• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who's Lining Up to Boycott China?

I keep asking the same question over and over again with very little reasonable response.

What makes North Carolina or Mississippi equal to Saudi Arabia? And now, what makes North Carolina or Mississippi equal to China?

By saying that these actions taken by these States means those who boycott should also boycott China or Saudi Arabia or wherever else... does that not equate these States to these nations? Even if by accident, are we not saying that North Carolina and Mississippi are now the same in terms of social conservatism as Saudi Arabia and China?

I believe China should be sanctioned for human rights violations over this personally.

I keep asking the same question over and over again with very little reasonable response.

What makes North Carolina or Mississippi equal to Saudi Arabia? And now, what makes North Carolina or Mississippi equal to China?

By saying that these actions taken by these States means those who boycott should also boycott China or Saudi Arabia or wherever else... does that not equate these States to these nations? Even if by accident, are we not saying that North Carolina and Mississippi are now the same in terms of social conservatism as Saudi Arabia and China?

It's just silly to boycott NC while sending a billion dollars to China so we can get our trinkets at a discount. I read the other day that Brian Adams said he would boycott Mississippi for it's position on gays, right after he returned from tour in Egypt where they execute them.

In many instances the Sauds and Chinese are worse.

What's good for NC should be good for China. I'll wait for all those companies doing business with China, from Google and Yahoo to Walmart and everyone else to make a stink over this. But...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/14/world/asia/china-same-sex-marriage-ruling.html?_r=0

I expect crickets.

First off, let us ignore the fact that analogizing any US state to a foreign country like Egypt or China is a absurd on its face.

Now then, to address the reason why it makes sense for an American figure to boycott a particular state because of that state's position on certain human rights while simultaneously being willing to engage with a foreign country that may have a similar or worse stance on that human rights. For some, the state's action against that human right may be viewed as more reprehensible specifically because it is being done to an American citizen as opposed to a foreign citizen. There is the fact that American citizens and corporations should hold American states to a higher standard than foreign nations. For others, they may view the state's action as being more susceptible to adjustments through economic boycott. A US State's citizens being deprived of an event or economic opportunity from a US citizen or corporation is probably more likely to result in political momentum from a publicly announced event like boycotting the state entirely whereas a foreign country may be more susceptible to reform through a more micro-based approach (like having a discussion during the event).

The point of the OP, if I understand his point correctly, is that he is not saying that NC and MS are equal to Saudi Arabia or China, but rather that those boycotting NC and MS for actions taken that are bad, but not near as bad as what China and Saudi Arabia do, are hypocrites for demonstrating selective outrage and selective morality if they also do business with and within Saudi Arabia and/or China while refusing to do business within NC or MS.

While I do not support the legislative actions of NC or MS, I also do not support the companies that boycott those states while doing business in countries that have worse human rights records than those two states.

This is why many of the positions being fought for (Black Lives Matter, LGBT rights activists, ect.) have a hard time getting support from the population at large - selective outrage - BLM protests, marches, shuts down GOP campaign rallies, and screams that black lives matter when a black person is shot or killed by a cop or a non-black person, but does not march through black neighborhoods or call for people in black neighborhoods to identify and testify against the blacks that are killing blacks in large number than any other group. The same is true about companies. If they do business in places like Saudi Arabia or China yet boycott doing business in NC or MS then they, too, are hypocrites and any legitimacy they may have held for boycotting a US state and their citizens is eliminated and negated by the hypocrisy.

First off, let us ignore the fact that analogizing any US state to a foreign country like Egypt or China is a absurd on its face.

Now then, to address the reason why it makes sense for an American figure to boycott a particular state because of that state's position on certain human rights while simultaneously being willing to engage with a foreign country that may have a similar or worse stance on that human rights. For some, the state's action against that human right may be viewed as more reprehensible specifically because it is being done to an American citizen as opposed to a foreign citizen. There is the fact that American citizens and corporations should hold American states to a higher standard than foreign nations. For others, they may view the state's action as being more susceptible to adjustments through economic boycott. A US State's citizens being deprived of an event or economic opportunity from a US citizen or corporation is probably more likely to result in political momentum from a publicly announced event like boycotting the state entirely whereas a foreign country may be more susceptible to reform through a more micro-based approach (like having a discussion during the event).

Just an observation - when you have to start a position by stating what has to be ignored to make your position valid, it renders anything that follows invalid by default.

However, the point of the OP is not to compare a US state to a foreign country, but rather to show the hypocritical way in which many that boycott the US states act by not being consistent in their feigned outrage while doing business with foreign nations that have worse human rights records than the states at which they focus their angst.

Back
Top Bottom