• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who would you have voted for in 1972?

Who would you have voted for in 1972?

• Total voters

SDET

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
I ask this question because I see similarities between 1972 and 2016. Clinton is as McGovern. Trump is as Nixon. Do you think Nixon/Ford was a conservative administration? Remember the National 55 MPH Speed Limit? Remember WIN (Whip Inflation Now) wage and price controls? Remember OSHA? Remember the visit to Red China? Remember who founded the EPA? With Trump being so "shoot from the hip", will he even finish his term if elected? If Trump doesn't finish a term, will the effect on the GOP be similar to 1974?

I ask this question because I see similarities between 1972 and 2016. Clinton is as McGovern. Trump is as Nixon. Do you think Nixon/Ford was a conservative administration? Remember the National 55 MPH Speed Limit? Remember WIN (Whip Inflation Now) wage and price controls? Remember OSHA? Remember the visit to Red China? Remember who founded the EPA? With Trump being so "shoot from the hip", will he even finish his term if elected? If Trump doesn't finish a term, will the effect on the GOP be similar to 1974?

I would say the opposite. The nixonesc figure is Clinton, being experienced and smelling of corruption as she does. Trump is the wild card man in this case with mad ideas.

Would have? I did vote, McGovern.

Having actually voted in that election I'd say your prospective is a bit off. Nixon and Ford were very conservative in their day. Where you get off the trail is using today's highly radicalized version of Conservative. Since the 70's Conservatives have jumped the fence into a strange ideological world where 'invisible hands' guide the market place, the government is our enemy unless it enforces a Conservative social agenda then let's get government knee deep into very private parts of citizen's lives.

Nixon was a opportunist politician who learned from his mistakes and set the Presidency as his goal. A man of many flaws and a hard driving ambition. He had a paranoid complex that was one of the biggest factors in his downfall. He went from early 'commie' fighter and political pit bull for Ike to understanding splitting the Sino-Russian alliance was essential for a continued strong America.

I miss the days when I was a progressive republican... :peace

Professor Hospers. (He actually got one electoral vote).

In 72 I was to too busy chasing girls and getting high and did not care. Same reason why those kids today should not vote.

I would say the opposite. The nixonesc figure is Clinton, being experienced and smelling of corruption as she does. Trump is the wild card man in this case with mad ideas.
You know Jo, I think an argument for that can be made! :thumbs:

In 72 I was to too busy chasing girls and getting high and did not care. Same reason why those kids today should not vote.
:lamo

The reason we laugh at stereotypes is because they're often true!

I'm with you here brother, and I wouldn't live it again anyway different! :thumbs:

Presuming it was 1972 and had no awareness of Watergate (like everyone else in this country): Nixon without question.

I also must add what's perhaps Nixon's most lasting impact: Forming the DEA.

Perhaps nothing has cost American citizens more pain and Constitutional loss, than the War on Drugs; though I must credit the Reagans with taking Nixon's DEA to wholly unprecedented levels! :(

Presuming it was 1972 and had no awareness of Watergate (like everyone else in this country): Nixon without question.
Bah - you otherwise seem like such a sensible guy! :2razz:

I'll give him his due on foreign policy though, but then who couldn't do foreign policy with Dr. Kissinger in their cabinet?

Not even close. McGovern was more Bernie Sanders, and had years in elected positions. He was in the end a gentleman with a lot of class...something in deficit in Hilary

In comparison to Trump, Nixon was a great president. Can you really see Trump breaking through the barriers and opening China? He doesn't have the diplomatic ability in his DNA. The stupid twit isn't even elected yet and has worried US allies and shaken them severely with ignorant ranting about a 45% tariff. Nixon was an experienced lawyer, senator, vice president....Trump is a four time bankrupt who could give a **** what poor people eat

Which must make a lot of people very nervous since he just may get elected.

Bah - you otherwise seem like such a sensible guy! :2razz:

I'll give him his due on foreign policy though, but then who couldn't do foreign policy with Dr. Kissinger in their cabinet?

To be fully transparent, I am predisposed to vote for Nixon even with Watergate in the balance. I'm not a McGovernite.

1972 was the first year I followed politics. I would have voted for Nixon. I have learned much since then.

I was too young to vote but my parents voted for Nixon and I would have as well.

Not sure. Back then, voting Republican was a viable option.

Neither one. I wasn't alive.

Perhaps nothing has cost American citizens more pain and Constitutional loss, than the War on Drugs; though I must credit the Reagans with taking Nixon's DEA to wholly unprecedented levels! :(

And the whole War on Drugs was nothing more than a "look tough on crime" strategy on Nixon's part. The whole thing started because the man was casting about for ways to insure his re-election.

Yep. Nixon started it, but Reagan put it on steroids (no pun intended).

Bobby Orr.

He was my first - and last - hero.

Back
Top Bottom