• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why all the hate directed at Glenn Beck?

Obviously those decisions were wrong, and horrible. But it's not hard to fathom that those decisions were made during their time.

Perhaps Beck sees Wilson's racism -- and it was rather virulent even for his day -- the same way. Wilson's racism was of a piece with the KKK. I can't imagine a condemnation of the KKK inspiring disgust, right? (I mean, it's no coincidence that it was re-founded within his Presidential term.)

In any case, I don't really get the spirited defense of Wilson, period. He was the closest thing we've ever had to a fascist President. Take everything -- and I do mean everything -- which Bush supposedly was, and Wilson was exactly that, only much, much worse.

And no, I've never heard Glenn Beck say a word about the man.

Last edited:
That's hardly the point. Some things are incandescently wrong in any context. Do you not agree?

Sure. That does not mean that the context is not important. Not to Godwin the thread, but it's a good explanation. The acts of Nazi Germany where wrong in any context. However, the context is important to learn about and know. It does not excuse in any way what happened, but does for example give insight into why it happened, and gives us things to watch for in order to prevent it happening again.

History without context is not history.

Do you believe anyone who watches and listens to Glenn and agrees with him is blind?
Actually, I think all those who watch him on cable have their sight; those that listen to him could very well be blind.

Like what?

Heck if I know. But its been happening throughout history. We always look at previous generations with a hint of seeing their values as somewhat primitive, especially as values change over time. Everything we disdain has been held dear and was justified by some culture at some point and I see no reason why this trend would cease.

Perhaps Beck sees Wilson's racism -- and it was rather virulent even for his day -- the same way. Wilson's racism was of a piece with the KKK. I can't imagine a condemnation of the KKK inspiring disgust, right? (I mean, it's no coincidence that it was re-founded within his Presidential term.)

In any case, I don't really get the spirited defense of Wilson, period. He was the closest thing we've ever had to a fascist President. Take everything -- and I do mean everything -- which Bush supposedly was, and Wilson was exactly that, only much, much worse.

And no, I've never heard Glenn Beck say a word about the man.

Who said I was defending Wilson? I just don't like the way Beck presents history.

I honestly am having trouble understanding the level of hate directed at Glenn Beck. I can understand not really liking him, but the HATE toward this man is incredible. Where is that coming from? What has he done or what is he doing that causes you to have such strong emotions about him?

Bitter angry hate filled people with pathetic lives NEED someone to hate. When Bush won in 2000 the hate filled branch of the left was incensed...Bush had stolen their ring of power. Then in 2004 I swear...I had college professors I worked with on suicide watch because Bush beat John Kerry. Now...this should be the second summer of love following a house, senate AND white house win. Its not...nothing has changed. Those that have been filled with hatred still are. beck is just the most convenient public figure for them to vent their hatred at. If it wasnt him it would be others...in fact IS others. But none are as prolific as Beck.

Its usually pretty easy to tell when people are full of anger, hatred and self loathing. They dont celebrate themselves; instead they focus rage and hatred on others.

Last edited:
I honestly am having trouble understanding the level of hate directed at Glenn Beck. I can understand not really liking him, but the HATE toward this man is incredible. Where is that coming from? What has he done or what is he doing that causes you to have such strong emotions about him?

Becks jobs is to spin up conservatives against liberals.
He hunts stories and other things to get you guys riled up, whether or not they are true, small potatoes etc.

Like mega said, a little truth wrapped in a lot of bull crap.

It annoys me that people take him seriously.

Sure. That does not mean that the context is not important. Not to Godwin the thread, but it's a good explanation. The acts of Nazi Germany where wrong in any context. However, the context is important to learn about and know. It does not excuse in any way what happened, but does for example give insight into why it happened, and gives us things to watch for in order to prevent it happening again.

History without context is not history.

You know what, Redress? I think you're picking a fight with me just because you want to pick a fight with me.

Of course context is important, but not every single time you bring something up. You don't have to go through the history of WWI, the Versailles Treaty, the Great Depression, anti-Semitism in Europe, and the agitation of nationalism every single time you say "the Nazis were bad."

And as for context, well, what was the context of Beck saying these things? What point was he making? We're discussing that without any large context, right?

Who said I was defending Wilson? I just don't like the way Beck presents history.

Fair enough; I just think you picked an odd example.

Fair enough; I just think you picked an odd example.

I think a better example would the whole Founding Fathers were Christian thing.

The fact that I dislike him and find him disgusting - how do you get from there to 'hate'?

Well, he was a racist and a bigot. He resegregated the military. I think we all know that those views were common during that day. Who doesn't know that?

Apparently, Beck doesn't.

Heck if I know. But its been happening throughout history. We always look at previous generations with a hint of seeing their values as somewhat primitive, especially as values change over time. Everything we disdain has been held dear and was justified by some culture at some point and I see no reason why this trend would cease.

Things may change, sure, and they always do. But it's the future which would have to be primitive to "disdain" my views. It would be a rather brutal, statist society which would.

My problem with him(which like others have said, isn't hate) is that he doesn't provide context, while presenting history. He looks at it with the mindset of someone living in this day and time, without taking the time period into consideration.

Oh, and more people than you would think don't probably know stuff like that. Education in this country is mostly crap.

I also really enjoy and appreciate that to a certain extent, he's a little fish in a huge pond. He thinks everybody knows his name, and a lot of people look up to, admire and respect him. Most of the world doesn't know his name, and those who do could give two ****s. He's a performer. His followers are sheep. In a couple of generations, nobody will remember his name.

That's life.

The majority were. No disputing that.

I agree that the majority were, but I don't quite see it the way Beck tends to present it, as if the founding fathers were all very religious and somehow this country is special in the sight of God. (Here's a hint, all countries believe they are special in the sight of God or whatever divine entity). Heck, look at some of the writings of Jefferson or Franklin as an example, and those two guys were very influential.

Things may change, sure, and they always do. But it's the future which would have to be primitive to "disdain" my views. It would be a rather brutal, statist society which would.

And the nobles and peasants who believed in the divine rights of monarchy would have the same attitude about your beliefs. See my point?

Everyone who has a philosophy tends to think their philosophy is the best one for whatever reason. However, in the end, its all subjective.

Last edited:
I agree that the majority were, but I don't quite see it the way Beck tends to present it, as if the founding fathers were all very religious and somehow this country is special in the sight of God. (Here's a hint, all countries believe they are special in the sight of God or whatever divine entity). Heck, look at some of the writings of Jefferson or Franklin as an example, and those two guys were very influential.

Beck presents it accurately. And believing that the country is special is an opinion. Our Founders, generally, agreed with that. What has Beck said that presents the Founders' religions inaccurately?

Beck presents it accurately. And believing that the country is special is an opinion. Our Founders, generally, agreed with that. What has Beck said that presents the Founders' religions inaccurately?

And to answer that, I will tie it back to my first post on this thread. He takes something that is somewhat true and uses it to weave an illogical viewpoint. In this case, the idea that the country is somehow special and divinely ordained because the founding fathers had a religious viewpoint.

And to answer that, I will tie it back to my first post on this thread. He takes something that is somewhat true and uses it to weave an illogical viewpoint. In this case, the idea that the country is somehow special and divinely ordained because the founding fathers had a religious viewpoint.

It's an OPINION that the country was divinely inspired. It's okay if you disagree with his opinion. I don't get the big deal.

It's an OPINION that the country was divinely inspired. It's okay if you disagree with his opinion. I don't get the big deal.

Than why does he act as if its fact?

I think he's the equivalent of a tabloid newspaper.

Back
Top Bottom