• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why a federal minimum wage law?

There should be no minimum wage. It’s none of government’s business what wage an employer and employee agree to. An artificial wage minimum puts the poorest and least skilled out of work. And it prevents workers from getting 40 hours.

It is very good for any country to set a minimum wage for 23 year olds and older (prior to that a lower minimum wage can be set). And a livable minimum wage does not put the poorest and least skilled out of work, it means that the poorest and least skilled do not have to work 2 or 3 jobs to make a livable wage. Taking up 2 other possible jobs from other people.

I believe in the population's welfare. That's why I vehemently oppose minimum wage laws. They put the poorest and least-skilled out of work.

Yeah, that is nonsense, giving them starvation wages does not create jobs, it creates a subsection of people destined for perpetual poverty and their kids will be in the same situation too.

Ive seen min wage in action. I've seen poorly skilled workers laid off while more work was put on those already there. It's horrible.

Well, still better than starvation wages. You don't have to have a minimum wage that is too high for businesses to pay but with lower pay you get lower production/less enthused staff.

Yeah, that is nonsense, giving them starvation wages does not create jobs, it creates a subsection of people destined for perpetual poverty and their kids will be in the same situation too.
An artificially high minimum wage does indeed cut jobs, and it's the lower-skilled workers who get cut. I don't understand why you think that's OK.

Well, still better than starvation wages. You don't have to have a minimum wage that is too high for businesses to pay but with lower pay you get lower production/less enthused staff.
Nobody is enthused whose hours get cut and who have to do the work of those dismissed. Min wage is a disaster. I've seen it. Think about it. A business has only so much it can spend on wages. A higher wage means fewer hours. Fewer hours means a loss of jobs and added pressure on the workers that remain. I don't know why leftwingers think it would or could work any other way.

Nobody is enthused whose hours get cut and who have to do the work of those dismissed. Min wage is a disaster. I've seen it. Think about it. A business has only so much it can spend on wages. A higher wage means fewer hours. Fewer hours means a loss of jobs and added pressure on the workers that remain. I don't know why leftwingers think it would or could work any other way.

Except it is not a disaster, a lot of countries have a minimum wage to ensure employees are not being screwed over by greedy bosses.

And again, it works just fine as long as you live in a system not purely driven by immoral greed. That is why a lot of countries have paid sick leave, paid holidays, paid pregnancy leave, etc. etc. etc.

An artificially high minimum wage does indeed cut jobs, and it's the lower-skilled workers who get cut. I don't understand why you think that's OK.

I don't know why you think it is OK to pay people artificially low wages that make people starving working poor rather than honestly paid staff.

I believe in the population's welfare. That's why I vehemently oppose minimum wage laws. They put the poorest and least-skilled out of work.
Mashmont, Congressional Budget office’s projections for the proposed “Raise the Wage” act were contrary to your opinion. They projected the increased rate would reduce the numbers of families with incomes below the poverty level threshold for families of their sizes.

That’s because, to the extent of its purchasing power and enforcement, the federal minimum wage rate reduces incidences and extents of poverty among the working poor and their dependents.
Respectfully, Supposn

Nobody is enthused whose hours get cut and who have to do the work of those dismissed. Min wage is a disaster. I've seen it. ...
Mashmont, that’s B.S. If employers can obtain similar quality and productivity from fewer employees at lesser net labor costs, they do so. Employers adjust to minimum rate increases.

They often hire more capable workers at substantially more than minimum rates, to retain or exceed the quality and volume of their production at comparatively lesser per unit cost than costs of continuing to employ lesser qualified employees.
Respectfully, Supposn
Mashmont, Congressional Budget office’s projections for the proposed “Raise the Wage” act were contrary to your opinion. They projected the increased rate would reduce the numbers of families with incomes below the poverty level threshold for families of their sizes.
That’s because, to the extent of its purchasing power and enforcement, the federal minimum wage rate reduces incidences and extents of poverty among the working poor and their dependents. ...

There should be no minimum wage. It’s none of government’s business what wage an employer and employee agree to. An artificial wage minimum puts the poorest and least skilled out of work. And it prevents workers from getting 40 hours.
Mashmont, "An ARTIFICIAL wage minimum [rate]"?
Products’’ market prices are determined by many various factors. Government regulations are among such factors that affect the prices of many different products, Taxes are significant regarding prices of fuel, real-estate, and whisky. Legally required licenses and insurance affect consumers’ costs for many goods and services. The prices and costs of owning or using houses, gas, or cars, are their markets’ not artificial costs.

The applicably require minimum wage rate within each labor market, is that labor market’s minimum price. Respectfully, Supposn

A vague ambiguous nebulous nothing-burger.

People who don't understand Economics always say that.

For the longest time, 95% of the population -- including children -- were engage in agriculture. Why?

Um, so you don't starve to death and so you have something to trade to improve your Standard of Living.

Thanks to technological advances, it eventually only required 90% of your population -- including children -- to work in agriculture. Why?

Um, again, so you don't starve to death and so you might have something to trade to enhance your Standard of Living.

When a country makes that leap from a 1st Level Economy to a 2nd Level Economy, it requires an enormous amount of labor, more labor than a population generally has and that is why children must work, at least initially.

The fatal flaw in your nonsensical ranting is "skilled labor."

Do children possess skilled labor? The operand is skilled.

No, they do not, which leads us to another important facet that your fatally flawed rantings ignore and that is Birth Rate.

Expansion through the 2nd Level Economy requires ancillary services, which is why GDP growth is generally 8% to 15% per quarter.

A work-force educated to the 4th or 6th Grade doesn't get it and neither does the 8th Grade. You need people educated to the 10th Grade and then you need people with high school diplomas.

Staying in school delays marriage which reduces Birth Rate.

But for the ancillary services like management, administration, supervision, accounting, legal, insurance, finance, logistics, research, development, testing, design, engineering, architecture, drafting etc etc etc you need college educated workers.

That delays marriage even longer and reduces the Birth Rate even more.

If you do doubt, might I suggest you avail yourself of the US Census Bureau website so you can visualize the drastic drop in Birth Rate in the US long before birth control became available in the mid-1960s.

Your claim that children would be working is absurdly farcical.

While I'm on the topic, you're probably one of those who think over-population is problem (and it is, but only in your head).

The US will not develop sub-Saharan Africa, but the good news is that China will.

As the sub-Saharan States move from the Zero and 1st Level Economies into the 2nd Level Economy, they will need an educated workforce which means more schools, better schools and people staying in school longer and delaying marriage which will reduce the birth rate exactly in the same way it did for Western Europe, the US and Canada.

So, get over it already.

You continue to ignore question and moronically ask more of your own. If you can't follow debate protocol, there is no sense in attempting to engage in proper debate with you. See you on another thread.

This would be the CBO who also projected that the increased rate would throw 1.4 and possibly up to 3.7 million people out of jobs? ;)

I believe that is likely what he was talking about.

It is very good for any country to set a minimum wage for 23 year olds and older (prior to that a lower minimum wage can be set).

Why 23? There are 18 year olds with kids out there trying to make a living, and 27 year olds in their parents' basement.

And a livable minimum wage does not put the poorest and least skilled out of work,

Tragically, it turns out, there is no such thing as a free lunch and higher artificial wage floors do, indeed, put the poorest and least skilled out of work.

National Bureau of Economic Research Working Paper 12663: Studies that focus on low-wage workers provide relatively overwhelming evidence that minimum wage increases result in strong disemployment effects

National Bureau of Economic Research Working Paper 18681: Utilizing proper control groups leads to stronger disemployment effects; the evidence shows that minimum wage increases still represent a trade-off between higher wages for some and unemployment for others

National Bureau of Economic Research Working Paper 19262: We find that the minimum wage reduces net job growth, with the most pronounced effects on younger and low-wage workers

National Bureau of Economic Research Working Paper 6127: The Evidence indicates that Minimum Wage Increases mostly redistribute resources among the low wage demographics, with slightly more people falling into poverty due to the lost income of disemployment than rising out of it due to income increases.

National Bureau of Economic Research Working Paper 23667: we find that increasing the minimum wage decreases significantly the share of automatable employment held by low-skilled workers, and increases the likelihood that low-skilled workers in automatable jobs become nonemployed or employed in worse jobs.

Most recently:

National Bureau of Economic Research Working Paper 28388:

...we assembled the entire set of published studies in this literature and identified the core estimates that support the conclusions from each study, in most cases relying on responses from the researchers who wrote these papers.

Our key conclusions are:

(i) there is a clear preponderance of negative estimates in the literature;

(ii) this evidence is stronger for teens and young adults as well as the less-educated;

(iii) the evidence from studies of directly-affected workers points even more strongly to negative employment effects; and

(iv) the evidence from studies of low-wage industries is less one-sided.

We don't call it the Dismal Science for nothin. :(

Personally, I would find higher MW advocates a lot more persuasive and credible if they were willing to address the utterly predictable - if unintended - negative consequences of their policy recommendations.

Mashmont, jobs not justified t paying the minimum wage rate are not created but jobs’ wage rates are not of lesser concern than the availability jobs. The U.S. Congressional Budget Office’s projections for the proposed “Raise the Wage Act” indicated reduced proportions of families below the poverty thresholds for their families’ sizes.
Why are you opposed to the minimum wage rate which to the extent of its purchasing power reduces numbers and extents of poverty among the working poor and their families.
Respectfully, Supposn

Mashmont, jobs not justified t paying the minimum wage rate are not created but jobs’ wage rates are not of lesser concern than the availability jobs. The U.S. Congressional Budget Office’s projections for the proposed “Raise the Wage Act” indicated reduced proportions of families below the poverty thresholds for their families’ sizes.
Why are you opposed to the minimum wage rate which to the extent of its purchasing power reduces numbers and extents of poverty among the working poor and their families.
Respectfully, Supposn

Killing 500,000 poor people and giving their meager belongings to 600,000 poor people would, on net, "financially benefit poor people". That doesn't make it good policy. The CBO estimate is that we would kick 1.4 Million people out of the workforce, trapping them in poverty. Respectfully, refusing to acknowledge that makes Higher-MW advocates come off as less convincing and credible.

This would be the CBO who also projected that the increased rate would throw 1.4 and possibly up to 3.7 million people out of jobs? ;)
I believe that is likely what he was talking about.
CPWill yes, those are the same CBO reports do not indicate any PROPORTIONAL material increase of USA’s aggregate unemployment rates.

Referring to How Increasing the Federal Minimum Wage Could Affect Employment and Family Income | Congressional Budget Office (cbo.gov) How Increasing the Federal Minimum Wage Could Affect Employment and Family Income | Congressional Budget Office (cbo.gov) :
“Raise the Wage Act, as passed” option, graph of “Average Percentage Change in Real Family Income, by Income Group”:
The graph indicates only 2025 highest income families are projected to experience any net reductions of real family total incomes, (rather than total wages). Those incomes are reduced by less than 1/5 of a percent. All other family total incomes are increased or materially unaffected.

Respectfully, Supposn

Why 23? There are 18 year olds with kids out there trying to make a living, and 27 year olds in their parents' basement.

because most of those age are working in kitchens/waitress/stocking shelves/etc. etc. etc. Low level part time jobs, and remember, this is MINIMUM wage, not maximum wage. People who have skills that are worth more money will get more money. But the reality is that teens getting minimum wage often still live at home, and with such a low wage they get all kinds of help from the government (to pay health care, to pay for housing, etc. etc.). Most 18 year olds will not be able to get a mortgage, etc. etc.

Most people will get more than minimum wage, but it ensures they from not being taken advantage of by business owners who want to pay as little as possible, it is not meant to be the normal wage for people, it is just the bare minimum.

Tragically, it turns out, there is no such thing as a free lunch and higher artificial wage floors do, indeed, put the poorest and least skilled out of work.

Our key conclusions are:

(i) there is a clear preponderance of negative estimates in the literature;

(ii) this evidence is stronger for teens and young adults as well as the less-educated;

(iii) the evidence from studies of directly-affected workers points even more strongly to negative employment effects; and

(iv) the evidence from studies of low-wage industries is less one-sided.

We don't call it the Dismal Science for nothin. :(

Personally, I would find higher MW advocates a lot more persuasive and credible if they were willing to address the utterly predictable - if unintended - negative consequences of their policy recommendations.

And yet minimum wage is something that is used in plenty of industrialized countries and the negative consequences are not that immense to not think about having a minimum wage because it also has lot of positive consequences.

CPWill yes, those are the same CBO reports do not indicate any PROPORTIONAL material increase of USA’s aggregate unemployment rates.

Referring to How Increasing the Federal Minimum Wage Could Affect Employment and Family Income | Congressional Budget Office (cbo.gov) How Increasing the Federal Minimum Wage Could Affect Employment and Family Income | Congressional Budget Office (cbo.gov) :
“Raise the Wage Act, as passed” option, graph of “Average Percentage Change in Real Family Income, by Income Group”:
The graph indicates only 2025 highest income families are projected to experience any net reductions of real family total incomes, (rather than total wages). Those incomes are reduced by less than 1/5 of a percent. All other family total incomes are increased or materially unaffected.

Respectfully, Supposn
Supposn,

From your link:

... The federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour has not changed since 2009. Increasing it would raise the earnings and family income of most low-wage workers, lifting some families out of poverty—but it would cause other low-wage workers to become jobless, and their family income would fall.

:) I hope that helps you narrow in on what we are talking about when we discuss the fact that we will be harming some low-wage workers when we push them out of the workforce by raising the bottom rung of the ladder out of their reach, ensuring they remain trapped in structural poverty that we have imposed on them, rather than due to any unfortunate natural circumstance, or merely their own decisions.

Killing 500,000 poor people and giving their meager belongings to 600,000 poor people would, on net, "financially benefit poor people". That doesn't make it good policy. The CBO estimate is that we would kick 1.4 Million people out of the workforce, trapping them in poverty. Respectfully, refusing to acknowledge that makes Higher-MW advocates come off as less convincing and credible.
CPWill, can you explain what this, your quoted posted nonsensical tirade was meant to communicate? Respectfully, Supposn

because most of those age are working in kitchens/waitress/stocking shelves/etc. etc. etc.

An interesting claim, and, I'll admit, while it certainly seems plausible, I've never dived into the exact specifics on what industries hire what portions of people below the ages of 23. Do you have those stats, or anyone who has done work breaking them down?

People who have skills that are worth more money will get more money.

Indeed. But we have people who are older than 23 without skills that would allow them to get more money. Why should we ban them from being able to gain the skills and experience they need by forbidding them from doing the work they can do?

But the reality is that teens getting minimum wage often still live at home, and with such a low wage they get all kinds of help from the government (to pay health care, to pay for housing, etc. etc.). Most 18 year olds will not be able to get a mortgage, etc. etc.

I have known plenty of 18 year olds that have lived on their own, but, we aren't building a policy for "often", but, "all".

If the problem is that minimum wage is not a living wage and we want to raise the minimum wage and throw some people out of work in order to ensure that everyone who is left with a job is making enough to support themselves....

....then why carve out this exception which would ensure that people are left who are not making enough to support themselves?

Forgive me, but, it strikes me as a very ham-fisted attempt to ameliorate a problem we just created, when, we didn't have to create the problem in the first place.

Most people will get more than minimum wage, but it ensures they from not being taken advantage of by business owners who want to pay as little as possible,

As someone once told me - people who have skills that are worth more money will get more money ;)

And yet minimum wage is something that is used in plenty of industrialized countries and the negative consequences are not that immense to not think about having a minimum wage because it also has lot of positive consequences.

I'm not sure that "it's okay that we actively harm the poorest 1% because there are so much more of us than there are of them" is all that great an argument. :(

cpwill said:
CPWill, can you explain what this, your quoted posted nonsensical tirade was meant to communicate? Respectfully, Supposn

:) Hardly nonsensical, Supposn. This is an example of a Reductio ad Absurdium, an argument which demonstrates that a particular line of logic, if consistently applied, leads to ridiculous outcomes.

In this case, you appear to be responding to the point that a higher minimum wage will push the most economically vulnerable portions of our workforce out of the labor market and trap them in poverty by appealing to the net effect on wages among low wage workers. So, the argument seems to be that it is okay if we harm some low-wage workers if the net effect is positive because we help more than we hurt. I am using an extreme example of that logic to show that it is problematic.

The CBO has estimated that we will kick ~1.4 million - the bottom 1%, roughly, though it could end up being more - of our workforce out of the labor market by raising MW beyond their ability to compete. Those are real people, the poorest and most vulnerable of our poor, with the least ability to adjust, that we will be trapping in poverty. Higher MW advocates should deal with that openly, and people who oppose a higher MW out of a desire to not harm those people are presenting a fairly reasonable argument.

:) Hardly nonsensical, Supposn. This is an example of a Reductio ad Absurdium, an argument which demonstrates that a particular line of logic, if consistently applied, leads to ridiculous outcomes.
CPWill, as you apparently prefer, I’ll present an argumentum ad absurdum.

Although reducing the minimum’s purchasing power may promote creation of more jobs of lesser purchasing powers, pools of employees and unemployed workers will also be increased. Paradoxically, percentages of those unemployed are not reduced; but percentages and numbers of unemployed seekers of lower wage rate jobs may be particularly increased.

If a labor market lacks something similar to a legally enforced definite minimum rate or something that performs a similar function, that market may and likely will on numbers of occasions experience indefinite rates of the dreadfully poor purchasing powers. That’s the reason all major nations (regardless of their types of economies), have something similar to, or a quasi-government provision for, something performing the function of USA’s minimum wage rate laws.
Respectfully, Supposn

Last edited:

In this case, you appear to be responding to the point that a higher minimum wage will push the most economically vulnerable portions of our workforce out of the labor market and trap them in poverty by appealing to the net effect on wages among low wage workers. So, the argument seems to be that it is okay if we harm some low-wage workers if the net effect is positive because we help more than we hurt. I am using an extreme example of that logic to show that it is problematic.

The CBO has estimated that we will kick ~1.4 million - the bottom 1%, roughly, though it could end up being more - of our workforce out of the labor market by raising MW beyond their ability to compete. Those are real people, the poorest and most vulnerable of our poor, with the least ability to adjust, that we will be trapping in poverty. Higher MW advocates should deal with that openly, and people who oppose a higher MW out of a desire to not harm those people are presenting a fairly reasonable argument.
CPWill, CBO reports do not indicate any PROPORTIONAL material increase of USA’s aggregate unemployment rates. They don't even indicate any PROPORTIONAL material increase of USA’s aggregate unemployment rates among only the lowest 1% of USA’s employees or their families. They do indicate proportional reductions of families near or below the poverty thresholds for families of their sizes. Such families include member who are employed or unemployed.
Respectfully, Supposn

You continue to ignore question and moronically ask more of your own. If you can't follow debate protocol, there is no sense in attempting to engage in proper debate with you. See you on another thread.

"Social fairness" or whatever it is has no place in Economics.

That's like saying DNA is evil because it isn't socially fair.

You said children would be working and I proved you wrong and now you're mad.

Why don't you take an economics course should have something to argue other than emotion.

That argument is made every time a minimum wage law is introduced and the only thing that happens is H&HS raises the bar.

That’s because, to the extent of its purchasing power and enforcement, the federal minimum wage rate reduces incidences and extents of poverty among the working poor and their dependents.

Poverty is an attitude and state of mind.

People can get out of poverty any time they want, they just don't want to.

Back
Top Bottom