• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Whole turkey, frozen vs fresh

It is true that when you freeze meat, you change it and not for the better. With Turkey, it's negligible. Freeze ham and you will ruin it. The texture will be off.

Have you, or anyone else, noticed a difference in steak when it's frozen? I grabbed 3 ribeyes and was going to cook them right away, and had unexpected company for a couple of days, and had to freeze them.

I normally like to cook them fresh, but these have been frozen for a few weeks now. I just wonder if they'll be as good once they are thawed.

I see nothing wrong with frozen turkeys. But when it comes to good prime rib you need to visit your meat market and get good aged beef. The stuff you get at Kroger or Costco etc. will be disappointing.

I never stuffed a turkey always fixed a mean dressing instead but I would always fill the cavity of the bird with celery, onion, apple, herbs and orange. It helps to keep the bird moist and seasoned. I always had a house full to feed. The bird I would roast the day before once it cooled I would carve and place it into a container and pour a can of turkey broth over it to keep it moist. It would be heated up and served first and be quite moist. Trust me your guests will not know it wasn't just roasted and rave about how moist it is.

This past Thanksgiving, I tried a new recipe for my turkey. I dry-brined it, with salt, rosemary and lemon zest. Most amazing turkey ever, and I generally make really good turkeys.

There were no left-overs to fight over this time, though. :lol:

Yup, all turkeys taste the same, which is why we're having lamb this Christmas. :mrgreen:

I am feeding 10. Not ready to take a second mortgage out on my house to feed 10 people lamb.

:lol:

I'm going with the traditional Christmas goose. As in, I'll grab my girl's ass while she's making me a ham. HAM I SAY

You can't have two turkey holidays within a month of each other. F that ****. Turkey is for thanksgiving, ham or a nice roast is for Christmas, ham is for Easter, hot dogs and gunpowder are for the fourth of july, corned beef and alcoholism are for St. Patrick's Day, some nice tree bark is for arbor day. Period. End of discussion.

Sounds a lot like me. I do turkey for Thanksgiving, but then, because my husband is such a huge turkey fan, I do another turkey for Christmas, plus I always do a Christmas ham. Then I do a ham for Easter. Always, always do NY style cheesecakes for the major holidays, too.

Sounds a lot like me. I do turkey for Thanksgiving, but then, because my husband is such a huge turkey fan, I do another turkey for Christmas, plus I always do a Christmas ham. Then I do a ham for Easter. Always, always do NY style cheesecakes for the major holidays, too.

Venison chili and tamales for Christmas eve.

On my way

I will buy my frozen turkeys from Kroger but not a standing rib roast or other expensive cuts of meat.

If you can find a better deal on a standing rib roast more power to ya! The quality of the meat is choice. That's good enough for me. I am not paying prime prices.

Oh. Thanks. Honestly, sounds like a long, boring way to overcook a steak. :lol:

I turn my cast iron skillet on until it starts to smoke just a bit, then I toss my steak in (after it is salted and at room temp) with no oil or fat, for 2 minutes, each side. Then 1 minute basting with butter, flip, 1 minute basting with butter, and done. Perfect medium rare for about a 1 lb ribeye.

If you aren't going to grill it, this is the way to do it.

Have you, or anyone else, noticed a difference in steak when it's frozen? I grabbed 3 ribeyes and was going to cook them right away, and had unexpected company for a couple of days, and had to freeze them.

I normally like to cook them fresh, but these have been frozen for a few weeks now. I just wonder if they'll be as good once they are thawed.

You can do it, but it's not as good. I will freeze steaks also but you do lose a little bit of quality when you do it. It's easier to get away with because we cook them medium rare. I think you notice it more with medium well and well done (ruined IMO) steaks.

Venison chili and tamales for Christmas eve.

We usually go out to eat on Christmas eve. Not sure what we are doing this year. Kind of up in the air. Yours sounds delicious, though!

If you aren't going to grill it, this is the way to do it.

I just don't have good luck cooking steak on a grill. I like a wicked hard char on it, and I just can't seem to get that on a grill.

You can do it, but it's not as good. I will freeze steaks also but you do lose a little bit of quality when you do it. It's easier to get away with because we cook them medium rare. I think you notice it more with medium well and well done (ruined IMO) steaks.

Before I would ruin my steaks by cooking them at any temp over medium-rare, I'd cut them up and turn them into beef stew or chili.

I just don't have good luck cooking steak on a grill. I like a wicked hard char on it, and I just can't seem to get that on a grill.

I use lump charcoal. It burns hotter and cleaner. The heat is the key to a good sear.

Before I would ruin my steaks by cooking them at any temp over medium-rare, I'd cut them up and turn them into beef stew or chili.

Steak quesadillas are nice too.

I use lump charcoal. It burns hotter and cleaner. The heat is the key to a good sear.

May give that a shot. I only cook on a charcoal grill. Gas grills are ****. They are just for people who like cooking outside, but don't like the grilled flavor. What's the point?

May give that a shot. I only cook on a charcoal grill. Gas grills are ****. They are just for people who like cooking outside, but don't like the grilled flavor. What's the point?

Gas grills are for hot dogs for the kids.

Gas grills are for hot dogs for the kids.

I don't even like them for that. They are ****ing useless.

I have a $400 gas grill that sits on my patio that never gets used. I have a $150 Weber that gets used all the time.

When was the “fresh” one slaughtered?

Turkeys are not slaughtered. They are harvested. :)

At one of our local groceries the fresh ones come from a local farm near the next town south, some 25 miles away. They are more expensive than the frozen but for Thanksgiving and Christmas, we go fresh every time.

Turkeys are not slaughtered. They are harvested. :)

At one of our local groceries the fresh ones come from a local farm near the next town south, some 25 miles away. They are more expensive than the frozen but for Thanksgiving and Christmas, we go fresh every time.

You say potato; I say potaato. After their heads are cut off and the insides “removed,” they stuff the gizzard back into the body. In addition the life turkeys lead up to “harvest” time are less than ideal.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/la-ed-turkey-slaughter-20171122-story.html

Goose is gamy af. I am ok with duck, but goose is kinda grody.

The Christmas goose I had with them wasnt gamey at all, though I wish I had gotten the recipe. I can only eat duck Peking style.

Convenience.

Ability to cook at precisely the temperature you want.

Safe to use in places charcoal grills may not be.

I dunno. I have a gas grill and I don't think it has no 'grill flavor'. It's not quite the same as charcoal but it's not a huge difference. I can definitely taste the difference between grilling a steak on it and 'grilling'/searing it indoors on cast iron (whether flat or griddle). Ditto for sausages, chicken breasts, etc.

Back
Top Bottom