• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Who's a Christian, Catholic, etc.. pro- choice supporter

Fantasea said:
Aren't you the guy who was just moaning about how terrible it would be if you lost your son before he had a chance to have a family? And how it would ruin your whole life?

Well, there are fifty million of these sad cases. And I'll bet you're against the death penalty for persons convicted of a capital crime. I think you use the term hypocritical quite often in your posts, too.

You say you applaud Roe v. Wade. Have you even read it?

Huh? I believe that a woman's choice about her body is the deciding factor. You do not, so we disagree. My argument is that abortion is legal so calling abortion murder is BS. If someone needs a respirator to survive and you remove the respirator does that make you a murderer? An unborn fetus at, i.e. 3 months would die if removed from its respirator. For the sake of this discussion, let's say that the person who's removed from the respirator doesn't have a living will but their closest relative by law decides to remove the respirator. That is legal.

Now let's say that the mother (closest relative by law) removes the fetus from her internal respirator, legally.

What's the difference?

BTW - Comparing my example of a psychopathic murderer violently killing people to a woman who's having an abortion just shows me, again, how warped some people's reality is and the extremes that some people will go to perpetuate their illogical argument.

I'm really sick of reading that an abortion is murder because its not. You are free to feel what you want, but your extreme point of view doesn't change the fact that abortion is legal, and that in the eyes of the law and in the eyes of the majority of Americans abortion is not murder.

It all comes down to personal choice, something that some people, more often Republicans rather than Democrats, believe is not up to the individual. These people want to make the choice for you, they want to control you. That is about as UN-American as it can get, and yes, it does remind some of us of other times in history when zealots ruled countries by removing the people's right to choose for themselves...and those countries are the darkside of world history...so maybe one of these days the Republicans who feel they have the authority to tell their fellow Americans what they can and cannot do will wake up and realize that their controlling point of view is a lot closer to Nazi Germany than it is to Free America....

:rwbdonkey :rwbelepha

Last edited:
ShamMol said:
No offense, but Paragraph 2 of section b is the worst thing to cite for you for one main reason. it isn't controlling-it is state court where the supreme court of the united states trumps it.

Quote:
Texas urges that, apart from the Fourteenth Amendment, life begins at conception and is present throughout pregnancy, and that, therefore, the State has a compelling interest in protecting that life from and after conception. We need not resolve the difficult question of when life begins. When those trained in the respective disciplines of medicine, philosophy, and theology are unable to arrive at any consensus, the judiciary, at this point in the development of man's knowledge, is not in a position to speculate as to the answer.

They don't speculate as to an answer, but they do in roe v. wade set the limit at 3 months until states can regulate abortion (you shoudl read what they can do...fascinating). People don't agree and never will.

If you skip down to Is a fetus a person in this article (the rest is complete drivle, trust me) it is quite interesting...actually most of it is drivle too...hell, read it and laugh with me, they make a mockery of pro-choice.

Actually, it is only the wording in Section IX B Paragraph 2 which permitted the Justices to rule that abortion could be legal. What it says, in simpler terms, is that we really don't know what is going on inside the womb. We don't know if it is really a live human being. And because we don't know, we'll permit abortion.

If, on the other hand, the Justices agreed with Texas that there was, indeed, a live human being in the womb, how could they have permitted that human being to be summarily killed? They couldn't.

So, they did the next best thing, they copped out by saying that, and here come the really important words, "AT THIS POINT in the development of man's knowledge, is not in a position to speculate as to the answer."

If Justice Blackmun had the opportunity to be present at a twenty-first century full color live motion real time ultra-sound scan of his pregnant daughter's baby cavorting in the womb, and was even able to observe its gender, could he possibly have written the word "speculate"? Certainly not.

If he had access to the twenty-first century research findings of world-class geneticists whose work has led to knowledge, understandings and proofs that were never even dreamed in 1973, could he possibly have written the word "speculate"? Certainly not.

If he knew that 'preemies' weighing less than twelve ounces routinely survive and thrive, that surgeons open the womb, reach inside, and perform surgical procedures to correct birth defects, that the incidence of death of women in childbirth rounds to a statistical percentage of zero because it is far less than one percent, could he possibly have written the word "speculate"? Certainly not.

Well, in 1973, he did the best he could with the extant knowledge available to him. He passed the buck to a later court at a later time. Isn't that what his words say?

This is now 2005 and the development of man's knowledge has increased exponentially, has it not? There is nothing left to question. The time has come to recognize the truth, step out from behind Justice Blackmun's words and accept the fact that today, there is no longer a need for speculation.

Geneticists, through their brilliant research into DNA have discovered that at the moment that the twenty three chromosomes from sperm unite with the twenty three chromosomes in an ovum, a new, unique living human being is concieved. It is distinct from both of its parents in that is has its own specific identity, its own DNA, and may be of either gender.

This has been confirmed thousands of times through the the in-vitro process which in which eggs fertilized in a petri dish,then implanted in a womb, produce a baby which is indistinguishable from one resulting from sexual intercourse.

While it occupies the womb as a place of warmth, safety, and shelter while receiving nourishment from the host mother, the child is a totally separate and fully distinct person. Not only does the mother supply these things to the baby during the first nine months of its life, but must continue to provide these necessities to the child for quite a few years after it emerges from the womb.

I believe that any argument, Pro-Life or Pro-Choice which is not based solely upon fact is worthless. Religion and emotion have no place in these discussions. They simply confuse the issue.

Would you favor me with comments restricted to the above and cite the areas of agreement as well as disagreement. In the case of disagreement, it would be helpful to avoid statements based on emotion and elaborate factually.

Fantasea said:
If he knew that 'preemies' weighing less than twelve ounces routinely survive and thrive.

I would love to see where your facts are on this? "Routinely" is defined as:

rou·tine n.

1. A prescribed, detailed course of action to be followed regularly; a standard procedure.

Please prove to us that 12 ounce preemies regularly survive and in your words: "thrive."

You're the king of generalizations and untruths. Please show us your facts on your outrageous statement?

Please also tell us how much it costs for one 12 ounce preemie to "routinely" survive and thrive? What are the medical costs?

You say medical cost doesn't matter? Ask Bush about that? We all know about his "choose life" law that he signed as Governor of Texas allowing hospitals to unplug a patients life support after ten days if they can't pay for it.....

26 X World Champs said:
I would love to see where your facts are on this? "Routinely" is defined as:

Please prove to us that 12 ounce preemies regularly survive and in your words: "thrive."

You're the king of generalizations and untruths. Please show us your facts on your outrageous statement?
Smallest Baby to Survive in New Jersey – Second Smallest in the Nation – Born at Saint Barnabas Medical Center.

Weighing only 11 ounces (320 grams) twin Tyler Martin of Gillette was born at 23-weeks gestation and cared for in the hospitals Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) for five months. The smallest baby to survive nationally, who weighed 10 ounces, (280 grams) was three weeks older than the Martin baby.

Smallest baby to live: Born 8.6 oz.

December 21, 2004

BY LISA DONOVAN Staff Reporter Advertisement

She was born the size of a cell phone, weighing just 8.6 ounces, but Rumaisa Rahman now holds the new world record for the smallest baby ever to survive, according to her very proud doctors at Loyola University Medical Center.

Here are a few I found quickly. Go do your own searches for the details.
Please also tell us how much it costs for one 12 ounce preemie to "routinely" survive and thrive? What are the medical costs?

You say medical cost doesn't matter?
What is the value of a life? More specifically, what dollar value would you place on your own life?
Ask Bush about that? We all know about his "choose life" law that he signed as Governor of Texas allowing hospitals to unplug a patients life support after ten days if they can't pay for it.....
What does a state governor's actions have to do with this discussion?

By the way, since you questioned only one small part of my post, do I understand correctly that you have accept the remainder with whidh you have not disagreed?

26 X World Champs said:
Yep. "Huh" sounds about right for you.
I believe that a woman's choice about her body is the deciding factor. You do not, so we disagree.
You can believe anything you wish. I'll bet that you even believed that after being 3 and 0 against the Red Sox, the Yanks could never lose four in a row. Right? So it would appear that just because YOU believe something doesn't mean that you're right. Right?
My argument is that abortion is legal so calling abortion murder is BS.
I take exception to your using the word "murder" in a context that makes it appear that I used it. If you paid attention to the post to which you're responding, you would realize that I don't use the word "murder" in connection with abortion. If you think you may have difficulty in remembering that, why not write it down.
If someone needs a respirator to survive and you remove the respirator does that make you a murderer? An unborn fetus at, i.e. 3 months would die if removed from its respirator. For the sake of this discussion, let's say that the person who's removed from the respirator doesn't have a living will but their closest relative by law decides to remove the respirator. That is legal.
Now let's say that the mother (closest relative by law) removes the fetus from her internal respirator, legally.

What's the difference?
The difference is that you don't seem to appreciate the difference between an apple and an orange.

BTW - Comparing my example of a psychopathic murderer violently killing people to a woman who's having an abortion just shows me, again, how warped some people's reality is and the extremes that some people will go to perpetuate their illogical argument.
Where did this nonsense come from?
I'm really sick of reading that an abortion is murder because its not.
I'm sorry to learn of your illness. May I suggest that you see a doctor? But, not an abortionist.
You are free to feel what you want, but your extreme point of view doesn't change the fact that abortion is legal, and that in the eyes of the law and in the eyes of the majority of Americans abortion is not murder.
Nor does it change the fact that every abortion kills a child. A child whose only offense is showing up at an inopportune time.
It all comes down to personal choice, something that some people, more often Republicans rather than Democrats, believe is not up to the individual.
Should people have the right to choose whether a child should live or die?
These people want to make the choice for you, they want to control you. That is about as UN-American as it can get,
Wanting to protect the lives of children in the womb is, in your eyes, un-American. Is that correct?
and yes, it does remind some of us of other times in history when zealots ruled countries by removing the people's right to choose for themselves...and those countries are the darkside of world history...so maybe one of these days the Republicans who feel they have the authority to tell their fellow Americans what they can and cannot do will wake up and realize that their controlling point of view is a lot closer to Nazi Germany than it is to Free America....
Wow. What a guy. After the Red Sox kicked your butt, you begin to sound off like a Patriot.

stephan said:
anamoly,
Speaking of rich, white males, it is the rich white male doctors who don't inform woman of the severe health risks of abortion, nor do they go out of their way to show a woman an ultrasound. Why do you think that is? Their is a lot of money made off of the exploitation of women.

Also, I noticed you mention the killing of 20,000 Iraqis. How come you didn't mention how many Iraqis Saddam has killed?
First, I can't help what the doctor's do. But to take away a woman's right of an abortion completely is certainly not helping her. Perhaps the government should step in to educate the public on abortion's health risks. But to outlaw abortion completely does not help women.

About Saddam, how many did he kill (I don't really know)? And do you realize that his murders had dropped in number before we arrived? If you're trying to turn Iraq into a 'humanitarian' campaign, I'll gladly debate you and prove you wrong. But not here, if you wish to debate it, make a post in the war on terror forum.

anomaly said:
But to take away a woman's right of an abortion completely is certainly not helping her. Perhaps the government should step in to educate the public on abortion's health risks. But to outlaw abortion completely does not help women.
What are the ways that abortion helps women?

Fantasea said:
Perhaps you should ask the women having abortions.

Fantasea said:
Smallest Baby to Survive in New Jersey – Second Smallest in the Nation – Born at Saint Barnabas Medical Center.

Weighing only 11 ounces (320 grams) twin Tyler Martin of Gillette was born at 23-weeks gestation and cared for in the hospitals Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) for five months. The smallest baby to survive nationally, who weighed 10 ounces, (280 grams) was three weeks older than the Martin baby.
You wrote that preemies "ROUTINELY SURVIVE & THRIVE." This 'proof' of yours has nothing to do with "ROUTINELY SURVIVE & THRIVE." It's another example of your BS. You know what is "ROUTINE" for you? To make crass generalizations that only prove how wrong you are. Good job!

:thinking

26 X World Champs said:
You wrote that preemies "ROUTINELY SURVIVE & THRIVE." This 'proof' of yours has nothing to do with "ROUTINELY SURVIVE & THRIVE." It's another example of your BS. You know what is "ROUTINE" for you? To make crass generalizations that only prove how wrong you are. Good job!

:thinking
Your the one with the Yogi Berra quote. Here's another of his, "Ya could look it up." Take his advice.

Originally Posted by 26 X World Champs
Fantasea said:
Your the one with the Yogi Berra quote. Here's another of his, "Ya could look it up." Take his advice.
Yeah, just what I thought. You have zero evidence to back up your bluster that 12 ounce preemies ROUTINELY SURVIVE and THRIVE. You know, when I'm wrong I find it cleansing to admit that I was mistaken. Might be something for you to consider? You might learn something....

:wassat1:

anomaly said:
Perhaps you should ask the women having abortions.
It is your statement, isn't it? Why are you unable to answer the question?

*Note, that's not to say I agree or disagree with those points. Those are just some that have been proffered.

Fantasea said:
This is now 2005 and the development of man's knowledge has increased exponentially, has it not? There is nothing left to question. The time has come to recognize the truth, step out from behind Justice Blackmun's words and accept the fact that today, there is no longer a need for speculation.

Agreed. It seems silly for judges to "speculate" on whether or not there is a live child in the womb. Can you "speculate" whether or not there is a God? Well, its tough, but its so vague. Placing important life-changing decisions on this "speculation" which really has no logical, factual, or even emotional value, seems to be misguided.

Fantesea said:
Geneticists, through their brilliant research into DNA have discovered that at the moment that the twenty three chromosomes from sperm unite with the twenty three chromosomes in an ovum, a new, unique living human being is concieved. It is distinct from both of its parents in that is has its own specific identity, its own DNA, and may be of either gender.

Yes, this is true, it IS a living being once the egg is fertilized by the sperm, but how many living beings do we have on this earth that we routinely use for bait, for lab testing, or for farm labor. I feel it is more important to know at what point the embryo becomes a human. There is tons of biological evidence that our embryos look and act similar to reptiles, birds, and other mammals in the early stages of development. In fact, this is one of the many arguments supporting evolution. But when does the embryo become a conscious, logical human? Can we ever know?

Fantesea said:
I believe that any argument, Pro-Life or Pro-Choice which is not based solely upon fact is worthless. Religion and emotion have no place in these discussions. They simply confuse the issue.

Right on. I feel like many Pro-Life and Pro-Choice supporters do not take into the fact that they will never agree if they base the argument on religion and emotion. Even if its based on logic, I feel like some will always believe an embryo is a human, and others will always believe that an embryo doesn't develop its "humanness" until later. These are very important questions that are often left out of the argument.

Religious believers certainly are entitled to faith and opinion in what they believe, but it should not be the basis for laws that all Americans must abide by. Adding religion into political battles is a mistake they made just prior to the Thirty Years War in Europe, and wow did they pay for it.

Here's one more thing I'm going to propose: If people of different religious and personal beliefs will never agree, shouldn't Americans be entitled to decide on their own whether or not an embryo is a "human" and whether or not abortion is murder? Should politicians be meddling in such a personal issue? To rephrase that, is there any sort of objective, factual, or logical basis on which politicians can clearly define (not merely "speculate") whether or not abortion is OK? Or are the only arguments for/against abortion subjective, based on individual opinion and beliefs? Are DNA and biological arguments enough "fact" to define what a human is and when we actually become "humans"?

Fantasea said:
Translation: I don't know. But I thought it sounded smart.
Gee, Fant, your responses just get funnier and funnier! Tell me, have you lost all ability to think and reason yet? Oh but please do continue with these fantastic one liners, and you great 'translations'!

Unfortunately, your translation is wrong. I meant exactly what I said. If you want to end all abortions on some fantastic crusade, why do you even bother debating with men? You realize that Roe v. Wade being completely overturned any time soon is about as likely as Mexico suddenly falling into the sea? If you wish to end abortion, if you feel that a woman's choice is so terribly wrong, go talk to those women. You can throw your cute one liners at me all you want, but I can assure you, you aren't making any progress.

AHSPolitician[ said:
QUOTE]
Originally Posted by Fantasea
Agreed. It seems silly for judges to "speculate" on whether or not there is a live child in the womb. Can you "speculate" whether or not there is a God? Well, its tough, but its so vague. Placing important life-changing decisions on this "speculation" which really has no logical, factual, or even emotional value, seems to be misguided.
The speculation argument took place in 1973. It could not reasonably be made in 2005.

What makes you think that dragging a red herring across the trail improves the quality of the discussion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantesea
Yes, this is true, it IS a living being once the egg is fertilized by the sperm, but how many living beings do we have on this earth that we routinely use for bait, for lab testing, or for farm labor. I feel it is more important to know at what point the embryo becomes a human. There is tons of biological evidence that our embryos look and act similar to reptiles, birds, and other mammals in the early stages of development. In fact, this is one of the many arguments supporting evolution. But when does the embryo become a conscious, logical human? Can we ever know?
Are these your own thoughts? Or, is their some fact that you have which refutes the research findings of world renowned professionals in the fields of medicine, obstetrics, and geneticists? If so, why not share it.
Right on. I feel like many Pro-Life and Pro-Choice supporters do not take into the fact that they will never agree if they base the argument on religion and emotion. Even if its based on logic, I feel like some will always believe an embryo is a human, and others will always believe that an embryo doesn't develop its "humanness" until later. These are very important questions that are often left out of the argument.
The vast majority of those on each side are totally ignorant of any facts and simply conduct emotional rants. What does it matter what ignorant people believe? Whether a child in the womb lives or dies should not depend on a belief. It should depend solely on fact; not emotion. Have you done any research on the subject? If not; why not?
Religious believers certainly are entitled to faith and opinion in what they believe, but it should not be the basis for laws that all Americans must abide by. Adding religion into political battles is a mistake they made just prior to the Thirty Years War in Europe, and wow did they pay for it.
Earlier, you seemed to agree with me that religion has no place in the discussion. Abortion is best viewed as a simple, dispassionate, secular question.
Here's one more thing I'm going to propose: If people of different religious and personal beliefs will never agree, shouldn't Americans be entitled to decide on their own whether or not an embryo is a "human" and whether or not abortion is murder? Should politicians be meddling in such a personal issue? To rephrase that, is there any sort of objective, factual, or logical basis on which politicians can clearly define (not merely "speculate") whether or not abortion is OK? Or are the only arguments for/against abortion subjective, based on individual opinion and beliefs?
You have repeated this thought in several different ways. My answer is still the same, but in order to conform the the form of your question, I'll phrase it differently. A vote to determine when human life begins will not determine when human life begins.
Are DNA and biological arguments enough "fact" to define what a human is and when we actually become "humans"?
It's not 'arguments', it's the results of modern research. I say the proof is in. You apparently do not agree.

Have you done any of your own investigation? If so, what did you learn? If not; why not? One way or the other, wouldn't you want to be fully informed on the subject?

anomaly said:
Gee, Fant, your responses just get funnier and funnier! Tell me, have you lost all ability to think and reason yet? Oh but please do continue with these fantastic one liners, and you great 'translations'!

Unfortunately, your translation is wrong. I meant exactly what I said. If you want to end all abortions on some fantastic crusade, why do you even bother debating with men? You realize that Roe v. Wade being completely overturned any time soon is about as likely as Mexico suddenly falling into the sea? If you wish to end abortion, if you feel that a woman's choice is so terribly wrong, go talk to those women. You can throw your cute one liners at me all you want, but I can assure you, you aren't making any progress.
I can't understand why you continue to eat up valuable bandwidth with futile attempts at juvenile taunts. Nothing better to do, I guess.

Originally Posted by anomaly
But to take away a woman's right of an abortion completely is certainly not helping her. Perhaps the government should step in to educate the public on abortion's health risks. But to outlaw abortion completely does not help women.

shuamort said:
The 'headline' is enough. Can we next expect someone to make a case for gassing the ghettos in the US as an enlightened crime prevention technique?
This 'headline' is also enough. Keep your enemy from reproducing and in a generation or two, there'll be no enemy left.
URL=http://www.clas.ufl.edu/boards/owl/flap/messages/788.html]“Legal abortion helps parents limit their families to a number of children they want and can afford”[/URL]
So, what is the economic value one places on the life of a dead child
I didn't bother to read this one either. The laws did lock up the so-called back-alley butchers, who, by the way, were infinitesimal in number compared to today's army of clinically clean, efficient, and prolific butchers who have run the score up to nearly fifty million in the US since Roe v. Wade, and have done very well, economically.

Fantasea said:
I can't understand why you continue to eat up valuable bandwidth with futile attempts at juvenile taunts. Nothing better to do, I guess.
Man, you're the definition of hypocrisy! Wasting bandwidth with juvenile tuanits you say? Shall we review some of your zingers from the last week:

Fantasea said:
I'm sorry to learn of your illness. May I suggest that you see a doctor? But, not an abortionist.
Fantasea said:
Wow. What a guy. After the Red Sox kicked your butt, you begin to sound off like a Patriot
Fantasea said:
Since you like to play with word things so much, why don't you just go and play with your .................................................. .................Funk & Wagnall's.
Fantasea said:
Did I say that? I must be losing my marbles; I can't even imagine making such a statement, dogmatic little doggie that I am.
Fantasea said:
I'd just love to see a complete list of all things you find wierd. :doh

Fantasea said:
I didn't bother to read this one either. The laws did lock up the so-called back-alley butchers, who, by the way, were infinitesimal in number compared to today's army of clinically clean, efficient, and prolific butchers who have run the score up to nearly fifty million in the US since Roe v. Wade, and have done very well, economically.
Nearly 50 million? Even the anti-abortion website states it as 47,197,725 (at the time of this post).
If every life is so precious, one would think you'd be more careful with your numbers. 2.8 million is more than the entire population of Kansas.

26 X World Champs said:
Man, you're the definition of hypocrisy! Wasting bandwidth with juvenile tuanits you say? Shall we review some of your zingers from the last week:
Here's another.

The Yankees home opener looked like a continuation of the World Series, didn't it? The Red Sox creamed 'em 8 to 1. You must be in agony.

shuamort said:
Nearly 50 million? Even the anti-abortion website states it as 47,197,725 (at the time of this post).
If every life is so precious, one would think you'd be more careful with your numbers. 2.8 million is more than the entire population of Kansas.
I'm happy to see that I inspired you to do a little fact checking. By the way, that number is also greater than the entire population of England according to its latest census.

If you're not being facetious, I think you will agree that 47.2 million can be described as "nearly fifty million".

Back
Top Bottom