• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Who's gouging the price of gas?

Who's Gouging the Price of Gas?

• "Big Oil"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Our beloved Government

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Our Middle Eastern buddies

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Donkey1499

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I've just worked on something here and I want y'all's input.

Friday, January 12, 2007

The Price of Big Water Compared to Big Oil
Current mood: accomplished
Category: News and Politics

Ok, I've been paying alot of attention to our economy news lately, and all I've been hearing is how "Big Oil" is supposedly gouging the prices at the pump. Now, that is certainly open to speculation, and not that just "Big Oil" is gouging, but our own government (due to taxes) and our Middle Eastern "buddies" who are actually doing the price gouging; but I'll get into that later.Is what I want to touch base on is the price of drinking water.

Now, how many of us have purchased a 20 oz. bottle of water, such as Dasani or Aquafina, from a soda machine? It's about $1.25, right? For only 20 stinkin' ounces. Wanna know how much a 20 ounce bottle of gasoline would cost (if figuring the cost per gallon was $2.25)? $.032.... Yes, ladies and gents, a 20 oz. bottle of gasoline would cost a measley thirty-two cents. A Washington, a Jefferson and two copper Lincolns. Oh, how much for a gallon of Dasani drinking water you ask? I'll be glad to fill you in. $8.75 per gallon; more than double the cost of a gallon of gasoline.

I also did the math and figured out how much a 50 gallon drum of water would cost. Now, a 50 gallon drum of oil is around $62.50 (once again figuring that the price per gallon of gas is $2.25, you multiply that by 50, which gets you $112.50 of refined oil [gasoline]. Unrefined, I subtracted $50 from the cost to refine it and I got $62.50). Doing the same math with a gallon of water, a 50 gallon drum water is $387.50 (figuring a gallon of purified drinking water is $8.75, you multiply that by 50 and get $437.50. Then you subtract 50 from purification procedures and get $387.50 for un-purified water. Knowing that Dasani uses city water thats been run through charcoal filters).

So my next question is, who the hell is really gouging prices? If you take that $1.25 20 oz. bottle of Dasani water and buy it in a gas station, you have to pay an addtional sales tax. (I'm going to use the Florida sales tax rate, which is 7%, for this example). A 20 ounce bottle of water at a gas station now costs from $1.25 in the machine to $1.59 in the store. More freaking taxes!

Now, back to the argument in my first paragraph. "Big Oil" isn't gougning the prices. Especially since they reportedly only receive $0.08 for every gallon of gas they sell (assume someone buys 20 gallons of gas for $2.25 per gallon. "Big Oil" makes $0.08, while the IRS makes $2.17, for one gallon. After 20 gallons bought? "Big Oil" gets $1.60 in revenue. The IRS gets $43.40. [Just do 2.25 - 0.08 = 2.17; and 0.08 x 20 = 1.6; and 2.17 x 20 = 43.4]). The IRS gets $43.40 compared to "Big Oil's" $1.60 and "Big Oil" is the one price gouging??? Bullshit, something here ain't right and the accusations don't match the facts!

It's our government, ladies and gents, who's gouging the price of gas and they're using that money for welfare, special interests (like the ACLU), and other "pork barrel projects". So I hope people read this and wise up to the facts that our government is once again trying to nickle-n'-dime us.

I hate math, but I can't help but do one more bit of it. Now assume 1 million people buy 20 gallons of gas each today at about $2.25 per gallon. That's $2,250,000.00 spent on gas. How much does "Big Oil" get from that? They get about: $80,000. How much does our beloved IRS get? They get about: $2,170,000.00. What's wrong with this picture? Eighty thousand dollars compared to two million, one hundred seventy thousand dollars? You tell me "Big Oil" is price gouging and I'll tell you that pigs can fly. :roll:

No one's really gouging the price.

Our "Middle Eastern buddies," as you call them, are certainly trying to do so, through OPEC. But OPEC doesn't have as much economic power as it used to, so they can't really gouge the prices anymore.

Our own government is sort of inadvertently raising the price, by hording oil in reserves.

Big oil companies are definitely not doing anything to manipulate the market. They couldn't, even if they wanted to.

Having worked in the Energy business for many years, during which it was part of my job to actually run pigs through pipelines, I can tell you that when a Pig gets stuck in a pipeline close to the receiving trap, after trying all the 'safe' methods of getting Pig to move had failed, the door to the receiver was opened, the Pig (actually a 6" diameter tool comprising of 6 articulated sections giving a total length of some 7') came out of that pipe and FLEW through the air for over 150'.
Pigs can FLY.
Back to the thread, if u tink you have it hard in the US with gas prices being gouged by Federal Taxes, at least these are charged by the Gallon.
In the UK they currently pay around $1.8 / Litre, there are 4.546 Litres to 1 Gallon which works out at over $8 / Gallon.
Now that is Government price gouging, what the US Government is doing is merely playing at the game of price gouging, just wait until they start getting serious.

Back
Top Bottom