• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Whose read atlas shrugged?

YoungConserv

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I am currently reading atlas shrugged at what at first I thought was going to be a chore has become one of the most enjoyable books I've ever read. Why is this not taught in our schools its better than most of the crap I read for class

I am currently reading atlas shrugged at what at first I thought was going to be a chore has become one of the most enjoyable books I've ever read. Why is this not taught in our schools its better than most of the crap I read for class

Probably for the same reason that L. Ron Hubbard's, "Dianetics" isn't taught in our schools.

I've read it twice, listened to the audiobook at least a dozen times, and the speeches countless times. One of my favorites, don't expect much more than ridicule from the looters here though.

Because Ayn Rand was a terrible writer.

Read more books.

We read Anthem in high school.

Atlas Shrugged is way too long for high school though.

I don't mind reading authors whose politics I disagree with (L. Neil Smith is super duper libertarian, and his books are alright for an occasional read), but she was just such a terrible writer. I would rather read Tolkien with all the interesting bits cut out than read Atlas Shrugged again.

I have.

I'm generally sympathetic to political individualism, though not of the Roarkian sort (railroads were the most heavily subsidized industry in the United States at the time Atlas Shrugged was written). The fact of the matter is that Rand was a bad author who drew (some of) the correct conclusions on the basis of bad, flawed assumptions.

I first read Atlas Shrugged way before I had any interest in politics, government and the like. Since then I've made it a point to re-read it every 15 years or so.

Say what you will about Ayn Rand's writing ability, but you can't deny that she was prophetic.

Here is a good film about her: Ayn Rand And The Prophecy Of Atlas Shrugged (2011) DVD Movie1k.Ch.mp4 | SockShare

I am particularly reassured by the the interest in...and the identification with...the book by young people as shown in the last part of the film.

There is hope for us yet.

There is hope for us yet them and no one else.

Fixed that for you. If they're reading Rand and taking it to heart, you, me and everyone else can **** off and die and all they'd care about is what they could loot from the bodies and who they could sell the corpses to.

"Atlas Shrugged" is on my to-read list after I read several more worthwhile works.

Such as "Battlefield Earth" and the novelization of "Waterworld."

Fixed that for you. If they're reading Rand and taking it to heart, you, me and everyone else can **** off and die and all they'd care about is what they could loot from the bodies and who they could sell the corpses to.

I don't mind you commenting on my posts, but please don't alter my words when you quote them. Make your corrections...or your comments...in your own post. Thank you.

Now...tell me...who is this "they" you are speaking of?

Read it and honestly it is overrated. Her writing is just bad. I'd much prefer reading Mills.

I found it tedious. But it is a good manifesto for anyone looking for a reason to feel persecuted or grumpy.

"Atlas Shrugged" is on my to-read list after I read several more worthwhile works.

Such as "Battlefield Earth" and the novelization of "Waterworld."
But having admitted to not reading it makes your analysis worthless. And that goes for the other experts who have never bothered to read or understand her works. (Note the attacks on her style, not her substance) That said, I actually find The Fountainhead to be a better book and a better story. I have read Atlas a couple of times and virtually all of her non fiction. It might actually be easier to read "Capitalism the Unknown Ideal" and "The Virtue of Selfishness" before wading into Atlas.

When I read posts like this it is akin to watching an innocent take their first hit of hard drugs.

Sad- very very sad.

It's easier to write a book to support your political philosophy when you make it fiction.[/I

Look how great objectivism is in this fake world I created!

But having admitted to not reading it makes your analysis worthless. And that goes for the other experts who have never bothered to read or understand her works. (Note the attacks on her style, not her substance) That said, I actually find The Fountainhead to be a better book and a better story. I have read Atlas a couple of times and virtually all of her non fiction. It might actually be easier to read "Capitalism the Unknown Ideal" and "The Virtue of Selfishness" before wading into Atlas.

I don't feel the need to read the book to criticize the idea that being an asshole makes the world a better place.

When I read posts like this it is akin to watching an innocent take their first hit of hard drugs.

Sad- very very sad.

Having done both with no regrets it allows me perspective to more fully understand different viewpoints...including yours.

It isn't taught in schools because its libertarian bull****.

I don't feel the need to read the book to criticize the idea that being an asshole makes the world a better place.
Thats exactly the type of immature, ignorant response I have come to expect from Rand critics

It isn't taught in schools because its libertarian bull****.

Ayn Rand was not a libertarian and did not write from that perspective. At least know what the hell you are talking about before you comment, thanks.

Thats exactly the type of immature, ignorant response I have come to expect from Rand critics

And I write it because Rand acolytes are impossible to talk to in a rational debate. Any criticism of "full, pure, uncontrolled, unregulated laissez-faire capitalism" has them just turn around and say "well that's what the market did so therefore it's good!"

And I write it because Rand acolytes are impossible to talk to in a rational debate. Any criticism of "full, pure, uncontrolled, unregulated laissez-faire capitalism" has them just turn around and say "well that's what the market did so therefore it's good!"
I have rational debates all the time. Maybe your just too lazy to take part.

Back
Top Bottom