• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Why Am I Pro-Life

Why am I Opposed to Abortion

• I am Christian, and the Bible forbids it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am Christian, and God is against it

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I am against killing living things

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • I am against killing humans

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • It just seems wrong

• I do not agree with current Law (please explain)

• Total voters

tecoyah

Illusionary
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
I would be interested in an honest representation of beliefs in this poll.....as I wish to understand the "Why".

My position is not there but it is I believe that life begins at conception...........

Any Mods care to add this as an option?

I believe a Human Being is created at conception

Well, I'm pro-choice so this poll doesn't really pertain to me, but I figured I would chime in anyway.

I am however against partial birth abortion and only think it should be used in extreme circumstances where the mother's life is in danger.

I put....I do not agree with current law.

As I am pro choice....I see no issue with an overturn of Roe v. Wade....as this would place the descision on state legislators. In turn one could decide on residence based on current law within a given state. I feel this might clarify the true standing of Americans to an extent....as those who do not wish to live in Texas....can simply move to NY.....heh

Sorry, I misconstrued the option "I don't agree with the current law."

I thought picking that option would be essentially saying we should overturn Roe V Wade and make abortion illegal.

Why am I against abortion? Why am I pro-life?

To me this is the easiest question imaginable, knowing what I know today. I used to be pro-choice/abortion. I was uneducated about fetal development and what the medical community had to say about it. After I did the research and got involved, it was not hard to see that my decision was based on lies, particularly from Planned Parenthood.

I allowed myself to be blinded from the truth. A truth that is really a no-brainier, a truth that is really self-evident. One need not have a religious faith to know that dismembering a human being whose heart is beating is wrong.
It shouldn't matter what size this human being is, if there is a beating heart, there is LIFE. I am however a Christian and I hold to the Christian worldview that says that ALL LIFE IS PRECIOUS. After reading scriptures and doing deductive Bible studies on this issue the facts support that God would not condone abortion. And as a child of God, I cant condone it either.
I msut add though that I work side by side with many people in the struggle to overturn the abortion laws, who are from different faiths. Many of these people are atheists. It doesn't take a religion to see that child dismemberment is wrong.

If you are blessed to have birthed children, you know what a miracle the whole birth process is. From conception to the delivery each day is a miracle in itself. To feel the child moving in your body is unbelievable and no man despite what they say can understand this feeling. I thank God I was born a woman and was able to go through this. (I am not saying it makes one a better mother or that parents who have not gone through the birth process this way are any less parents. They have their own feeling that I can't understand about the adoption process.) The feeling that there is a life force inside your body, growing is unreal. And for most woman this lifeforce is something you want to protect and nurture. When I hear posters on here, say the child that I remember feeling is nothing more than a clump of cells is just insane. The child I felt... that kicked and nudged me for months. The child I carried and watched sucking thumbs and moving during the sonogram was incredible.

I can't believe in my heart that any person male of female that knows about fetal development, that has had children of their own..........that has any moral base at all, would condone abortion. And for me there are no acceptable execuses to dismember a human being alive just because he/she is tiny.

So for most people January 22, 1973 means nothing. If you are like me and have been working in the pro-life battle for years this date means a lot. That is date is one that has become synonymous with death.
On this date seven men imposed their morality on this nation. They assured this country that abortion would only be used for the "hard" cases - for rape, incest and the life of the mother. But those who were pro-life knew and predicted that once abortion were legalized it would be a back up for birth control. And today it is. Nearly 50% of all abortions performed are on woman for their second, third and fourth abortion. Less that 1% are done on woman of rape , incest or health. Abortion today is not for the hard cases, its become a routine method of birth control.

This country is everything but pro-life. That is why we need strong people who will stand up for the innocent. To stand up against the lies that began on January 22, 1973.

Those who say "I am against abortion"......."but I am pro-choice".......better really look into the issue and into their hearts.

In terms of moral impact, there is NO significant moral difference between people who are in favor of abortion and people who don’t like it personally but believe it should be legal.

doughgirl said:
Why am I against abortion? Why am I pro-life?

To me this is the easiest question imaginable, knowing what I know today. I used to be pro-choice/abortion. I was uneducated about fetal development and what the medical community had to say about it. After I did the research and got involved, it was not hard to see that my decision was based on lies, particularly from Planned Parenthood.

I allowed myself to be blinded from the truth. A truth that is really a no-brainier, a truth that is really self-evident. One need not have a religious faith to know that dismembering a human being whose heart is beating is wrong.
It shouldn't matter what size this human being is, if there is a beating heart, there is LIFE. I am however a Christian and I hold to the Christian worldview that says that ALL LIFE IS PRECIOUS. After reading scriptures and doing deductive Bible studies on this issue the facts support that God would not condone abortion. And as a child of God, I cant condone it either.
I msut add though that I work side by side with many people in the struggle to overturn the abortion laws, who are from different faiths. Many of these people are atheists. It doesn't take a religion to see that child dismemberment is wrong.

If you are blessed to have birthed children, you know what a miracle the whole birth process is. From conception to the delivery each day is a miracle in itself. To feel the child moving in your body is unbelievable and no man despite what they say can understand this feeling. I thank God I was born a woman and was able to go through this. (I am not saying it makes one a better mother or that parents who have not gone through the birth process this way are any less parents. They have their own feeling that I can't understand about the adoption process.) The feeling that there is a life force inside your body, growing is unreal. And for most woman this lifeforce is something you want to protect and nurture. When I hear posters on here, say the child that I remember feeling is nothing more than a clump of cells is just insane. The child I felt... that kicked and nudged me for months. The child I carried and watched sucking thumbs and moving during the sonogram was incredible.

I can't believe in my heart that any person male of female that knows about fetal development, that has had children of their own..........that has any moral base at all, would condone abortion. And for me there are no acceptable execuses to dismember a human being alive just because he/she is tiny.

So for most people January 22, 1973 means nothing. If you are like me and have been working in the pro-life battle for years this date means a lot. That is date is one that has become synonymous with death.
On this date seven men imposed their morality on this nation. They assured this country that abortion would only be used for the "hard" cases - for rape, incest and the life of the mother. But those who were pro-life knew and predicted that once abortion were legalized it would be a back up for birth control. And today it is. Nearly 50% of all abortions performed are on woman for their second, third and fourth abortion. Less that 1% are done on woman of rape , incest or health. Abortion today is not for the hard cases, its become a routine method of birth control.

This country is everything but pro-life. That is why we need strong people who will stand up for the innocent. To stand up against the lies that began on January 22, 1973.

Those who say "I am against abortion"......."but I am pro-choice".......better really look into the issue and into their hearts.

In terms of moral impact, there is NO significant moral difference between people who are in favor of abortion and people who don’t like it personally but believe it should be legal.

well....you could have just used the poll....you know, answered the question as asked....but hey.....whatever turns the crank

I should add a "Im a freakin' fundy and my meds have worn off" option

Navy Pride said:
My position is not there but it is I believe that life begins at conception...........

Well, you are partially right here. The potential for life begins at conception. However, at this stage it isn't even a fetus yet, it is but an embryo:1. An organism in its early stages of development, especially before it has reached a distinctively recognizable form.
2.An organism at any time before full development, birth, or hatching.

3.The fertilized egg of a vertebrate animal following cleavage.
4.In humans, the prefetal product of conception from implantation through the eighth week of development.
5.Botany. The minute, rudimentary plant contained within a seed or an archegonium.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=embryo

Where in this definition, do you see the word baby?

tecoyah said:
well....you could have just used the poll....you know, answered the question as asked....but hey.....whatever turns the crank

I should add a "Im a freakin' fundy and my meds have worn off"
option

/me takes the microphone away from Doughgirl and motions to security......

Originally posted by doughgirl
After reading scriptures and doing deductive Bible studies on this issue the facts support that God would not condone abortion.

Why not? He ripped open thousands of pregnant women, and singlehandedly, dashed their infants to pieces.:lol: But on a more serious note, since there's no real proof for or against your sky man, why should we value his opinion on abortion? It's a bit like valuing a kid with an ant farm's opinion. It's not logical. So, I'd say until your man in the sky shows his grill to us, I wouldn't put too much stock in a book written and assembled by man.

kal-el said:
Well, you are partially right here. The potential for life begins at conception. However, at this stage it isn't even a fetus yet, it is but an embryo:1. An organism in its early stages of development, especially before it has reached a distinctively recognizable form.
2.An organism at any time before full development, birth, or hatching.

3.The fertilized egg of a vertebrate animal following cleavage.
4.In humans, the prefetal product of conception from implantation through the eighth week of development.
5.Botany. The minute, rudimentary plant contained within a seed or an archegonium.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=embryo

Where in this definition, do you see the word baby?

That is your opinion and you know what they are like......There are a lot of people that believe life begins at conception would disagree with you......

kal-el said:
Why not? He ripped open thousands of pregnant women, and singlehandedly, dashed their infants to pieces.:lol: But on a more serious note, since there's no real proof for or against your sky man, why should we value his opinion on abortion? It's a bit like valuing a kid with an ant farm's opinion. It's not logical. So, I'd say until your man in the sky shows his grill to us, I wouldn't put too much stock in a book written and assembled by man.

Now for you people that wanted to know if someone could be pro choice and pro abortion I give you kal-el..

Navy Pride said:
That is your opinion and you know what they are like......There are a lot of people that believe life begins at conception would disagree with you......

Yes, but that is an informed opinion. You are correct, some will say life begins at conception, sure arguably it does at some point. But I'd say in the early stages, it's nothing more than a clump of cells.

Navy Pride said:
Now for you people that wanted to know if someone could be pro choice and pro abortion I give you kal-el..

How did you come to this rather asinine statement. I hope it's not from saying that the god of the bible dashed babies into pieces, because if you came up with this from that, you look really stupid.

Navy Pride said:

How exactly was that kal-el's opinion, when he posted the definitions from the dictionary? I don't think kal-el has written any dictionaries lately :lol:

Live begins at conception. To state otherwise is asinine.

It's a human embryo. To state otherwise is asinine.

Abortion is a violent act against a human embryo/fetus/whateveryoufavoriteeuphemismindenialis. To state otherwise is asinine.

Humans do not posess any right to destroy other humans without cause. Self-defense in the presence of mortal threat is one acceptable cause, executing a convict as an official act as punishment deemed suitable for a heinous act of murder is another. Personal convenience is not a valid reason for initiating an act of violence.

Thus people do not possess the freedom to destroy unborn human embryo/fetus/whateveryoufavoriteeuphemismindenialises.

None of the poll options cover this.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
Live begins at conception. To state otherwise is asinine.

Abortion is a violent act against a human embryo/fetus/whateveryoufavoriteeuphemismindenialis. To state otherwise is asinine.

Humans do not posess any right to destroy other humans without cause. Self-defense in the presence of mortal threat is one acceptable cause, executing a convict as an official act as punishment deemed suitable for a heinous act of murder is another. Personal convenience is not a valid reason for initiating an act of violence.

Thus people do not possess the freedom to destroy unborn human embryo/fetus/whateveryoufavoriteeuphemismindenialises.

None of the poll options cover this.

This is a rather swift dismissal of several valid arguments on the pro-choice side that I feel deserve a little more consideration than being simply deemed "asinine".

On what basis, then, do you say that [read: sentient] life begins at conception? If you cannot prove this premise, than your entire argument falls apart as abortion would not be the destruction of a sentient being, it would simply be the destruction of non-sentient life or something that is not alive at all.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
Live begins at conception. To state otherwise is asinine.{/QUOTE]

Really? If your heart isn't beating, most people wouldn't consider you to be alive. Heck, if you didn't have a heart at all (because it's not like an embryo just magically has a heart, it has to develop), you wouldn't be considered alive. A fetus' heart does not begin beating until 5 weeks. Therefore, "life" cannot begin at conception.

I'm actually not going to argue that one, because it certainly isn't a chicken embryo, even if there is a yolk sac :2razz:

Well, that's your opinion, and not everyone shares it. But don't worry, they think you're asinine as well.

Well, see, the problem with that is....it's not always a matter of convenience, as you put it. But all of that is neither here nor there.

Well, unfortunately for you, as it stands now, the Supreme Court disagrees with that.

Isn't there some saying about whatever man creates, so too shall he destroy? Not sure of the exact wording there....anyway, embryos have to be created, and as the mother and father are the ones who created it, they have the right to destroy it.

Another way to look at it would be the fact that the embryo/fetus/what have you is a part of the mother's body, and in essence is an extension of herself while it is in the womb, as it is dependent upon her (up until approximately the last trimester) for survival and development. Now, I don't think there are too many people that would argue that a woman has a right to do whatever she likes to her own body under normal circumstances, right? Even if your personal or religious beliefs say otherwise, you cannot deny that she has that right. Therefore, she is essentially self-mutilating by having an abortion performed.

Just another way of looking at it, something to chew on.

Scarcrows comment........"Abortion is a violent act against a human embryo/fetus/whateveryoufavoriteeuphemismindenialis. To state otherwise is asinine."

Stace comments on the above...."Well, that's your opinion, and not everyone shares it. But don't worry, they think you're asinine as well."

Scarcrow.........may I add a few words to asinine.... idiotic, cold, moral-less, barbaric, lunatic....

These words describe pro-choicers. What we can't get through are heads Scarcrow is the fact that they do not feel anything. They feel nothing towards the unborn in the womb. This life means nothing to them. They joke about its demise, they laugh. We can't believe people would be that cold, BUT THEY ARE....just read their posts.

Stace all but said it.........."who cares."

Stace said, "Another way to look at it would be the fact that the embryo/fetus/what have you is a part of the mother's body, and in essence is an extension of herself while it is in the womb, as it is dependent upon her (up until approximately the last trimester) for survival and development."

You have no clue whatsoever. None. Zilch.

Ever hear of Louise Brown? Test tube baby? Where was she created? Other than the mother giving her egg...........what else did Louises mother contribute towards her creation besides a place to grow? The fetus is NOT a part of the pregnant womans body, like her tonsils, appendix etc...A body part is defined by the common genetic code it shares with the rest of its body; the unborns genetic code differs from his mothers. The unborn child has its own genetic code. That code is totally different from the mothers as is his fingerprints.

"Once fertilization takes place the zygote is its own entity. It is genetically distinct from the mother. It possesses all the necessary information for a self-directed development and will proceed to grow in the usual human fashion, given time and nourishment. It is simply untrue that the unborn child is merely part of the womans body. In addition to being genetically distinct from the time of conception, the unborn possesses separate circulatory, nervous and endocrine systems." (" Brain Dead Woman Gives Birth ," Oregonian, 31 July 1987.)

Stace if you implanted a Chinese zygote in an American woman what would it be born as? It would remain Chinese, not because of the body in which it resides but because of its genetic code. The child is a temporary resident of the mother-host.

Have you ever heard of woman that are fatally injured and the doctors have delivered normal healthy children? The mothers body dies and yet the child lives. If the baby was a part of the womans body he also would have died. Children have even been born several months after their mothers were declared brain dead. Obviously they were two distinct people and not one.

That is all there is to it. The unborn child takes an active role in HIS OWN development, controlling the course of pregnancy and the TIME OF BIRTH.
A child however is not a part of the body in which she is carried.

Being inside something is NOT the same as being part of something. You are discriminating against the unborn child simply because of his place of residence, the womb.

Did you know that in July 2000 the U.S. House of Representatives unanimously passed a bill making it illegal to execute a pregnant woman.

If what you say is true then explain this? Why?

The logical reason of course...is that a preborn child is an individual person, distinct from its mother and with his own special right to life. That hundreds of pro-abortion representatives could all agree to this bill demonstrates a profound failure on their part to be morally consistent.

Ok pro-choicers.............respond to this scenario.

Two woman become pregnant on the same day. Six months later Woman A has a premature baby, small but healthy. Woman B is still pregnant. One week later both woman decide they don't want their babies anymore. Why would woman B be allowed to kill her baby and Woman A not be allowed to kill hers? Since there is no difference in the nature or development of the two babies, why would Woman B's action be exercising a legitimate right to choose, while Woman A's action would be a heinous crime subjecting her to prosecution for first degree murder?

Is it rational to recognize the one child as a baby and pretend the other one isnt?

doughgirl said:
Scarcrows comment........"Abortion is a violent act against a human embryo/fetus/whateveryoufavoriteeuphemismindenialis. To state otherwise is asinine."

Stace comments on the above...."Well, that's your opinion, and not everyone shares it. But don't worry, they think you're asinine as well."

Scarcrow.........may I add a few words to asinine.... idiotic, cold, moral-less, barbaric, lunatic....

These words describe pro-choicers. What we can't get through are heads Scarcrow is the fact that they do not feel anything. They feel nothing towards the unborn in the womb. This life means nothing to them. They joke about its demise, they laugh. We can't believe people would be that cold, BUT THEY ARE....just read their posts.

Stace all but said it.........."who cares."

Stace said, "Another way to look at it would be the fact that the embryo/fetus/what have you is a part of the mother's body, and in essence is an extension of herself while it is in the womb, as it is dependent upon her (up until approximately the last trimester) for survival and development."

You have no clue whatsoever. None. Zilch.

Ever hear of Louise Brown? Test tube baby? Where was she created? Other than the mother giving her egg...........what else did Louises mother contribute towards her creation besides a place to grow? The fetus is NOT a part of the pregnant womans body, like her tonsils, appendix etc...A body part is defined by the common genetic code it shares with the rest of its body; the unborns genetic code differs from his mothers. The unborn child has its own genetic code. That code is totally different from the mothers as is his fingerprints.

"Once fertilization takes place the zygote is its own entity. It is genetically distinct from the mother. It possesses all the necessary information for a self-directed development and will proceed to grow in the usual human fashion, given time and nourishment. It is simply untrue that the unborn child is merely part of the womans body. In addition to being genetically distinct from the time of conception, the unborn possesses separate circulatory, nervous and endocrine systems." (" Brain Dead Woman Gives Birth ," Oregonian, 31 July 1987.)

Stace if you implanted a Chinese zygote in an American woman what would it be born as? It would remain Chinese, not because of the body in which it resides but because of its genetic code. The child is a temporary resident of the mother-host.

Have you ever heard of woman that are fatally injured and the doctors have delivered normal healthy children? The mothers body dies and yet the child lives. If the baby was a part of the womans body he also would have died. Children have even been born several months after their mothers were declared brain dead. Obviously they were two distinct people and not one.

That is all there is to it. The unborn child takes an active role in HIS OWN development, controlling the course of pregnancy and the TIME OF BIRTH.
A child however is not a part of the body in which she is carried.

Being inside something is NOT the same as being part of something. You are discriminating against the unborn child simply because of his place of residence, the womb.

Did you know that in July 2000 the U.S. House of Representatives unanimously passed a bill making it illegal to execute a pregnant woman.

If what you say is true then explain this? Why?

The logical reason of course...is that a preborn child is an individual person, distinct from its mother and with his own special right to life. That hundreds of pro-abortion representatives could all agree to this bill demonstrates a profound failure on their part to be morally consistent.

Is this kind of post supposed to teach me something? I am pro-choice, and when I read angry and nasty statements like you have written, it is a total turn-off to me, and I won't even read the entire post. doughgirl, if you want to educate people the way you were educated, write in an educational manner. People will want to read thorugh your post and you may make some reconsider their position on this. The lecturing and the condescension ain't gonna work. In fact, it probably will cause people to only confirm their beliefs about pro-lifers.

doughgirl said:
Ok pro-choicers.............respond to this scenario.

Ok skippy.

Two woman become pregnant on the same day. Six months later Woman A has a premature baby, small but healthy. Woman B is still pregnant. One week later both woman decide they don't want their babies anymore. Why would woman B be allowed to kill her baby and Woman A not be allowed to kill hers? Since there is no difference in the nature or development of the two babies, why would Woman B's action be exercising a legitimate right to choose, while Woman A's action would be a heinous crime subjecting her to prosecution for first degree murder?

Because woman A already gave birth, hence it is a human. I would say woman B shouldn't abort cause obviously she's way too far along, and the fetus has already developed human traits, i.e. teeth laid down, digestive system operates, vocal chords, etc.

Pro-choice is all about choice, it doesn't necessarily matter what the choice is, ok? First degree murder would be alot different than simply aborting a fetus, as it isn't developed, it's a vegetable.

Is it rational to recognize the one child as a baby and pretend the other one isnt?

Blatant dishonesty. It's not a baby, it's a fetus: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=fetus Unless you see the word "baby" in that defintion, please cease from being so dishonest, thanks

Last edited:
People that are pro abortion have to tell theirselves that the baby in the womb is nothing but a clump of cells............If they ever thought about it at length and realized that they are actually killing an innocent defenseless human being the horror they would feel......Pro abortion people are not bad people...They are just wrong when it comes to when life begins........

I have said it before and will say it again.........Needless abortion is the most barbaric act one human being can perpetrate on another..............

May God bless the 40,000,000 innocent defenseless babies that have been killed in the womb since Roe V Wade was enacted in 1972.........

Navy Pride said:
People that are pro abortion have to tell theirselves that the baby in the womb is nothing but a clump of cells.

Uhh, I'm not pro-abortion, I'm pro=choice. And I don't have to tell myself anything, as there is no "baby" in the womb, and it is just a clump of cells. Boy, you pro-lifer's sure let this dishonesty go to your head.:lol:

...........If they ever thought about it at length and realized that they are actually killing an innocent defenseless human being

It's not a human being Stop being dishonest.

the horror they would feel......Pro abortion people are not bad people...They are just wrong when it comes to when life begins........

Well, if pro-abortion people are "wrong" as you so aptly put it, I'm sure you won't mind posting actual scientific facts about when life begins, Einstein?

I have said it before and will say it again.........Needless abortion is the most barbaric act one human being can perpetrate on another..............

Abortion does not meet the moral or even legal defintion of murder:
http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/L-abortion.htm

May God bless the 40,000,000 innocent defenseless babies that have been killed in the womb since Roe V Wade was enacted in 1972.........

You're being less than honest here. First, make it known that there is a god, or else please stop lying.

Back
Top Bottom