• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who would want to be a teacher now in many states

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
States are passing laws to make teaching an almost impossible job to keep without being sued. In one state you get sued if you mention the word gay or teach any subject that makes a student "feel uncomfortable" How the hell is any teacher able to understand what makes every student they teach uncomfortable, it is impossible and the law suits will come, no doubt. In another state is trying to pass a bill that you can not teach anything that goes against the religion of your students, or you will be sued. In another state they are passing a law that requires you to say the pledge of allegiance, which violates a person's right to free speech, but who cares about their rights, right? In many states including my own, school districts are having a hard time hiring qualified teachers. In fact my state has lowered the standard for hiring teachers and they are still having trouble getting anyone who is willing to teach for so little and get shit on so much. I would never tell my children or relatives to go into teaching, NEVER. It seems we are no longer teaching facts, just propaganda.

This is one of the key areas that has destroyed America .

Your kids are an embarrassment . Low IQs, not smart and entrained by the Fairy Fluffers .

Generalisation but tragically largely true

States are passing laws to make teaching an almost impossible job to keep without being sued. In one state you get sued if you mention the word gay or teach any subject that makes a student "feel uncomfortable" How the hell is any teacher able to understand what makes every student they teach uncomfortable, it is impossible and the law suits will come, no doubt. In another state is trying to pass a bill that you can not teach anything that goes against the religion of your students, or you will be sued. In another state they are passing a law that requires you to say the pledge of allegiance, which violates a person's right to free speech, but who cares about their rights, right? In many states including my own, school districts are having a hard time hiring qualified teachers. In fact my state has lowered the standard for hiring teachers and they are still having trouble getting anyone who is willing to teach for so little and get shit on so much. I would never tell my children or relatives to go into teaching, NEVER. It seems we are no longer teaching facts, just propaganda.
Got any specifics, such which states these are? I do have to say I've seen some of these claims elsewhere with a thorough analysis attached and they are far less dramatic and alarming than you descriptions.

so what class in school needs to talk about "gay or lesbian?" and why is it an issue if they cant discuss sexual orientations in class?

is that what our classes are for now?

and again, why should religion pro or con be EVER brought up in a classroom? unless you are in a private religious school, it has no place

and most anyone over 45 said the pledge of allegiance while they went to school....i dont see why kids cant say it again

once you are out of school, you can do whatever you want.....in school, you follow their rules and guidelines

and if teachers dont want to teach under these rules, i guess they can look for new professions

i hear Starbucks is hiring

We could definitely lose some good teachers to other professions. That would suck.

so what class in school needs to talk about "gay or lesbian?" and why is it an issue if they cant discuss sexual orientations in class?

and again, why should religion pro or con be EVER brought up in a classroom? unless you are in a private religious school, it has no place

and most anyone over 45 said the pledge of allegiance while they went to school....i dont see why kids cant say it again

once you are out of school, you can do whatever you want.....in school, you follow their rules and guidelines

and if teachers dont want to teach under these rules, i guess they can look for new professions

Kids shouldn't be forced to say the pledge of allegiance in school, ever, particularly not with the McCarthy era change of adding "under God".

When it comes to being "gay or lesbian", relationships are brought up in school. Such conversations are discussed. Hell, I debated for same sex marriage when I was in high school.

Part of the point though is to force teachers out who are against these things. Just like part of the point is getting people to sue school systems rather than the actual people responsible for the laws or rules that lead to this. If that is done, if public schools are reduced, then they have an argument to get vouchers for private schools implemented at a larger level and to allow for profit schools to become established on the K-12 level. This will lead to ITT Tech, DeVry, Trump University type schools taking the place of real schools, of public schools, further degrading our education but at least its "private".

I would never tell my children or relatives to go into teaching,
As we all know, the United States of America is fast a-changing.

No conscientious person should waste four years of college to become a public school teacher, for s/he will soon drop out because of the total lack of discipline in large city public schools.

Thanks to the Obama administration, for example, defiance may no longer be punished by suspension (because certain students claimed that they were being picked on. Yeah. Right!).

A teacher is lucky if s/he is able to leave school in the afternoon without having been assaulted. Of course, a teacher must learn to never contradict a student:

Teacher: Please sit in the first seat of the third row.
Student: I sit where I please. Do you understand?
Teacher: Yes. I apologize.

We could definitely lose some good teachers to other professions. That would suck.
It would especially if those poor teachers remain.

Just the way republicans want it, so they can push privatization and greedy people can profit off education while leaving behind the downtrodden.
the pay is also garbage, but god forbid republican's support paying decent wages for a very important profession

it already wasn't a great profession. Long hours, underfunded, underpaid, having to deal with asshole parents who are only getting worse, etc

look at the pitiful salaries of many of the red states, teachers pretty much in poverty

Last edited:
You and I have very little hope of common ground on the topic of education.
Probably not. The ones that are good should be praised the ones that are bad should be made public and find new careers. You seem to hold a different view.

States are passing laws to make teaching an almost impossible job to keep without being sued. In one state you get sued if you mention the word gay or teach any subject that makes a student "feel uncomfortable" How the hell is any teacher able to understand what makes every student they teach uncomfortable, it is impossible and the law suits will come, no doubt. In another state is trying to pass a bill that you can not teach anything that goes against the religion of your students, or you will be sued. In another state they are passing a law that requires you to say the pledge of allegiance, which violates a person's right to free speech, but who cares about their rights, right? In many states including my own, school districts are having a hard time hiring qualified teachers. In fact my state has lowered the standard for hiring teachers and they are still having trouble getting anyone who is willing to teach for so little and get shit on so much.

What's the down side?

Hopefully they'll all retire or quit, and then we can finally abolish this horrible institution that spends $150,000 of taxpayer money over 12 years to produce an illiterate, innumerate, adult.

What's the down side?

Hopefully they'll all retire or quit, and then we can finally abolish this horrible institution that spends $150,000 of taxpayer money over 12 years to produce an illiterate, innumerate, adult.

Private enterprise can do for our education system what it's done for our prison and Healthcare systems.

They are the ones who look to collect a check above all else.

Exactly. Once the creative teachers are forced out, that's what you'll have.

Exactly. Once the creative teachers are forced out, that's what you'll have.
I understand your point but if a teacher is truly creative then they will be able to teach within the limits. I still wouldn’t want to be a teacher in today’s world.

I understand your point but if a teacher is truly creative then they will be able to teach within the limits. I still wouldn’t want to be a teacher in today’s world.

Not with the law looming over their shoulders, and a small group of loud, angry parents pouring over your material.

Screenshot_20211029-140939_Brave.jpg

First, sarcasm-
Why don't we just replace all the teachers with robots?

Not with the law looming over their shoulders, and a small group of loud, angry parents pouring over your material.

View attachment 67376512

Not sarcasm- I meet new teachers, young , enthusiastic, ready to take on the world, and I'm worried for them.
When I meet young people who tell me they want to change the world, I have to be brutally honest with them, it's no longer a Good choice. Everyone wants something, and they are in the way of the true purpose. The legislature demands are incredible, a principal once told me, " no one has learned anything without the paperwork to prove it" the parents are hot headed about bizarre claims, and the admin will kick you out in a heartbeat. I won't quit because it's a vocation and purpose in life. My reason to get up every morning. But I wish I had been an electrician like my dad if I stop to think about it. So I don't think about it.

That's not a good reason.

Back
Top Bottom