• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who's gonna stay up till midnight to watch C-Span go dark...for fun?

Will you be up to watch C-Span go dark?

• Yes.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • No.

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • I ain't got cable.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Smeagol

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
As much as people complain, I personally find entertainment value in a lot of these political wranglings. The 2000 Florida re-re-re-re-count was the best. How many generations get the watch a Presidential impeachment trial on TV? Seeing Obama win the Democrat nomination was a front row seat to history. I'll be honest and say I got choked up in 2009 when the Sargent of Arm of the House announced "Madam Speaker, The President of the United States" and seeing a black guy walk through the doors of the House chambers. And tonight, the Federal Government gets shut down. Anybody else think getting to see this history is entertaining or at least educational?

Last edited:
I'll be up because I usually am at that time. Though I'm going to stay up to watch King of the Hill go dark from Netflix, it's gets taken off the service at midnight :(

As much as people complain, I personally find entertainment value in a lot of these political wranglings. The 2000 Florida re-re-re-re-count was the best. How many generations get the watch a Presidential impeachment trial on TV? Seeing Obama win the Democrat nomination was a front row seat to history. I'll be honest and say I got choked up in 2009 when the Sargent of Arm of the House announced "Madam Speaker, The President of the United States" and seeing a black guy walk through the doors of the House chambers. And tonight, the Federal Government gets shut down. Anybody else think getting to see this history is entertaining o at least educational?

Trying to recall how many times I have seen this occur before I had to resort to some quick research ( knowing the gov. has shut down too many times for me to accurately say ) ... I found this will be the EIGHTEENTH time in THIRTY YEARS.....

Its akin to watching a re-run of "Gone With The Wind" for the eighteenth time... I already know the ending... nothing spectacular will happen again this time. :mrgreen:

Have a pleasant eve, Smeagol

Thom Paine
Post script: :doh oops.. to answer your question... entertaining in a way; educational in an entertaining way :roll:

Trying to recall how many times I have seen this occur before I had to resort to some quick research ( knowing the gov. has shut down too many times for me to accurately say ) ... I found this will be the EIGHTEENTH time in THIRTY YEARS.....

Its akin to watching a re-run of "Gone With The Wind" for the eighteenth time... I already know the ending... nothing spectacular will happen again this time. :mrgreen:

Have a pleasant eve, Smeagol

Thom Paine
Post script: :doh oops.. to answer your question... entertaining in a way; educational in an entertaining way :roll:

I thought it was the second time, the first being in the 90s. Someone at work told me Tip O'Neil shut down the government 8 times in all, way before my time though.

I'll be up because I usually am at that time. Though I'm going to stay up to watch King of the Hill go dark from Netflix, it's gets taken off the service at midnight :(

My life was ruined when Fox cancelled Terra Nova. Shelley Conn was in love with me and I'm a sci-fi nut. Oh well, hopefully she was able to move on without the brother who says check one two. :cool:

Last edited:
I won't stay up to watch C-span, but I may stay up until midnight to chat with one of my favorite people. I'll never notice what happens in politics. :lol:

I thought it was the second time, the first being in the 90s. Someone at work told me Tip O'Neil shut down the government 8 times in all, way before my time though.

Oh Tip... now he was entertainment... quite the pol and finagler; maybe the last of the old Democratic Party. Fight toe to toe, getting politically bloody then negotiate a solution. He was not above basic skullduggery of reneging on a deal once in awhile; love him or hate him he was entertaining.

Good eve sir

Thom Paine

As much as people complain, I personally find entertainment value in a lot of these political wranglings. The 2000 Florida re-re-re-re-count was the best. How many generations get the watch a Presidential impeachment trial on TV? Seeing Obama win the Democrat nomination was a front row seat to history. I'll be honest and say I got choked up in 2009 when the Sargent of Arm of the House announced "Madam Speaker, The President of the United States" and seeing a black guy walk through the doors of the House chambers. And tonight, the Federal Government gets shut down. Anybody else think getting to see this history is entertaining or at least educational?
You just listed non-events, not hostory. The moon landing was history. The Berlin wall comming down was history. The fall of the Soviet Empire was history.

No I will not be watching because I have a job and have to be up in the morning.

Hey is there a live thread for this? :popcorn2: Where we can start placing bets and stuff? (Figuratively speaking about those bets, of course.)

This is the 17th time since 1976 that the federal government has shut down.

It's no biggie unless your one of the uninformed. It happens all of the time.

bvsf1-pcuaa_qdp.jpg

I ended up crashing but set my DVR to record 11pm to 1am. Lo and behlod, C-Span did not go off the air...and we all know why. C-Span is an essential government service and is unquestionably necessary for this county to operate!

I ended up crashing but set my DVR to record 11pm to 1am. Lo and behlod, C-Span did not go off the air...and we all know why. C-Span is an essential government service and is unquestionably necessary for this county to operate!

:mrgreen: Aaaaaah, "the end of the world as we know it" humor abounds from D.C. does it not? This A.M. 'stale joke number two' jumped from the headlines ( I didn't read the entire article, sure that it was a reprint from a few years ago ), "800,000 non-essential Feds to be furloughed" ! The sad quizzical punchline being.....
If they are not essential why are they employed ?? :thinking :screwy

Just more D.C. humor at our expense, I guess .... If ya' can't get the job accomplished at least be entertaining. :mrgreen:

Keep smiling all, I suspect we'll be okay in spite of ourselves.

G'day Smeagol

Thom Paine

C-SPAN isn't a government operation, it's a private enterprise.

>>>>

C-SPAN isn't a government operation, it's a private enterprise.

>>>>

Really? Ya learn stuff all the time. I thought it was run by Congress. Thanks.

Now that I think about it it makes sense.

This is the 17th time since 1976 that the federal government has shut down.

It's no biggie unless your one of the uninformed. It happens all of the time.

View attachment 67154371

Can someone answer a dumb question of mine? If the government operates on a fixed budgetary calender how is it that government shutdown 'start' dates can vary so much? Shouldn't they all start at roughly the same time and day when the previous years budgetary authorization runs out?

Can someone answer a dumb question of mine? If the government operates on a fixed budgetary calender how is it that government shutdown 'start' dates can vary so much? Shouldn't they all start at roughly the same time and day when the previous years budgetary authorization runs out?

Continuing resolutions that temporarily fund the government during times of negotiations. If no temporary measure is passed then the funding lapses.

>>>>

What you have to look for is real leadership from the White House during any shutdown of government. During the Reagan administration there were eight shut downs (correct me if I'm wrong) Most lasted one day and none more than three days.

Lets watch how competent Obama is dealing with this shut down. So far it looks like Obama refuses to negotiate with the Republicans in the House and has already gone on television twice with in 24 hours whining to the American people.

I wouldn't call it entertaining myself. Educational? Sure. Everything is educational when seen in the right point of view.

Back
Top Bottom