in 1970, and I don't really care as much about basketball, so I'll grant you that one.

THe Cavs have never been a top flight basketball team, and it doesn't seem to be all that important to people I have known from Cleveland.

If you believe that Cleveland fans don't have the dedication that Boston fans have for their teams, I invite you to come to a Browns game sometime. Last year they had 3 victories, and still every game was sold out and all the seats were filled. The indians still consistently fill the stands with enough fans to keep the Jake busy.

I have been to a Browns game before (in their former existance) when the Pats paid a visit. It was one of my favorite road venues. The Dawg Pound was something else. The Pats were terrible back then, so we got crushed. As for the Indians, they are a competitive baseball team right now with a real shot at the Wildcard. It is easy to sell tickets when you can sell a realistic chance to make the playoffs to your fans in August.

Mikkel said:

pff ...Who needs football?! I wish they would strike and miss a whole season, maybe it would contribute to the whole reason Hockey had a lockout.....

As a life time Cubs, Bears, and Hawks fan, I say, get the hell over it, you don't know what pain is.:roll:

Deegan said:
As a life time Cubs, Bears, and Hawks fan, I say, get the hell over it, you don't know what pain is.:roll:

I don't feel sorry for Bears fans. You had your glory years in the mid 80s and CRUSHED my beloved Pats in their first ever trip to the Super Bowl. Who can forget a certain tub of lard named William "the Refrigerator" Perry!

ludahai said:
I don't feel sorry for Bears fans. You had your glory years in the mid 80s and CRUSHED my beloved Pats in their first ever trip to the Super Bowl. Who can forget a certain tub of lard named William "the Refrigerator" Perry!

A tub that handed you your behind, and yes, of course we still relish spanking you spoiled bostonians.;)

Deegan said:
A tub that handed you your behind, and yes, of course we still relish spanking you spoiled bostonians.;)

I, I am not a Bostonian. I am not from Beantown, I am a New Hampshirite.

Second, in the 1980s, we weren't all that spoiled. Sure, the Celtics were winning, but the Pats, Red Sox, Bruins, and Breakers (for their ONE YEAR stint in Boston) were all horrible for most of the decade. The greatest memories in Boston sports history in the 1980s were the Celtics and a certain Miracle in Miami conducted by a certain maestro named Doug Flutie!

Back
Top Bottom