• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who would you support?

maquiscat

Maquis Admiral
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
I have often said that if you are voting for or against a person simply because there is an R or D next to their name, you are an idiot. I always vote people not party. And being rather libertarian (but not always agreeing with the LP) the following question really won't apply to me, as it will also not likely apply to others who aren't normally R or D.

I want to know if there is anyone in the opposite party from yours that you would support in a heartbeat despite being in the other party. For example, many Democrats in MD love Gov Hogan, even though he is a Republican.

So who would you vote for even if they are in the opposite party? FOr the purposes of this question, they need not be someone whom you actually could vote for. i.e They could be part of another state or county or whatever, but you would vote for them if you were there.

I have often said that if you are voting for or against a person simply because there is an R or D next to their name, you are an idiot. I always vote people not party. And being rather libertarian (but not always agreeing with the LP) the following question really won't apply to me, as it will also not likely apply to others who aren't normally R or D.

In today's world, both sides are not the same. One side is trying to repair democracy, and the other side is trying to subvert it. I'll let rational posts say which side is which.

I want to know if there is anyone in the opposite party from yours that you would support in a heartbeat despite being in the other party. For example, many Democrats in MD love Gov Hogan, even though he is a Republican.

So who would you vote for even if they are in the opposite party? FOr the purposes of this question, they need not be someone whom you actually could vote for. i.e They could be part of another state or county or whatever, but you would vote for them if you were there.

I would vote for Dwight Eisenhower in a heartbeat.

Ben Sasse, the Republican Governor of Nebraska is the only one that I can think of at the moment.

Liz Cheney and Mitt Romney. I do not agree with their politics but I admire them for standing up to their own party and keeping their integrity intact and their oath to the constitution.

I have never supported either party. Democrats are shrill and intolerant, while Republicans can be smug and self indulgent. Both extremes get offensive.

In today's world, both sides are not the same. One side is trying to repair democracy, and the other side is trying to subvert it. I'll let rational posts say which side is which.

Even within a given party, not all the members are the same. I point again to Hogan and how he's handled this past year and a half of pandemic and his going above and beyond, as well as being a leader among governors in helping stem the spread

I would vote for Dwight Eisenhower in a heartbeat.
I was rather looking for someone alive and active in politics today....unless there is another Dwight Eisenhower I am not aware of.

Ben Sasse, the Republican Governor of Nebraska is the only one that I can think of at the moment.
Exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Thank you.

I have never supported either party. Democrats are shrill and intolerant, while Republicans can be smug and self indulgent. Both extremes get offensive.
I did note that this would be more for those who are already R or D. I can't really reply for the same reason. I've always said that Dems want to control my wallet and Reps want to control my bedroom

Personally, I would love to see a Hogan (R) and Franchot (D) (the current MD Comptroller) ticket for President next time. It would throw both parties in a tizzy.

I won't vote for anyone in the Democratic Party and there are very few people in the Republican Party that I'll vote for.

I'm not a member of any Party.

Liz Cheney and Mitt Romney. I do not agree with their politics but I admire them for standing up to their own party and keeping their integrity intact and their oath to the constitution.
Liz Cheney yes, Romney no. One is sincere, the other is calculating the next step in his political career.
I consider myself not an R or D, but a law and order middle of the road gal who is married to a liberal man who had to deal with bigotry most of his life. I abhor politicians, politics really. It is a con game at best. That is why I like Bernie Sanders, a sincere man as far as I can tell.

Barry Goldwater.

There has not been a republican in the past 20+ years that I have supported except for the occasional single issue. Reagan and Neo-conservatism destroyed any chance that I would ever support the GOP platform.

Even within a given party, not all the members are the same. I point again to Hogan and how he's handled this past year and a half of pandemic and his going above and beyond, as well as being a leader among governors in helping stem the spread

Republicans like Mr. Hogan are an endangered species. Only in a blue state such as Maryland can a decent Republican win.

The party is being taken over by nutjobs such as Matt Gaetz, MTG, and donald trump.

I have often said that if you are voting for or against a person simply because there is an R or D next to their name, you are an idiot.

This is untrue.

I have not even read the rest of your post as this was so ridiculous.

I won't vote for anyone in the Democratic Party and there are very few people in the Republican Party that I'll vote for.

I'm not a member of any Party.

figures

I have often said that if you are voting for or against a person simply because there is an R or D next to their name, you are an idiot.

I would say the opposite.

I always vote people not party.

You mean well, but it comes from simply not understanding the nature of politics and the parties today, how much more party matters to the most important thing - how they vote - than the individual. Not 1 in 100 seats has the individual outweighh the party in importance. I hate to have to say that, but that's too bad, it's the case.

Again I wish I could say yes; the answer is no. When the 'good' members of the opposition are people like a caricature of Scrooge McDuck plutocrat Mitt Romney, or Liz Cheney who is simply monstrous, you're a long way from finding such people. If you want to really look, we could talk about former Republican Lincoln Chafee as a good guy.

I think you're well intentioned but fighting a straw man. You think you're fighting against people ignorantly and blindly supporting a 'team' and trying to get them to look at more, but ironically you are ignorantly fighting for the idea that the teams have more similar, varied in quality people more than they do and that party matters less than it does. It's unfortunate, but supporting one party entirely is extremely justified today.

And even in the rare case an individual Republican might be better than an individual Democrat, when the effect of adding to the party is taken into account, it's almost always going to have the party effect outweigh any benefit from the person. For decades, Republicans are simply the party of plutocracy and a secondary right-wing social policy agenda to get votes, and that's it. When you get more informed, initial desire for bi-partisanship understand it's a mistake.

The person you vote for, votes their party line 90-95% of the time. Vote for the person that represents your general outlook on life (liberal or conservative), because that's what you'll get 90-95% of the time...

In today’s GOP, it’s hard to find a sane person. The few who are left plan to retire.

Nobody who desires power should be allowed to attain it. Simply by wanting to be President, that person is disqualified. Civil service should not be voluntary, it should not pay well at all, it should suck the whole time you're there and you should never want to do it again.

Liz Cheney yes, Romney no. One is sincere, the other is calculating the next step in his political career.
I consider myself not an R or D, but a law and order middle of the road gal who is married to a liberal man who had to deal with bigotry most of his life. I abhor politicians, politics really. It is a con game at best. That is why I like Bernie Sanders, a sincere man as far as I can tell.
I'm with you. People call bernie crazy and yet as far as I can tell bernie is one of the few in congress who really cares about we the people.
I voted for him twice in the primaries. As a matter of fact, I got back into the democratic party just so I could vote for him in the 2016 primary. I was a registered independent for about fifteen years. I got out of the democratic party after clinton signed nafta. I am not for free trade. I'm for fair trade.

This is untrue.

I have not even read the rest of your post as this was so ridiculous.
Since it's an opinion then it cannot be untrue. Are you really that shallow that you never consider a person can be better than your perception of his party? Or that one is no good for your party?

I'm still a registered Republican (and still a Republican at heart - I mean the real Republican Party, not the party of Trump the Diaper Wetter) and I voted for every Democrat on my ballot in 2020 because I want the once great GOP to implode and then rebuild itself back to what it once was.

Since it's an opinion then it cannot be untrue. Are you really that shallow that you never consider a person can be better than your perception of his party? Or that one is no good for your party?

I am not a simpleton that ignores the value which can be had from voting as a block as you obviously did to make such an inane statement.

I don't recall ever voting straight party line in my life pre Trump. I am a republican that mostly voted republican.

I think it immoral to vote for any republican as long as Trumpism rules the party as it does now.

I don't recall ever voting straight party line in my life pre Trump. I am a republican that mostly voted republican.

So then you do vote according to the person, and not automatically what party they are in. Despite he fact that most of the time (pre-trump) your votes landed in one party, the very fact that you made votes outside the party shows you are more concerned about the person than the party. And in all honesty, whatever party holds most of your values, I expect them to receive the majority of your votes.

So then you do vote according to the person, and not automatically what party they are in. Despite he fact that most of the time (pre-trump) your votes landed in one party, the very fact that you made votes outside the party shows you are more concerned about the person than the party. And in all honesty, whatever party holds most of your values, I expect them to receive the majority of your votes.

There is a time and place for everything. No way I would vote for any republican today.

It's no longer about political philosophy, it is a choice between good and evil.

I'm with you. People call bernie crazy and yet as far as I can tell bernie is one of the few in congress who really cares about we the people.
I voted for him twice in the primaries. As a matter of fact, I got back into the democratic party just so I could vote for him in the 2016 primary. I was a registered independent for about fifteen years. I got out of the democratic party after clinton signed nafta. I am not for free trade. I'm for fair trade.
That's just it. We should get behind fair trade so that hard working folks t/o the world can make a decent living. Free trade does no such thing.
Who knows, perhaps next time around a younger and more charismatic 'Bernie' will come about, one who draws in the crowd for the right reasons. The icing on the cake would be on an Independent ticket.

Back
Top Bottom