• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Whole turkey, frozen vs fresh

ecofarm

global liberation
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
At the grocery store, the fresh turkeys (buying for someone) were in a cold bin that had not been turned up, was still in freeze mode from previous stock, and froze the fresh turkeys. The meat woman at the store tells me there ain't no difference, and the ones meant to be frozen and so frozen proper would actually be better than the fresh accidentally frozen. I suspect it wasn't such an accident with Christmas some days away.

No difference between frozen and fresh?

The whole thing is insane, but this detail makes me wonder. What's the deal.

Last edited:
At the grocery store, the fresh turkeys (buying for someone) were in a cold bin that had not been turned up, was still in freeze mode from previous stock, and froze the fresh turkeys. The meat woman at the store tells me there ain't no difference, and the ones meant to be frozen and so frozen proper would actually be better than the fresh accidentally frozen.

It is my opinion that most “fresh” food has been frozen or partially frozen during processing and shipping. Want fresh, raise your own......

It is my opinion that most “fresh” food has been frozen or partially frozen during processing and shipping. Want fresh, raise your own......

Agreed, people are too distant and removed from their food. Grocery store whole turkey: Difference between "fresh" and frozen?

At the grocery store, the fresh turkeys (buying for someone) were in a cold bin that had not been turned up, was still in freeze mode from previous stock, and froze the fresh turkeys. The meat woman at the store tells me there ain't no difference, and the ones meant to be frozen and so frozen proper would actually be better than the fresh accidentally frozen. I suspect it wasn't such an accident with Christmas some days away.

We always get a 20-24 lb frozen. The fresh are harder to deal with in a number of ways and you have to buy them so close to the time you're going to cook them.

Agreed, people are too distant and removed from their food. Grocery store whole turkey. Difference between "fresh" and frozen?

When was the “fresh” one slaughtered?

When was the “fresh” one slaughtered?

When the grocery store ordered it from the turkey factory. How tf am I supposed to know.

Fresh means essentially that it was never in a "deep freeze" or well below 32. But most fresh food during transport or storage is also kept right at or below 32 because it's just safer and they freeze up a bit.

I've baked and smoked over a dozen turkeys. Frozen is easier to me and if thawed in a fridge properly and cooked properly it produces tender meat and great results. Bad turkey is bas because it's over seasoned, under seasoned or over cooked. My mother in law doesn't understand why my turkeys are so much better than hers. She thinks it's cause I smoke them low and slow and she bakes them. In reality it's cause I cook mine perfectly to 165 and take it off the heat to rest and chill for an hour or two. She bakes it in an oven at 350 for hours on end and way over cooks it. I temp'd her turkey in the oven one time and it was already 215 and she was asking if I thought it was done. Needless to say it was pretty dry. But any turkey is edible with some good gravy ;)

When the grocery store ordered it from the turkey factory. How tf am I supposed to know.

Go with frozen!

There are two types of mortuary cold chambers: Positive temperature. Bodies are kept between 2 °C (36 °F) and 4 °C (39 °F). While this is usually used for keeping bodies for up to several weeks, it does not prevent decomposition, which continues at a slower rate than at room temperature.

Dead people, dead turkeys, samey/samey...

Last edited:
Turkey is turkey. Don't overcook it and you should be fine. My favorite is smoked on the treager with apple wood.

I'm surprised there's not a "when the flesh freezes, it breaks cell walls and damages texture and quality" kinda thing.

There should be a "use by" date on real fresh turkey's.

Unfortunately, many stores will put a "chill" (semi-frozen state) on fresh turkeys to stretch out their sale-ability.

I'd just go with the frozen birds and not roll the dice.

So pretty much, the fresh thing is a gimmick. I mean, gourmet is one thing, but grocery store brands... it's for cooking soon and that's it?

So pretty much, the fresh thing is a gimmick. I mean, gourmet is one thing, but grocery store brands... it's for cooking soon and that's it?

How far ahead are you planning for?

If you refreeze now and then they can be used as a door-stop????

How far ahead are you planning for?

If you refreeze now and then they can be used as a door-stop????

Solid I could probably get it jump qualified for nice drumsticks.

Solid I could probably get it jump qualified for nice drumsticks.

Frozen to the proper consistency, it will bounce or auger in!

“Gory, gory, paratrooper......he ain’t gonna jump no more.”

Frozen to the proper consistency, it will bounce or auger in!

“Gory, gory, paratrooper......he ain’t gonna jump no more.”

Lapes counts for a frozen turkey.

Last edited:

The Nerdy King of all things Cuisine, Alton Brown, said that there is absolutely no difference between frozen and fresh, except for like about $2.00 a pound. He always buys frozen, and said that there is no reason not to, because there is no difference in taste or quality.

He also said don't waste your money on "free range" turkeys, either, because "free range" simply means that the cages are open for 15 minutes a day to let them roam free.

Pretty much, yes, it's a gimmick. That, and the free-range turkey.

I'm not a big fan of the "organic" phase, either. I don't trust anybody. If I want true organic, and know what's in my food, I grow it myself. Otherwise, there's no way to really know.

We always get a 20-24 lb frozen. The fresh are harder to deal with in a number of ways and you have to buy them so close to the time you're going to cook them.

Geez Louise, buddy. 20-24? I have a large family, too, and we used to do that. Then I realized that buying two smaller turkeys worked out far better. They are usually more tender (because they are younger), they thaw faster, they cook faster, and bonus!! 4 drumsticks!! :lol:

I mean, if Publix has turkeys on sale for .59 cents a pound, a 20-lb turkey is $11.80. 2 10-lb turkeys are $5.90 each, or $11.80 for two.

Pretty much, yes, it's a gimmick. That, and the free-range turkey.

I'm not a big fan of the "organic" phase, either. I don't trust anybody. If I want true organic, and know what's in my food, I grow it myself. Otherwise, there's no way to really know.

I always thought “free range” was BS....

I believe that affects vegetables more than meats.

It does. Certain fruits as well. That's why you can't freeze strawberries and have them thaw in their original form.

Alton Brown told me that, too. :lol:

I used to watch Good Eats alot.

Back
Top Bottom