• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who's greedy again?

Who is more greedy?

• The 99% who work hard for their money

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • The 1% who earn from the labor of their emplyees

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • This poll is preposterous

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • No Opinion

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Everyone

Votes: 6 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Teh Internets

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
american-wealth-distribution1.png

the most greedy are those who want other people to pay for what they want or blame their own failures on others

the most greedy are those who want other people to pay for what they want or blame their own failures on others

actually thats the definition of covetousness.

actually thats the definition of avarice.

given how silly the poll is and how stupid the assumptions contained in the choices are why are you splitting hairs?

given how silly the poll is and how stupid the assumptions contained in the choices are why are you splitting hairs?

because words have meaning and if we assign a meaning to a word that it doesn't actually support, we have no argument.

Even more greedy than those who make millions by doing nothing other than playing the stock market and profiting off the work of their employees? I also recall they were more than to take the 700 billion dollars of welfare from the government. They are also very quick to blame government regulation on their failure. Strange...

Even more greedy than those who make millions by doing nothing other than playing the stock market and profiting off the work of their employees? I also recall they were more than to take the 700 billion dollars of welfare from the government. They are also very quick to blame government regulation on their failure. Strange...

you labor under the delusion that most or even a majority of those of us in the top one percent are like such a person. You also pretend that the bottom 99% all work hard for what they got when in reality more of them inherited wealth than the top one percent (but not as much) or are lazy or live on the dole etc

you labor under the delusion that most or even a majority of those of us in the top one percent are like such a person. You also pretend that the bottom 99% all work hard for what they got when in reality more of them inherited wealth than the top one percent (but not as much) or are lazy or live on the dole etc

The amount of wealth they inherited doesn't really matter because it's not enough to make a huge impact for a long amount of time. I'll grant you the fact that not all of the 1% is like this but the fact that a significant amount of people can do such things and get away with it sickens me.

You can be greedy at any income level.

The amount of wealth they inherited doesn't really matter because it's not enough to make a huge impact for a long amount of time. I'll grant you the fact that not all of the 1% is like this but the fact that a significant amount of people can do such things and get away with it sickens me.

Again, there is no evidence that a "significant" number of the people are like that. and without investment, many corporations would not exist

I believe they were loans that were paid back.

Again, there is no evidence that a "significant" number of the people are like that. and without investment, many corporations would not exist
Corporations are not an indispensable component of the economy (although they probably are an indispensable component of the GOP ;) ).

Greed can be aptly defined as "the love of money", as well as "desire for more than one's reasonable share" (that latter one should stir up some commentary ;) ).

Corporations are not an indispensable component of the economy (although they probably are an indispensable component of the GOP ;) ).

Greed can be aptly defined as "the love of money", as well as "desire for more than one's reasonable share" (that latter one should stir up some commentary ;) ).
I guess you want to live in Somalia or 13th century Poland?

Who's going to take the place of employing people if corporations and businesses no longer existed?

Who's going to take the place of employing people if corporations and businesses no longer existed?

The poll assumes the 1% are making labor jobs. That's unlikely and the real problem with the economy. Paper shuffling and moving money around instead of creating labor jobs. Hell, greed exists at every level. That's not the problem. It is a systemic failure in our Country. Corporatism and the banks have control and it's all about moving assets, not making work. For that matter, most people work for the gov't. That's a real downer. There is no support for making jobs at the company level, proprietorship level or entrepreneural level. The system is gamed to maintain the status quo distribution networks.

In truth, IMO, most all of us are greedy, some are much more so (conservatives with wealth).....

In truth, IMO, most all of us are greedy, some are much more so (conservatives with wealth).....
So individuals who want to keep as much of what they earned as possible are greedy, yet the elected officials who want more of someone else's earnings aren't? Greed is everywhere, and it isn't always an evil thing.

We live in a society that praises greed - we are all greedy. Until our economic system is not "greed" driven, what else can we expect but for the little guy to get screwed more often than not and for injustices to continue? But that fact that 10 of you voted that 99% of people who work hard for their money are greedy shows that 10 of you are political hacks and also assholes.

We live in a society that praises greed - we are all greedy. Until our economic system is not "greed" driven, what else can we expect but for the little guy to get screwed more often than not and for injustices to continue? But that fact that 10 of you voted that 99% of people who work hard for their money are greedy shows that 10 of you are political hacks and also assholes.

People have been "greedy" since before the North American continent was discovered by Europeans, people were "greedy" before East Asia was openly traded with, people are inherently "greedy" based on our evolution.

It's high time we stop pointing the finger at one person, persons and/or society.

People have been "greedy" since before the North American continent was discovered by Europeans, people were "greedy" before East Asia was openly traded with, people are inherently "greedy" based on our evolution.

It's high time we stop pointing the finger at one person, persons and/or society.

You think everyone is greedy? Yes, I think some people are inherently greedy, but capitalism admittedly pits one against another and is powered by greed, which in turn makes us all greedy. So, in that sense, I disagree with you. I do not believe that the average human being is greedy (and I think it is proven by studies such as the one done in this thread).

Last edited:
You think everyone is greedy? Yes, I think some people are greedy inherently, but capitalism admittedly pits one against another is powered by greed, which in turn makes us all greedy. So, in that sense, I disagree with you. I do not believe that the average human being is greedy (and I think it is proven by studies such as the one done in this thread).

Greed is wanting more than you need.
Most people don't need $75k a year.
Capitalism has been the default system of human trading of resources, since nearly the beginning.

The fact is that preservation and growth of material possessions is what makes humans pretty successful.
Before money it was other objects that represented wealth, including but not limited to, spices like salt, sugar, etc.

Humans, by default, are greedy because it allows us to live longer and be more secure as a species.

What I find interesting, is that people think this is all new.
Clearly it's not, otherwise we wouldn't be "greedy" in the first place.

Greed is wanting more than you need.
Most people don't need $75k a year.

Says who? You? Apparently wanting more than food, water, and shelter is greedy? No, greed is wanting more than you need at the expense of others. Without scarcity, greed would not exist.

Capitalism has been the default system of human trading of resources, since nearly the beginning.

I do not see how that makes an ounce of difference. The arcaness of system does neither to prove or disprove the validity of it.

The fact is that preservation and growth of material possessions is what makes humans pretty successful.
Before money it was other objects that represented wealth, including but not limited to, spices like salt, sugar, etc.

Humans, by default, are greedy because it allows us to live longer and be more secure as a species.

What I find interesting, is that people think this is all new.
Clearly it's not, otherwise we wouldn't be "greedy" in the first place.

I do not see any evidence that this argument is true - that unless we can amass insane amounts of wealth and goods, that we would all just be idle and do nothing. And I do not believe that you should be able to cite that as a truth unless you have some actual study or facts to back that up.

Says who? You? Apparently wanting more than food, water, and shelter is greedy? No, greed is wanting more than you need at the expense of others. Without scarcity, greed would not exist.

Says the definition, although it says an excessive want for more than you need, which is subjective.

If 5 billion pink ponies existed, we could all ride along happy as clams, farting rainbows.
Scarcity will exist until someone invents a replicator.

I do not see how that makes an ounce of difference. The arcaness of system does neither to prove or disprove the validity of it.

Actually it does prove the validity of it, because it's been insinuated that greed is some modern phenomena, when it isn't.
It developed naturally because humans created excess goods and traded it with others, who also had excess goods.

I do not see any evidence that this argument is true - that unless we can amass insane amounts of wealth and goods, that we would all just be idle and do nothing. And I do not believe that you should be able to cite that as a truth unless you have some actual study or facts to back that up.

Who said anything about idleness?
Having excess materials is a form of self insurance against loss, in future times.

Blame it on seasons.
Winter comes, food becomes scarce, people figured out ways to preserve excess sources of food, to last the winter.

Says the definition, although it says an excessive want for more than you need, which is subjective.

If 5 billion pink ponies existed, we could all ride along happy as clams, farting rainbows.
Scarcity will exist until someone invents a replicator.

Exactly, an excessive amount. You believe that $75k is an excessive amount? And of course, if 5 billion pink ponies existed, most people wouldn't have one because of greed, so no, we wouldn't all be riding them around while farting rainbows.

Actually it does prove the validity of it, because it's been insinuated that greed is some modern phenomena, when it isn't.
It developed naturally because humans created excess goods and traded it with others, who also had excess goods.

The ideas behind capitalism may have existed for ages, but it certainly hasn't been practiced that long. For instance, it wasn't but a few centuries ago that private property was even acceptable for the great masses of people in Europe.

Who said anything about idleness?
Having excess materials is a form of self insurance against loss, in future times.

Blame it on seasons.
Winter comes, food becomes scarce, people figured out ways to preserve excess sources of food, to last the winter.

Yes, "necessity is the mother of invention"... not "greed is the mother of invention". I don't recall ever hearing that.

Back
Top Bottom