• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who's the greatest failed presidential nominee of modern times?

Who is the greatest failed presidential nominee of modern times?

• Mitt Romney

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Ron Paul

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Hillary Clinton

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Newt Gingrich

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Joe Biden

• Rick Santorum

• John Edwards

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Other(Please State)

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

John Liberty

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Who in your opinion is the greatest failed presidential nominee, Republican or Democrat, of modern times.

Who in your opinion is the greatest failed presidential nominee, Republican or Democrat, of modern times.

It's a no brainer, Joe Biden.

Joe ran for the Democrat Presidential nomination two times and couldn't even get 1 % of the vote from his own party.

When Barack Obama picked Joe as his running mate in 2008, it should have been a dead giveaway what the Obama administration would turn out being.

Or as Obama said after being elected in 2008, "Judge me by the type of people I surround myself with."

Yeah Berry, all second rate and incompetent.

It's a no brainer, Joe Biden.

Joe ran for the Democrat Presidential nomination two times and couldn't even get 1 % of the vote from his own party.

When Barack Obama picked Joe as his running mate in 2008, it should have been a dead giveaway what the Obama administration would turn out being.

Or as Obama said after being elected in 2008, "Judge me by the type of people I surround myself with."

Yeah Berry, all second rate and incompetent.

Biden is the only person in that group that isn't a millionaire. Interesting, isn't it? Too dumb to take bribes maybe?

Biden is the only person in that group that isn't a millionaire. Interesting, isn't it? Too dumb to take bribes maybe?

While I probably wouldn't agree with Biden on much hes such a dork you cant help but like the man. He is probably a hoot to party with.

I pick Ron Paul. While I do not agree with him on several things I do believe this country needs someone who isn't afraid to change the way we do things and stop the stagnation we have found ourselves in for the past several administrations but I suspect that will not change anytime soon while the two party system really determines who has a chance and who doesn't. They are not about to let anyone rock that boat.

As far as I can see, the poll is bogus. Only one of those people were presidential nominees. Of the failed presidential nominees in my lifetime, I'd say I have most respect for George McGovern.

Worst Presidential nominee in my time? Truthfully, I think they were all pretty reasonable. I suppose Dole and Kerry were probably the worst, but they were going up against incombants who were destined to win.

Now, there were quite a few VICE Presidential nominees that were complete losers... Ferraro, Quayle, and Palin for example.

Worst Presidential nominee in my time? Truthfully, I think they were all pretty reasonable. I suppose Dole and Kerry were probably the worst, but they were going up against incombants who were destined to win.

Now, there were quite a few VICE Presidential nominees that were complete losers... Ferraro, Quayle, and Palin for example.

What was wrong with Geraldine Ferraro?

Toss up between Romney McCain and Bod Dole for actual presidential candidates. You cant get three worst candidates imo....

I liked Bob Dole, but he was too old and his handicap was never explained well enough, so those without the knowledge only saw a frail old guy with a bum hand/arm... going up against Clinton.. no contest.

I also liked McCain, but he too was too old. This time around his war story was played well, but then it was his comments and his backroom staff that made him spin out of control. Add Palin and you had a catastrophe.

And then there was Romney.. for once the GOP did not choose an "old white guy", but one with a massive amount of baggage. Had Romney won the nomination before the crisis, then that baggage would not have been as important, but he did not. Add to this some boneheaded comments and stupid backroom staff moves.. and you had a catastrophe in the making.

But the worst candidate of the all would be Newt.. that he had the arrogance to think that he could not only run but get elected with the massive amount of baggage he has, and the hypocrisy connected to this... come on.

The worst of the failed that were the actual nominees of their party would have to be Jimmy Carter. He was a failure in nearly every aspect as a president[ and as an ex-president ]...yet was renominated. Of course Walter Mondale, his feckless VP, could be in the competition, but he at least had the good graces to only win where he lived, Minnesota and DC.

But I guess, depending how you look at the wording, Barrack Obama was his party's nominee twice and that has really got to be considered a failure of severe magnitude even though he was elected. As failed presidents go then, Jimmy and Barry are neck and neck... with Barry having the 3 year long stretch ahead of him to easily win that race.

I picked Hillary though she wasn't technically a nominee. The only reason she lost to a guy who voted present in his short career with her huge liberal gravitas and advantage was because a few big Hollywood types decided it was time to elect a black guy.

Of those who got the nomination, I would say Kerry. He was a complete disaster of a nominee. His Swift Boating was one of the most insidious and effective guerrilla campaigns I have seen in my lifetime, not that it wasn't warranted.

While I probably wouldn't agree with Biden on much hes such a dork you cant help but like the man. He is probably a hoot to party with.

I pick Ron Paul. While I do not agree with him on several things I do believe this country needs someone who isn't afraid to change the way we do things and stop the stagnation we have found ourselves in for the past several administrations but I suspect that will not change anytime soon while the two party system really determines who has a chance and who doesn't. They are not about to let anyone rock that boat.

Ron Paul has some positions I agree with and he's a lovable old guy. But he's not a plausible candidate.

I didn't really try to pick one. My comment on Biden was just because he's the only one who apparently hasn't turned his career into a gravy boat and all the others have.

Biden is a terrible public speaker who is good at making deals. He was some one whose colleagues respected him more than most people.

Worst on the list is a clear Ron Paul. He has a plan to move America back to the 17th century and reality be damned.

Best is Clinton, and hopefully she will run again.

Biden is a terrible public speaker who is good at making deals. He was some one whose colleagues respected him more than most people.

Worst on the list is a clear Ron Paul. He has a plan to move America back to the 17th century and reality be damned.

Best is Clinton, and hopefully she will run again.

"Best" is a perspective. All I was doing was addressing that Biden was honest - quite rare among politicians. That doesn't alone qualify anyone for anything. But at least when Biden expresses sympathy for the lower classes, he can relate while Clinton and most others get detached by their enormous accumulations of wealth.

Ron Paul has never been a serious candidate per se. But he has some views I agree with (and some that make me scratch my head).

What was wrong with Geraldine Ferraro?

Mondale didn't vet her enough and her husband's legal issues became a major distraction for the campaign... not that he was going to win anyway.

It would be great if there were more than one presidential nominee on the multiple choice list huh?

Nah, his bazooka mouth would be smoking just as much had he been a millionaire.

As far as I can see, the poll is bogus. Only one of those people were presidential nominees. Of the failed presidential nominees in my lifetime, I'd say I have most respect for George McGovern.

I actually would've placed McGovern as third on this list. #2 was Dukakis, and #1 was Ralph Nader by leaps and bounds.

Is the question who is the biggest failure, or who is the best of the failures?

In my book, it clearly has to be John Edwards who had the potential to be President and tossed it away for a harpy looking for a leg up, or was that two legs up.

I give this distinct honor to Ralph Nadar.

If you want to limit it to actual presidential nominees, my choice would be Ross Perot who brought the country a President Clinton and his wife who are the initiaters of the hyper-partisanship you have in America today.

If you want to limit it to actual presidential nominees, my choice would be Ross Perot who brought the country a President Clinton and his wife who are the initiaters of the hyper-partisanship you have in America today.

I don't put that blame solely on the Clinton's. Gingrich and his cronies were part of it as well. This new high level of partisanship was caused by both big parties. They all had their hands in the cookie jar.

Romney is the only person on the list who was really qualified to be president

Back
Top Bottom