• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Whos a better chance at winning the swing states? Republicans or Democrats?

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
What Republican and Democrat nominees? Trump or Cruz vs Sanders or Hillary?

They all suck.

As I see it.

Trump has a female and minority problem.. and an independent problem. Basically he can only count on the core anti-establishment people on the right.
Cruz has a minority and independent problem.. he is too far right. He might claim to be latino, but he wont win the latino vote.
Sanders has a minority problem and may be too far left for independents.
Hilary has problems all over the place, but should win any minority vote. One thing that Hilary has going for her.. is she is certainly the most vetted candidate out there...

If it is Trump vs Hilary.. Minorities and females will flock to Hilary to avoid getting Trump. Independents would most likely also flock to Hilary as the "devil we know" candidate. Trumps organisation and lack of control will cost him in a general election. And this is despite the bagage that Hilary has. Trumps attacks on Hilary for just being a woman is clearly turning even some of his backers off. His lack of control and wild comments will doom him. And if you do a basic electoral map math, then Trump wont win California or New York. He aint a given in Ohio and certainly not in Florida. Hell all the swing states he is not exactly the best candidate.

Cruz vs Hilary.. Cruz dont stand a chance. He might get the conservative vote, but once the independents get a wiff of his actual policies and attitude then well. Again a "devil we know" scenario. He wont win the minority vote that is for sure. His policies on most issues are also at odds with the majority US population. Electoral map wise, he has no chance.. too many states he must win and he wont. If he cant beat Trump in the south, then he got no hope.

Trump vs Sanders. This is an interesting one. One is crazy and the other is very left wing (for US politics). Both are going after the anti-establishment votes. It would come down to turnout. The irony is, that I doubt the conservative movement would come out in droves to defeat Sanders, where as if it was against Hilary then they would. Question is who the independents would vote for.. I suspect Sanders as he might be left wing but he is no where near as crazy as Trump. Electoral vote wise, Sanders has a much easier way to the win than Trump. Sanders wont win the south but he wont need too if he grabs Florida or/and Ohio. But the most interesting combo.

Cruz vs Sanders. Sanders hands down. He might be left wing, but all of Trumps voters would flock to him as they see Cruz part of the establishment and bat crazy. Ted Cruz is simply a poor candidate... he makes Romney look like a rock star.

I live in a neighborhood that is almost exclusively Sanders supporters. They are pissed off. EVERY single one of them has said that if Hillary takes the primary they're voting for, you guessed it - Trump. The arch conservatives I know support Cruz. But every single one of them has said they will vote Trump if he wins the nomination.

And Kasich, when all is said and done, will throw his full support behind Trump when he takes the nomination.

My prediction: this general election will end up looking a lot like Reagan's first election. With Trump playing Reagan.

It is Trump vs Clinton.

Sanders has pretty much but all publicly conceded. Cruz and Kasich are out of it and will probably both join the carnival circuit working the penny toss.

Between Trump and Clinton I believe Clinton has it. Not looking forward to having to hear her voice for next 4 years. Trump's repeated anthem that he doesn't know the answer but is going to study it just doesn't cut it.
Instead of knowing any more about Trump we should know his advisors as that will be who will run the country if he got elected.

I live in a neighborhood that is almost exclusively Sanders supporters. They are pissed off. EVERY single one of them has said that if Hillary takes the primary they're voting for, you guessed it - Trump. The arch conservatives I know support Cruz. But every single one of them has said they will vote Trump if he wins the nomination.

I'm hearing a lot of this too, but once you get the GOP talking about policies and not public personas, the Bernie voters will come around. Trump and Bernie couldn't be further apart on the issues and after the issue is decided in June (all this talk of a contested democratic convention is just pandering) there will be 5 solid months of the right-wing DUMPING on all the democratic/Bernie policies and positions and they'll recognize that Clinton is their only chance at stopping that from happening.

I don't know why anyone would object to getting a photo ID; they're required in so many places these days that I don't know how anyone manages without one! Our BMV will issue one to anyone who asks, at no cost. If you are trying to get a driver's license, you will have to pay for the costs associated with that, though, but just for a photo ID, nope! This has been a requirement to vote in Ohio for years, and where I live, even though we know each other because we're all neighbors, we still have to show our ID to comply with Ohio law! :mrgreen:

I don't know why anyone would object to getting a photo ID; they're required in so many places these days that I don't know how anyone manages without one! Our BMV will issue one to anyone who asks, at no cost. If you are trying to get a driver's license, you will have to pay for the costs associated with that, though, but just for a photo ID, nope! This has been a requirement to vote in Ohio for years, and where I live, even though we know each other because we're all neighbors, we still have to show our ID to comply with Ohio law! :mrgreen:

I agree.

I think this will all depend on the complete tickets. And this is yet another reason why general election polling during the primaries is so unreliable. Choosing Cheney (and Cheney's performance in debates) won the election for Bush. We'll start to see a more complete picture after the nominees have completed their tickets.

What Republican and Democrat nominees? Trump or Cruz vs Sanders or Hillary?

Clinton, hands down, since Trump and Cruz are the possible Republican candidates. Also, the country is leaning democratic these days, because the Republicans have gone so far right and negative. They have done nothing the last 8 years but obstruct, and now that is coming home to roost. The Republican Party is in deep trouble, as I see it. They are incapable of governing at this time.

Turnout is going to be the deciding factor. Hillary has none of the enthusiasm that drove people (especially minorities) to the polls for Obama. Perhaps she can make some of that back among anti-Trump Latinos. Trump has a similar issue where his supporters are more anti-establishment than pro-Trump. Because of this, it's shaping up to be the most negative presidential race in recent memory, with both sides trying to rile up support and turnout by demonizing the other side.

Trump shouldn't have a chance.

But Hillary gives him a huge chance.

People hate corrupt bitches even more than arrogant fools.

Back
Top Bottom