• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Whole Foods to halt carrying Maine lobster after loss of certification

well now they lost my business, and they had some decent stuff but Shaw's here I go
I can't figure out what has your knickers in such a twist over this.

I read the MSC "notice of suspension" available here:

and it says that a federal court ruling determined that the 2021 lobster regulations do not conform to the ESA or the Marine Mammal Protection Act, and that the MSC standard requires conformity with those national objectives. The MSC certification process demands they suspend certification of the fishery until the court ruling is addressed.

Whole Foods, in turn, relies on MSC certification to identify sustainable fisheries. You are peeved at the wrong entities. The court ruling initiated a cascade that neither the MSC nor Whole Foods had a choice in.

go to Rockland Maine and face those guys and tell them tough titty
If your customer asks you to do something, you do it, if you want to keep that customer.

Pretty simple really. What part of this are you having difficulty with?

I can't figure out what has your knickers in such a twist over this.

I read the MSC "notice of suspension" available here:

and it says that a federal court ruling determined that the 2021 lobster regulations do not conform to the ESA or the Marine Mammal Protection Act, and that the MSC standard requires conformity with those national objectives. The MSC certification process demands they suspend certification of the fishery until the court ruling is addressed.

Whole Foods, in turn, relies on MSC certification to identify sustainable fisheries. You are peeved at the wrong entities. The court ruling initiated a cascade that neither the MSC nor Whole Foods had a choice in.
From the ARTICLE In the most recent assessment by the assessor, no evidence was found that the Maine lobster fishery is responsible for entanglements or interactions with right whales.

From the ARTICLE In the most recent assessment by the assessor, no evidence was found that the Maine lobster fishery is responsible for entanglements or interactions with right whales.
So? I suggest you read the notice of suspension. Or perhaps dig for the court ruling to understand why the court found the way it did. I'm just pointing out that your ire is misdirected.

Nobody has mentioned that there are two types of lobstering along the New England coast. The one that employs the majority of lobstermen is coastal where the traps are set in waters less than 100 feet deep., often less than 50 feet down. The other is offshore lobstering in much deeper waters with the traps attached to long lines from buoys on the surface and then running along the bottom between the scattered traps. It is the offshore lobstering that has caught a few right whales in the trap lines.

well now they lost my business, and they had some decent stuff but Shaw's here I go
No great loss for them.
Congrats on such childish, self-centered posts.

Nobody has mentioned that there are two types of lobstering along the New England coast. The one that employs the majority of lobstermen is coastal where the traps are set in waters less than 100 feet deep., often less than 50 feet down. The other is offshore lobstering in much deeper waters with the traps attached to long lines from buoys on the surface and then running along the bottom between the scattered traps. It is the offshore lobstering that has caught a few right whales in the trap lines.
Do you have a source for that? I don't know what the court ruling was, but I visited Maine this summer and met a lot of lobster fisherman of the first type. Would like to know more about the deep water lobstering.

Dungeness crab harvests are being delayed on the west coast as well.

Whole Foods has a “sustainability” rating that must be met to purchase product.

The Maine Lobster industry has not been shut down - Whole Foods simply won’t purchase from them.

The lobster fisherman have ablut 2 years to comply with regulations set.

Fishing regulations change all the time. It’s part of the industry.

"NO Lobstah rolls for youse!"

• According to data collected by the National Marine Fisheries Service, no right whale deaths or serious injuries have ever been documented in Maine lobster gear. I have many good friends who are lobster fishermen.
  • “This is an outrageous act with very real-world consequences, and no real scientific evidence,” US Sen. Angus King (I-Maine) fumed to The Post. “It’s infuriating.” this was from the fake independent
  • https://nypost.com/2022/09/07/avoid-maine-lobster-due-to-threat-to-right-whales/ sounds more like you would like me to make it political
I have confirmed that you have not yet stepped up and offered to make up for Whole Foods’ business yourself. May I ask why? Do you not care for the fisherman? Does the prospect of greater unemployment give you feelings of pleasure? I see a lot of whining in your posts but not a lot of solutions—much less what we ought to see, which is your willingness to show personal commitment to solve this issue with your own two hands…. And of course the resources of the large grocery chain that you’re surely CEO of.

Let us know when you’ve enacted a solution. There are plenty of others we can count on to whine about the problem. But from you, we expect better as I’m sure you expect of yourself as well.

Thanks in advance for helping the fishermen out.

I have confirmed that you have not yet stepped up and offered to make up for Whole Foods’ business yourself. May I ask why? Do you not care for the fisherman? Does the prospect of greater unemployment give you feelings of pleasure? I see a lot of whining in your posts but not a lot of solutions—much less what we ought to see, which is your willingness to show personal commitment to solve this issue with your own two hands…. And of course the resources of the large grocery chain that you’re surely CEO of.

Let us know when you’ve enacted a solution. There are plenty of others we can count on to whine about the problem. But from you, we expect better as I’m sure you expect of yourself as well.

Thanks in advance for helping the fishermen out.
read the thread

Nov. 22 (UPI) -- Whole foods will stop purchasing and stocking lobster fished from the Gulf of Maine after a nonprofit organization decertified the state over harmful fishing practices last week.

Thanks, I am not going there anymore, fishing is coastal and there are democrats there! Hm maybe this will help with unemployment?
Maine may have the best lobsters you can get in the U.S, . but they are not the best by a long shot. The colder the water, the better the lobster. Fish where the ice-burgs flow like Newfoundland, and you get much better lobster. Do it ethically though.

the main bitch is the traps now cost about 90 dollars and the new trap that apparently has no track record, costs 900 bucks and these boats run on diesel

LOL. Be better than that type of post.
I once took a client who worked for Pfizer & his wife out to lunch on the Island of Long Sound in Mystic, CT. We all had boiled lobster for lunch. At the hotel at 2AM I became so sick I think I was near death. Shellfish poisoning. My lobster ate something bad for his last meal & it damned near put me into the hospital. That was 20 years ago & I still can't face eating lobster.

Back
Top Bottom