• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why A Government Shutdown Over The Wall?

Jetboogieman

Somewhere in Babylon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I am very confused, can Trump supporters please explain this to me.

Why is it, the President of the United States is threatening to shut down his own government because of the Border Wall, when he assured us all, that Mexico was going to pay for it...

Shutdowns actually end up costing more money for Taxpayers than if the government just stays open due to a number of factors.

So not only would building the wall be a massive waste of money, but Trump is threatening to waste even more money in an attempt to waste more money.

The utter stupidity of contemporary American politics is astounding.

Why is it, the President of the United States is threatening to shut down his own government because of the Border Wall, when he assured us all, that Mexico was going to pay for it...

Shutdowns actually end up costing more money for Taxpayers than if the government just stays open due to a number of factors.

So not only would building the wall be a massive waste of money, but Trump is threatening to waste even more money in an attempt to waste more money.

Donald Trump lied a couple of times in the meeting. He said it's being built and a bunch of it has been built in California. It's literally a slice of wall in the middle of a desert. If he really knew "the best people," he could get $5 Billion quite easily. Too bad his bank was raided by the police...The Democrats know that no such wall exists and never will.

My guess... it isn't about the wall. Think about it.

Building the wall and securing our border is necessary thanks to the millions of lawless lowlifes with no respect for our immigration policies or the people in this country.

Building the wall and securing our border is necessary thanks to the millions of lawless lowlifes with no respect for our immigration policies or the people in this country.

All the Red States should pay for it if they want so bad...Mexico isn't....As much as trump has told his brain dead base of morons...they would

Building a wall...making Mexico pay for it...those are both very easy things to do. But both require Congress to get them done.

When Trump campaigned on those two issues, he counted on Congressional Republicans. Those Republicans stabbed him in the back. As a consequence, he has dropped the notion of Mexico paying for the wall and he is focusing on getting the wall built.

So you can just drop the "Mexico is supposed to pay for it" stuff...thanks to Congress. (unless, of course, you want to dishonestly continue to make it an issue)

Now...regarding the shutdown. Tell me...exactly how much does it cost to shut down the government? Hmmm? If it's much more than the $5 billion Trump wants for the wall right now, then wouldn't it be better for the Senate Dems to give him the money than to force the shutdown?

Building a wall...making Mexico pay for it...those are both very easy things to do. But both require Congress to get them done.

When Trump campaigned on those two issues, he counted on Congressional Republicans. Those Republicans stabbed him in the back. As a consequence, he has dropped the notion of Mexico paying for the wall and he is focusing on getting the wall built.

So you can just drop the "Mexico is supposed to pay for it" stuff...thanks to Congress. (unless, of course, you want to dishonestly continue to make it an issue)

Now...regarding the shutdown. Tell me...exactly how much does it cost to shut down the government? Hmmm? If it's much more than the $5 billion Trump wants for the wall right now, then wouldn't it be better for the Senate Dems to give him the money than to force the shutdown?

The Democrats in the Senate have told trump to shove that wall up his ass...Move on

So easy, he couldn't do it.

So perhaps he's not the amazing deal maker he made himself out to be.

Guess he's not responsible for absolutely anything right Mycroft?

https://www.politico.com/agenda/sto...vernment-shutdown-actually-costs-money-000624

But in reality it doesn't quite work like that. Budget experts and past analyses by the White House budget office have found that a shutdown hurts the U.S.’ finances in a number of ways. Furloughed workers almost always get paid retroactively for the time they were out—which means taxpayers are laying out money without getting any work in return. Museums and national parks can’t collect fees and revenues from other sources like gift shops. Perhaps most importantly, federal workers spend thousands of cumulative work hours preparing for the event and recovering from it, literally shutting down their systems and then restarting them once the government reopens—paid work that is utterly unnecessary to the normal business of running the country, and sucks time away from safety inspections, or reviewing research grants, or whatever their actual responsibilities are.

Quantifying the exact cost to the government is difficult, in part because every shutdown is different. Between November 1995 and January 1996, the government shut down twice for a total of 27 days as Democrats and Republicans clashed over Medicare funding, among other issues. A subsequent analysis conducted by the White House’s Office of Management and Budget estimated that both shutdowns together cost the government $1.4 billion—more than $2 billion today after adjusting for inflation. “That's not monopoly money,” then-President Bill Clinton said in January 1996 as the two parties were on the verge of yet another shutdown. “Shutting down the government again would be unbelievably irresponsible.”

Of that $1.4 billion, roughly $1.1 billion was salary paid to federal workers who stayed home and didn't work. The remaining $300 million came from other sources, such as the lost revenue from the closure of national parks and public museums. According to the budget office, the shutdown resulted in the cancellation of seven million visits to the national parks and two million visits to museums and other cultural sites, such as the Smithsonian and Kennedy Center.

Of course this doesn't make Trump look good and it doesn't come from a Trump propaganda machine, so you won't accept anything it has to say and no, that's not how it works, Trump wants to waste money and he's threatening to waste more money in an attempt to waste more money on a useless structure.

The wall will cost far more than $5 Billion and untold billions in maintenance and upkeep, meanwhile it will do nothing to stop drugs and illegal immigrants.

The Democrats in the Senate have told trump to shove that wall up his ass...Move on

A year ago Senate Democrats offered him a whole lot more than 5 billion, but he blew that.

Now he's huffing and puffing and trying to look like a big he-man but he's looking smaller and smaller all the time.

https://www.politico.com/agenda/sto...vernment-shutdown-actually-costs-money-000624

Of course this doesn't make Trump look good and it doesn't come from a Trump propaganda machine, so you won't accept anything it has to say and no, that's not how it works, Trump wants to waste money and he's threatening to waste more money in an attempt to waste more money on a useless structure.

The wall will cost far more than $5 Billion and untold billions in maintenance and upkeep, meanwhile it will do nothing to stop drugs and illegal immigrants.

It's easy. So easy! Very easy! Just like passing a new healthcare law would be easy.

The general population is in favor of the wall. No one ever asked voters if they wanted Americas demographic to change this way, and Trump did run on building a wall in response to this. The democrats want to use illigal immigration to swamp the conservative middle class and be done with conservatives once and for all when they are in position to grant amnesty to an unknown number of illegals - somewhere between 14 million to 24 million depending on who’s figures you choose. And that is before chain migration is factored in.

As far as “pay for it”, money is fungible. Most will accept the wall, and understand the “If you like your doctor” nature of the boast.

Last edited:

I never expected Mexico to pay for the wall. From the start I considered that just campaign rhetoric.

I also (much like Trump apparently) didn't expect the Republicans in Congress to have been blowing smoke all those years they claimed that they had legislation all ready for a President to enact. Turns out they had bupkiss.

I would prefer a border that did not need a wall. But that would require a few simple steps.

1. Clearly define "birthright citizenship" to exclude anchor babies, i.e. babies born to people who are not legal resident's of the USA.

2. Enact legislation allowing for the immediate deportation of anyone who enters the country illegally, with imprisonment for those who return followed by immediate deportation. Every time!

3. End the lottery system, as well as prohibit any and all future "amnesty" programs.

4. Simply enforce immigration law, penalizing businesses who use illegal workers, organizations that shelter illegals, and hold potential immigrants to follow the normal legal procedures or be refused access at all.

Do those things and IMHO we would not need a wall. :shrug:

Last edited:
Well, you know how when Presidential candidates campaign and they make campaign promises and the people think, "Wow! I'd like that one candidate to win and keep those promises because I agree with them" and then that one candidate wins and omg the people that voted for him actually expect him to follow through with his promises because elections have consequences and all that stuff and they were perhaps expecting since "their guy" was in office that their agenda would be carried out especially that big-ticket item that their guy who won made a keystone issue of his campaign?

Yano? That^^

Trump/Republicans have one major legislative accomplishment in their two years in near complete power.
Tax cuts for the wealthy/corporations.

They failed on healthcare
They failed on immigration
And Trump is dangling in the wind lying about the wall, threatening government shutdown as a negotiating tactic.

Republicans don't want to succeed, it would only make it look like government can do things, and that scares them.
They would much rather go back to yelling about the brown immigrants and Obamacare, where they felt safer flinging poo from the sidelines.

Trump accidentally, with the help of Russia, won the presidency, and they had to act serious all of a sudden but quickly grew tired off it once they got their tax cuts for their big donors done.

Because **** you, that's why.

*some Trump supporter, probably*

Trump couldn't get his wall for two damn years, with a total Republican government. And now when the Dems come to power, he wants to shut down the government over it? B.S. He's using the Dems as a bogeyman, attempting to hold his reign on power.

I stopped reading there. How exactly is Congress supposed to make Mexico pay for ANYTHING? I don't know if you guys know this, but Mexico is a foreign country and thus not subject to Congress' edicts.

But ... but ... it's Congress' fault! Not Trump's for making a promise he was incapable of keeping!

These people are ****ing demented.

Trump couldn't get his wall for two damn years, with a total Republican government. And now when the Dems come to power, he wants to shut down the government over it? B.S. He's using the Dems as a bogeyman, attempting to hold his reign on power.

Of course he is, and the Mycrofts of the world are gullible enough to buy into it.

Last edited:

Because THEY WANT THEIR MOTHER****ING WALL GODDAMIT.

There was never real intention of building a wall. Nor was there any intention of replacing Obamacare.

They were just campaign sound bites, that's all.

Kind of like when he told his three wives he was there for better or worse. Those were just soundbites.

It is a good point you brought up that he had a Republican controlled house and senate for two years but now that the Dems have the house they are the reason he couldn't do this.

Who in hell is swallowing this crap Trump is spewing.

There was never real intention of building a wall. Nor was there any intention of replacing Obamacare.

Kind of like when he told his three wives he was there for better or worse. Those were just soundbites.

It is a good point you brought up that he had a Republican controlled house and senate for two years but now that the Dems have the house they are the reason he couldn't do this.

The bolded is standard Trump.

"Take no responsibility ever, and vehemently blame others"

It's why so many of us can't stand him (among a million other things).

trump is catering to his base of angry rural whites...He could say the Military will shoot to kill on the border...They would be thrilled...He is deliberately stroking the flames of bigotry and xenophobia.....Essentially breaking America a part....Where the 2 sides are considered the enemy...America's enemies will also be pretty thrilled

~snipped the nonsense~

So...there you go.

The Dems don't mind shutting down the government because that will cost less than giving Trump the money he wants.

Of course, unlike you, the Dems don't care about the money. They just don't want to give Trump anything he wants. It's all about opposition.

Shutdown...money...national security...Chuck and Nancy don't care. Trump getting what he wants...NO WAY!!

I stopped reading there. How exactly is Congress supposed to make Mexico pay for ANYTHING? I don't know if you guys know this, but Mexico is a foreign country and thus not subject to Congress' edicts.

You should read more.

Trump told everyone how to make Mexico pay for the wall way back during his campaign.

I guess you never read about that, eh?

Back
Top Bottom